Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What five things killed rock & roll?  (Read 13906 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: What five things killed rock & roll?
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2005, 11:22:34 AM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=othermusic,m=1088710371,s=2 date=1088714470]You say MTV killed music in the 80's but then say Nirvana killed it in the 90's. Huh? Anyway, Nirvana resurrected it from it's hairy abyss! All hail Kurt Cobain. ;)[/quote]

I agree... Nirvana totally saved rock music in the 90s...
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2005, 11:24:40 AM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=othermusic,m=1088710371,s=4 date=1088728471]Drugs
[/quote]

Even though I'm very much anti-drugs, it can't be denied that a lot of great rock music has been created under the influence of drugs... And what better way to become a rock legend than to die an early drug-related death?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2005, 11:47:50 AM »

[quote by=Biscuit_Power link=Blah.pl?b=othermusic,m=1088710371,s=41 date=1105961080]

Even though I'm very much anti-drugs, it can't be denied that a lot of great rock music has been created under the influence of drugs... And what better way to become a rock legend than to die an early drug-related death?[/quote]

This is true, but the point I was trying to make was that drugs also took so many good ones from us. Janice, Jimi, Moon, Bonham, Morrison, etc,,,,,,

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2005, 05:16:10 PM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=othermusic,m=1088710371,s=42 date=1105962470]

This is true, but the point I was trying to make was that drugs also took so many good ones from us. Janice, Jimi, Moon, Bonham, Morrison, etc,,,,,,
[/quote]

That is true, but on the other hand: those people maybe wouldn't have been half as legendary if they didn't die a very early, tragic death...

Why is Lennon more popular than McCartney? Because he died young. Everyone remembers him as a handsome <40 year old guy. When you say McCartney, more people think of a 60+ year old man.

Same thing with James Dean and Marlon Brandon. James Dean is still known as one of the sexiest men in Hollywood history. Marlon Brando is to most people the ugly fat guy from The Godfather.

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2005, 06:35:48 PM »

No correct music to make can

Paulsluv

• A Thousand Pages
  • Hold me tight, Paul!
    • My livejournal
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2005, 07:49:40 PM »

I agree: MarK David "I'm A Crazy Man" Chapman
Nstink, Backseat Boys, Britney "Slutty" Spears
Big record companies

I can't think of any others.

:K)
Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.--Lilo and Stitch.
Beatles to battle!--Paul, Yellow Submarine movie
Listen. Do you want to know a secret?
Have you hugged your Paul Today?
Drop me a letter in my mailbox. :D

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • &quot;The dude abides.&quot;
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2005, 10:35:09 PM »

What killed rock'n'roll was not an artist or fad.  What killed it was the audience's willingness to be dictated to--buy it as a product, like any other product.  When music became a product then it died.  Or dies. 

Maybe rock'n'roll is not dead at all, but is coming back to life via the internet.  Where you don't need the filter of A&R men or company promotion.  Or the push of the almighty dollar.  But it takes an audience willing to get out there and find the new acts.  Spread the word.  Change things.  Change yourself.

Just like the attitudes of the posts of some of these forums.  I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about a friend of mine who wrote a song about the Beatles Sgt. Pepper cover in the "News" section and you would have thought that I committed heresy.  (I had written a press release for the song that got wide distribution and was picked up by a number of online music news sources including several Beatles news site).  I don't care if you like the song or the press release (which was kinda a joke), or that News wasn't the right place to post or whatever.  But I think the idea of "The Beatles" was not about creating some shrink-wrapped plastic icon to be fetishized and worshiped.  Lennon obviously hated that idea.  The idea of the Beatles was, to quote Ezra Pound, to "make it new." 

I appreciate the idea behind this topic, but way back in the 50s the Beatles themselves were not debating who was greater or if Pat Boone or Patti Page had killled rock.  They were getting into obscure stuff like Barrett Strong or "underground" black music. 

Real music has always been "underground"--it has to be, because of its power.  And big companies can concoct monstrosities like "Big and Rich" in order to sell Chevies, but to find the real stuff you've got to be willing to go underground. 

And once you go underground you'll find that maybe it's not dead at all. 

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2005, 12:04:24 AM »

i do agree that rock and roll is dead, and doa gree with most of what Wayne L. said. However, I personally like Nirvana and think they actually saved rock and roll for awhile.

Also, Audioslave is not that great of a band, but I do like Soundgarden. Chris Cornell-what a vocice.

"I'll tell you what killed rock and roll.  VAN-FREAKIN-HALEN!!!!!  One of the worst things to happen to the music scene."  As for strutter84, i think most will agree that van halen is a great band. Although, their gary sharone period was pretty bad.
All You Need is Love &nbsp;:K) :K) :K)

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2005, 02:12:29 PM »

Quote from: Paulsluv
Britney "Slutty" Spears

hehehe go on girl get your claws out lol :p

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2005, 02:20:42 PM »

The butler done it
don't follow leaders

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2005, 02:21:45 PM »

hahaha :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2005, 02:33:43 PM »

I don't think manufactured bands are killing rock, thet've been with us forever. remember the Monkees? One of the biggest selling singles of the 60's was by a cartoon.(The Archies). Both the Stones and Beatles changed their images to suit the market and dropped long standing members who no longer looked the part.  . All those BIG Chin and Chapman bands in the seventies........
It's only rock and roll (but I like it).....
don't follow leaders

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2005, 02:52:50 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b
I don't think manufactured bands are killing rock, thet've been with us forever. remember the Monkees? .....

yeah very true Kev..you could even say that the Beatles were manufactured to a point .. brian dressed them up in suits.. so thats manufactoring in a way lol ..but the latest chart stuff that pollutes our ears is total garbage ...

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2005, 02:59:29 PM »

I've never really thought that the singles charts reflect what most people listen to. Remember Engelbert humperdink having the biggest number one in the so-called summer of love. "What's the matter you" keeping Ultravox and Vienna from number one?
Who the hell buys singles anyway? Most people "into" music buy albums - that's probably a better indication of what's out there.
Just remember your Dad saying "how can you listen to that trash. Now in my day......"
don't follow leaders

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2005, 03:09:48 PM »

oh god yeah lol .. ive had that said to me on more that 1 occasion ... when i was a teenager i listened to some real crap stuff now that i look back on it hehe

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2005, 11:36:04 PM »

yeah, some of the manufactured bands are really hurting my ears.

rock and roll needs a few heroes to teach these pop punk teen bands a little something bout music and rock.

where's oasis when you need them? can't they go do therapy or something.
All You Need is Love &nbsp;:K) :K) :K)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2005, 09:19:07 AM »

Quote from: lennonlemon
where's oasis when you need them? can't they go do therapy or something.

I saw Noel in a pub in Hampstead about a month ago - and I'm pleased to report he was dressed as if about to go on stage, so it's cool to know his image is "real". I've always admired them for their honesty "we're great and know it" very refreshing in this day and age.
Tho I'm a bit suspect about their big arguements everytime they try and tour the US. Gets them in the papers, that's for sure. But maybe I'm being unkind.
They're the best Beatles tribute band I've heard.

don't follow leaders

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2005, 10:13:18 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b

I saw Noel in a pub in Hampstead about a month ago - and I'm pleased to report he was dressed as if about to go on stage, .

well from what ive heard .. i think there gonna be releasing another album round about may time ..also ive heard that zak starkey is drumming for them to :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 79 queries.