Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What did Paul think about the Beatles ?  (Read 9238 times)

carlacundari

• One And One Is Two
  • it doesn't hurt to feel your own pain.
What did Paul think about the Beatles ?
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:36:33 AM »

John said -being a Beatle was humiliating-
did Paul feel the same ?
It doesn't hurt to feel your own pain.- John.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: What did Paul think about the Beatles ?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »

Did John really said that? I don't think any of them thought being a Beatle was humiliating.John did his own band. It was all that he wished for. It's not like he was forced to do that so that he can feel humble.Paul joined John's band and they had the greatest time 2 young fellows could have. Maybe they fell bad in the last years of the Beatles era, but if John really said that I'm sure he was exaggerating or it was just one of his many "shocking" quotes.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:48:11 PM »

John said -being a Beatle was humiliating-
did Paul feel the same ?

that John eh? Also called himself a genius, swore he saw a UFO and said (Playboy 1980) "When I was a Beatle, I thought we were the best f***ing group in the god-damned world."
I agree that The Beatles were at times reduced to the role of performing monkees, but to be honest they appeared to be enjoying the bananas.
Did Paul find it humiliating??? He's never said anything so we can assume no I guess.
But if you really want to humiliate yourself try whoring yourself to the media with ludicrous stunts like sitting in a bag or lying in bed for a week.
Or writing a song about Mary and Her Little Lamb and filming a gut wrenchingly smarmy video to go with it.
We all have our crosses to bear.
don't follow leaders

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »

come on now kev.you cannot knock mary had a little lamb.anyone who can get away with releasing a song like that(and video)has to be applauded,surely?only joking......................................
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

carlacundari

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:02:40 AM »

Did John really said that? I don't think any of them thought being a Beatle was humiliating.John did his own band. It was all that he wished for. It's not like he was forced to do that so that he can feel humble.Paul joined John's band and they had the greatest time 2 young fellows could have. Maybe they fell bad in the last years of the Beatles era, but if John really said that I'm sure he was exaggerating or it was just one of his many "shocking" quotes.

it's true !  he actually said that, I saw the interview on TV.

carlacundari

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:06:35 AM »

that John eh? Also called himself a genius, swore he saw a UFO and said (Playboy 1980) "When I was a Beatle, I thought we were the best f***ing group in the god-damned world."
I agree that The Beatles were at times reduced to the role of performing monkees, but to be honest they appeared to be enjoying the bananas.
Did Paul find it humiliating??? He's never said anything so we can assume no I guess.
But if you really want to humiliate yourself try whoring yourself to the media with ludicrous stunts like sitting in a bag or lying in bed for a week.
Or writing a song about Mary and Her Little Lamb and filming a gut wrenchingly smarmy video to go with it.
We all have our crosses to bear.

I see your point, i completely agree-

John accepted it all until he met Yoko.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 08:19:57 AM »

I see your point, i completely agree-

Now where's the fun in that?   :)
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 09:07:53 AM »

John accepted it all until he met Yoko.

John has said he wanted out as early as 65', but then again he has said so many contradicting things that whatever he has said, I take with a grain of salt.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 09:26:40 AM »

Now where's the fun in that?   :)

Yeah, come on Carla! Disagree with Kevin! ha2ha

carlacundari

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 10:10:49 AM »

John has said he wanted out as early as 65', but then again he has said so many contradicting things that whatever he has said, I take with a grain of salt.

KLAUS VOORMANN SAID JOHN WAS AN UNHAPPY MAN, WHEN HE WAS WITH THE BEATLES,, HE FOUND HAPPINESS IN YOKO.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »

KLAUS VOORMANN SAID JOHN WAS AN UNHAPPY MAN, WHEN HE WAS WITH THE BEATLES,, HE FOUND HAPPINESS IN YOKO.

I would agree that John doesn't seem to have been too happy as a Beatle. But then again hwe never seems happy. In fact he seems to always come across as a rather bitter, angry man. You get the feeling the John Lennon Story was never destined for a happy ending.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »

I would agree that John doesn't seem to have been too happy as a Beatle. But then again hwe never seems happy. In fact he seems to always come across as a rather bitter, angry man. You get the feeling the John Lennon Story was never destined for a happy ending.

I think that John, just like Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain for instance, disliked beeing a teen idol because he felt he wasn't beeing taken seriously as a real artist.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 01:22:49 AM »

I think that John, just like Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain for instance, disliked beeing a teen idol because he felt he wasn't beeing taken seriously as a real artist.

I think he kind of got lost. He started by trying to make it to the top no matter what the cost, but then when he made it, he didnt want it. I guess you have to be careful for what you wish for.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 07:24:31 PM »

I think he kind of got lost. He started by trying to make it to the top no matter what the cost, but then when he made it, he didnt want it. I guess you have to be careful for what you wish for.

I think it can be pretty depressing to "have it all". If you're unhappy because you don't like your job, your wife, your house and the town you live in, then there are ways to make it better if you've got to guts to go for it. But what are you going to do if you're one of the most popular people on the planet, you've got more money than you can ever spend and super models are lining up for you and you still don't feel happy? I suppose it can seen like a dead end. Satisfaction is the death of desire and I suppose life must be empty without desires.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »

I think it can be pretty depressing to "have it all". If you're unhappy because you don't like your job, your wife, your house and the town you live in, then there are ways to make it better if you've got to guts to go for it. But what are you going to do if you're one of the most popular people on the planet, you've got more money than you can ever spend

What made John so unhappy then? He had the world by the fingertips and could have gotten away from the public. Sure seclusion sucks, but i'm sure there were plenty of people in Johns camp that would have followed. I dont know how I would react because I wasnt in his shoes, but I doubt I would have been depressed as he made himself out to be.

Satisfaction is the death of desire and I suppose life must be empty without desires.

Eh, I dont know. My interests skip around enough that I dont fall into complacency. Maybe Johns wife wouldnt allow him to pursue anything other than the life she was accostumed to.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 09:43:52 AM »

What made John so unhappy then? He had the world by the fingertips and could have gotten away from the public. Sure seclusion sucks, but i'm sure there were plenty of people in Johns camp that would have followed. I dont know how I would react because I wasnt in his shoes, but I doubt I would have been depressed as he made himself out to be.

Eh, I dont know. My interests skip around enough that I dont fall into complacency. Maybe Johns wife wouldnt allow him to pursue anything other than the life she was accostumed to.

Maureen Cleaves interview of March 66 paints a picture of a young man bored witless. His life is full of pointless gizmos he doesn't need or know how to use, or hobbies that by his own admission didn't last more than a week.
Compare his life with Paul and George's, both of who seemed able to live exciting, fulfilling lives despite the fame and forced seclusion. Draws you to the conclusion that the problem might have been John, not his circumstances.
If I had to put my money on something, I would guess that John needed a dominant figure in his life. the BIG people in his life..Aumt Mimi, Stuart Sutcliffe, Brian Epstein and Yoko all seem to fit that role nicely.
By his own admission he was a very lazy man, and left to his own devices led a feckless, rather meaningless existance, prone to filling the void with various intoxicants.
This doesn't make him some kind of freak. In fact it sounds rather like me. And I ain't no freak.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 02:15:11 PM »

No doubt I'd trade my life for the life John had (well, minus the getting killed a 40 thing), but there's got to be some reason why so many rich and famous people are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 02:26:07 PM »

If I had to put my money on something, I would guess that John needed a dominant figure in his life. the BIG people in his life..Aumt Mimi, Stuart Sutcliffe, Brian Epstein and Yoko all seem to fit that role nicely.

That makes sense. Brian Wilson had exactly the same problem. He had three dominant figures in his life who told him what to do: first it was his dad Murry Wilson, then it was his therapist Eugene Landy and currently it's his wife Melinda. Although all these three people have been criticized for taking adventage of Brian in one way or another, it's a fact that he was at his very worst at the times when none of these three people were in his life.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 10:19:15 PM »

george was also a very unhappy beatle from 66' onwards,but maybe he was a more balanced individual than john was.i read an interesting thing about what the maharishi said about john and george.you have maybe read or heard this yourselves,but the yogi said to one of his sidemen something along the lines of john was still on his first or second re-incarnation here on earth,whilst george was probably on his seventh-and last.(obviously the yogi was quoted as saying this during the rishikesh 68' period).no doubt he was refering to the difference in  maturity shown by both beatles.
i am maybe digressing here a little,but george did seem to have a far tighter grip on his life than john did.john didn't seem  unhappy until around 68'-,he seemed to enjoy pepper-in fact it was only upon meeting yoko that john seemed to show any kind of dissent towards being a beatle.i think george was far more fed up for far longer.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:22:30 PM by glass onion »
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 12:50:02 AM »

Draws you to the conclusion that the problem might have been John, not his circumstances.

Good point and thats pretty much where I was leaning too. I think John was just a tad f***ed in the head if you know what I mean.

By his own admission he was a very lazy man, and left to his own devices led a feckless, rather meaningless existance, prone to filling the void with various intoxicants.

Ever wonder why John never allowed Paul to fill the gap of a dominant figure sometimes? I'm not talking about telling him what to do or how to act, but John seemed to rebel against the workload when it seemed like thats what he really needed. Of course we know its pride, but damn, John could have at least been a man and told Yoko to get the hell out of the studio. Eh, i'm rambling now.

As for the intoxicants, ehh, they help the creative process at times and ease the shyness so I dont have a huge problem with it (except the heroin).

In fact it sounds rather like me. And I ain't no freak.

Of course not.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.014 seconds with 82 queries.