Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stainless Steel  (Read 1143 times)

nimrod

Stainless Steel
« on: March 18, 2014, 11:51:40 PM »

Life seems to throw up new problems all the time..

Ive noticed quite a few st steel items Ive bought recently have started to go rusty and corode, even the ones indoors, like our 2 year old Russell Hobbs kettle, round the edge of the lid there is rust.
Also the st steel BBQ I bought about 3 years ago has corrosion all over it.
There seems to be a lot of st steel products made in China and this so called st steel has a large amount of iron in it.....I mean can it even be called st steel, isn't the idea of st steel that it doesn't corode ?

One way to detect wether an item you are looking at contains a lot of iron is to take a magnet with you and see if its magnetic, good quality st steel isn't as it has more chrome present.

info from wiki
Stainless steel differs from carbon steel by the amount of chromium present. Unprotected carbon steel rusts readily when exposed to air and moisture. This iron oxide film (the rust) is active and accelerates corrosion by forming more iron oxide, and due to the greater volume of the iron oxide this tends to flake and fall away. Stainless steels contain sufficient chromium to form a passive film of chromium oxide, which prevents further surface corrosion by blocking oxygen diffusion to the steel surface and blocks corrosion from spreading into the metal's internal structure, and due to the similar size of the steel and oxide ions they bond very strongly and remain attached to the surface

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Stainless Steel
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:31:09 AM »

I don't buy the crap that is made in China.
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:52:22 AM »

One way to detect wether an item you are looking at contains a lot of iron is to take a magnet with you and see if its magnetic, good quality st steel isn't as it has more chrome present.

I just tested my stainless steel dishwasher inside and out with a magnet. I thought it was good until I got to the inner side walls. It stuck. sh*t.  This thing was expensive too.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:54:44 AM »

I just tested my stainless steel dishwasher inside and out with a magnet. I thought it was good until I got to the inner side walls. It stuck. sh*t.  This thing was expensive too.

狗屎
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 05:40:28 AM »

Yeah even the front of our dishwasher the magnet sticks, supposed to be stainless

Its hard not to buy this stuff Baz as bloody everything seems to be made in China

The st steel sink in our laundry room is corroding and yes the magnet sticks, but it doesn't on the kitchen sink (no corrosion) , both from the same company, go figure

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »

I don't buy the crap that is made in China.

I try not to, either, but it seems almost impossible sometimes. It's getting easier now that the kids are older; virtually every child's toy and accessory is made in China, it seems -- or at least, they all were back in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Page created in 0.733 seconds with 43 queries.