Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: is sgt. pepper really that good?  (Read 11393 times)

is sgt. pepper really that good?
« on: August 14, 2005, 12:10:44 PM »

well, is it? i presonally really like it and find it creativley interesting. but not all people think so, there are about 150 reviews on amazon.com slagging off the album and say its worthless, and a waste of time, and to put it bluntly, boring.
i think thats disgraceful and think its anything but boring. what are youre views on thses reviews ;D?!

heres the links:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000002UAU/ref=cm_rev_prev/104-3535263-7122363?%5Fencoding=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=byExactRating%5F1&n=5174&s=music&customer-reviews.start=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000002UAU/ref=cm_rev_next/104-3535263-7122363?%5Fencoding=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=byExactRating%5F1&n=5174&s=music&customer-reviews.start=11

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: is sgt. pepper really that good?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 02:27:29 PM »

Damn f***ing revisionists. People just like to diss Sgt. Pepper's because it was considered the most important album ever for a long time, and they think that somehow saying the opposite of that makes them special.
Ignore those people. Listen to what you want to, and know that Sgt. Peppers is a great, innovative album.

Dude, I think a bunch of Beatle haters flooded that section.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 02:48:38 PM »

Is Sgt Peppers really that good?

Yes it bloody well is.

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 03:51:20 PM »

I read some of those reviews and some of them are the most ignorant thing I've ever read. Like "Paul Mcartney is the biggest egotistical man on the planet earth and has never written a decent tune since 1969, yet he is treated like God, COME ON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's an average guitarist, hell he's not even a guitarist HE PLAYS BASE FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Okay first of all his albums McCartney, Ram and Band on the Run has some of the best songs ever written by him.

Soft_Guitar60

• Getting Better
  • surrender to the void
    • Beatlemania
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 05:04:09 PM »

You can see they're idiots...
"Face it, the Beatles are nothing more nor less than the 1960's N'Sync."
^^ Like WTF?

But actually, it's funny to read.

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 07:27:27 PM »

Does anybody else notice who are actually writing these, and has anybody checked out some of their other reviews? Most of them are just kids who don't know sh*t about music, people with far different taste in music (rap, hip-hop, dance), or just pretentious, jealous a**holes who want to belittle the Beatle's legacy to make them feel better about their wasted lives. You'll also notice that many of the reviews are exactly like others and have just been reentered.

They're telling Beatles fans that we don't understand real or complex music yet they give the Backstreet Boys 5 stars.

I leave you with this:

"Give me Celine Dion any day

Or Britney Spears

That's real Pop, this is noise "
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 07:35:44 PM »

And to make those of you who want to take the reviews seriously, look at the ratio of people who found it helpful to the ratio of those who didn't. You can't make everyone like the record, but the overwhelming majority found the critiques unhelpful. :-D

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 08:04:24 PM »

Ezra Pound had a great piece of advice to the effect of: "Don't ever accept the judgment of a critic unless he's produced a great work himself."

Or as Dylan said: "Dont follow leaders, watch the parking meters."

I think Pepper is amazing sonically and thematically (even if John begs to differ).  Some of the greatest moments are the most undersung: "Benefit for Mr. Kite" "Within You Without You."  "A Day in the Life" is one of the greatest pop songs of all time--bands like Pink Floyd have spent their whole career mining the territory laid out in that song.  

I'm afraid George Martin (as he himself admitted) is partly to blame: if he'd included "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields Forever"--which fit the theme of the album, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

But yeah, IMHO it's really that great.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 10:12:30 PM »

Sgt Pepper carries several burdens, which are proving too much of a strain on it.

(1) It is very much of its times. It was one of the great icons of the Summer of Love. Icons that strongly represent their times, their raison d'etre, do struggle when the years have rolled on, and the symbols don't mean as much.

(2) A Day In The Life is a great song, and well arranged. It is SO good, that it needs strong support. Only two songs (imo) do this: Lucy In The Sky and Within You Without You (whether you personally like them or not). But two are not enough.

(3) Related to the point I made in (2) is that a great many songs on Pepper are just plain ordinary. Yes, the production blew everyone away in 1967: but honestly is Rita worthy of such production? Is Getting Better? Is Mr Kite? Is When I'm 64? I think this is what Martin was saying when he said Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane should have been included: you'd have lifted the standard of songs on the album a lot.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 11:48:46 PM »

i Feel Bad For Those People

Paul McCartney :)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 12:21:09 AM »

I think the only really weak song on the album is "When I'm 64"--with "Lovely Rita" a close second.  

I think John did a disservice to "Kite" by slagging it--George Martin and Geoff Emerick did a great job realizing acidy carnival atmosphere (without dropping acid).

"She's Leaving Home" always kinda annoyed me.  Old-timey sound--and a bit too hard on the parents.  Plus the anchor line: "Fun is the one thing that money can't buy"--is that what it's all about, Alfie, "Fun"?

But I guess the 60s was a fun decade.

I think "The Sergeant Pepper Theme--Little Help from My Friends" is a great song(s).

"Fixing a Hole" is near great.  

"Getting Better" is as good a song as most on "Revolver" or "Rubber Soul."

I don't know if I'm forgetting anything.  

At least one thing everyone can agree on: it's better than the movie.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 01:40:32 AM »

As its been said before,,,,'Sgt. Peppers is always ranked as being over-rated,,,,,,that is until I listen to it.'  

Again, if they would have scrapped the worst two songs on the album (When I'm 64 and Within You, Without You **escpecially this one**) and added Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane (although if they would have waitied and added I Am The Walrus) it would have been the greatest album ever even up until today.

As for the reviews from the kids,,,you cant argue with ignorance, so I wouldnt let it get me down.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 02:26:20 AM »

I really really like When I'm 64. Granted, it is does not go with the psychedelic theme of the album, but I still think it is a great little song and Paul managed to capture the vaudevillian (sp?) flavour quite well.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 02:57:33 AM »

I like When I'm 64 a lot too.  I dunno what, besides WYWY, I'd remove to fit in SFF and PL.  But yea, that woulda improved the album ten-fold.

scousette

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 11:57:34 PM »

I think the weakest track on Sgt Pepper is:

She's Leaving Home

It's melodrama; I never cared about the girl and the fact that she met the man from the motor trade and that her parents are feeling sorry for themselves.  Just a ridiculous waste of space.   Penny Lane should have been placed here instead.

Good Morning Good Morning could have been excised for Strawberry Fields.  

Lostio

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 12:27:06 AM »

OK, that "Help! The Beatles suck!" review really annoyed me:

"Songs like these take no talent to play, they take no talent to perform, and they take no talent to compose."

'course. I guess ANYONE could just put on A Day In The Life. And even a 5-year-old could compose something like Strawberry Fields Forever. And it doesn't take not even someone musically interested to perform Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds!

...Right on with that, dude...

"Formulaic and uninspired, the Lennon/McCartney partnership has concocted some of the most simplistic, uncreative, insipid melodies ever commited to vinyl."

Eleanor Rigby, I Am The Walrus, Lady Madonna... Totally uncreative.

"She loves you
Yeah yeah yeah
She loves you
Yeah yeah yeah
She loves you
Yeah yeah yeah

Wow! The creativity really was rolling on that song!"

Why, definately! And isn't it true that you can find out a band's whole creativity during their musical experience by the REFRAIN of ONE song? Sure...

Sgt. Pepper's is a masterpiece, no matter what these complaining b****es whine about.

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 01:41:28 AM »

The guy berates the Beatle's work as if there whole career were "She Loves You" type of songs. They're musical and lyrical capacbility were not fully developed and their songwriting became much more sophisticated later on. Nevertheless, for a basic song "She Loves You" is great and far mroe creative than your critiques.

joan was quizzical

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 03:56:51 AM »

Quote from: lennonlegend
well, is it?

[size=14]yes.[/size]

~  missy

can_you_take_me_back

• One And One Is Two
  • "I'd love to turn you on"
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 04:24:25 AM »

God. Sgt. Pepper was the first Beatles album I ever fell in love with. And while I agree that there are some weak tracks (as many have said...Lovely Rita, When I'm 64, She's Leaving Home...), songs like "Lucy", "Mr. Kite", "Within Without You", and "Day in the Life" showed me the sophistication and insight that the Beatles were capable of. To me it's not just a touchstone in musical history but a testament to the group's ability to write compelling songs that people can connect to on a variety of levels. It's one of the first albums that I burn for people when I want to turn them on to the Beatles. It hasn't failed yet. So yeah. Screw the ignorant people who mouth off on Sgt. Pepper. It's not perfect, but it's wonderful.
"Half of what I say is meaningless."

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 05:35:50 AM »

Quote from: Lostio
OK, that "Help! The Beatles suck!" review really annoyed me:

"Songs like these take no talent to play, they take no talent to perform, and they take no talent to compose."

'course. I guess ANYONE could just put on A Day In The Life. And even a 5-year-old could compose something like Strawberry Fields Forever. And it doesn't take not even someone musically interested to perform Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds!

...Right on with that, dude...

"Formulaic and uninspired, the Lennon/McCartney partnership has concocted some of the most simplistic, uncreative, insipid melodies ever commited to vinyl."

Eleanor Rigby, I Am The Walrus, Lady Madonna... Totally uncreative.

"She loves you
Yeah yeah yeah
She loves you
Yeah yeah yeah
She loves you
Yeah yeah yeah

Wow! The creativity really was rolling on that song!"

Why, definately! And isn't it true that you can find out a band's whole creativity during their musical experience by the REFRAIN of ONE song? Sure...

Sgt. Pepper's is a masterpiece, no matter what these complaining b****es whine about.

Yea, and She Loves You wasn't even on Sgt. Pepper -_-
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 87 queries.