Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I'm trying to explore Macca's solo years... help!  (Read 7635 times)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
I'm trying to explore Macca's solo years... help!
« on: July 15, 2004, 03:11:20 AM »

I'm going to explore his songs as I've been exploring Lennon's (I'm 17, and I'm disappointed with Lennon.  Though I love Imagine and (Just Like) Starting Over, I feel that he didn't have enough good songs, but then again, his life was tragically ended :().  What are VERY good songs that I could try to find on CDs and such?

I think Jet is alright, I guess.  Maybe I'm Amazed is great.  Live and Let Die is great.  Band On The Run is good, just not as good as I thought.  I even found a Tribute to John Lennon for download, and he sings Strawberry Fields, Help!, and Give Peace a Chance.  It's very good.

But I'm disappointed because I'm not getting Eleanor Rigby or Let It Be quality songs yet.  So a lil help would be appreciated :)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: I'm trying to explore Macca's solo years... help!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 03:34:02 AM »

Its hard to tell you what songs to like or dislike. You have your own opinion and tastes. I could sit here and tell you what people consider Pauls better albums to be, but that would be pointless. I'm also a little confused when you state the John didnt have enough good songs. Are you only listening to the greatest hits albums?

If you really want to understand an artist, i'm afraid your going to have to attack their solo catalogs (not just greatest hits) to really understand them. If this is what your after and Pauls next then start with 'Ram'.

Sorry that I cant be more precise with you, but I guarantee you that my favorite songs wont even be close to what your looking for. If you are really serious about it, I guess I can list what I feel are the best efforts on his albums, but it would take me a long time.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 03:39:20 AM »

Well, I'm just trying to cover what everyone usually considers their fav MAcca solo songs, and THEN go from there.

And I've been exploring John Lennon's albums.  Instant Karma is good, but not what I was expecting.  Mother is decent.  God is repetitive.  I'm still looking.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 03:47:31 AM »

Get Wingspan then. The two cds cover a lot of great Macca songs.

---powered by Moondogs®---

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 06:25:43 AM »

I disagree.....Wingspan really doesn't represent him well........but, two full discs of Paul for about a buck more than the cost of a single Paul album, you can't really go wrong....

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 06:44:57 AM »

Thirty-four years of work ... there's no easy way to explore it, I'm afraid. A little collection of songs won't give you a feel for a prolific muso's work - and Macca was nothing if not prolific!

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 12:11:09 PM »

Some of us older guys are at an advantage because we were around when the solo albums were released. So, for us it was a matter of buying the "new" album whenever it came out and getting to know it at the time. I imagine it's rough being 17 today and having to go back and absorb everything.

I think a lot depends on how much of a "Beatles" fan you are to begin with. If you're a big fan of the group, and enjoy many songs (or almost all of them) then it's easier for you to seek out the solo recordings and enjoy them.

For me, each new solo album was a matter of re-playing and re-playing, until I got to KNOW the record. The more you hear it, the more you grow to get familiar with the music, the more you like more songs.

When I was 17 I bought BACK TO THE EGG and hated it on first listen. The more I played it, the more I knew and familiarized myself and loved it! Same thing with McCARTNEY II and TUG OF WAR. Hated them at first, loved them with repeat plays. I'm not suggesting that everyone should try this with every band's albums, but if you're a Beatles Fan, it's almost like you owe it to yourself to be more familiar with the solo years and give the music enough of a chance by giving the disc a few spins.

So, I'd suggest playing fine albums like PLASTIC ONO BAND, IMAGINE, BAND ON THE RUN, VENUS AND MARS, TUG OF WAR, FLAMING PIE, ALL THINGS MUST PASS, CLOUD NINE, and Ringo's BLAST FROM YOUR PAST a few times. I'd say it's the cream of the crop for beginners.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 12:35:27 AM »

joe....theres a speck on yer glasses.screw that start by the releases as they happened started at the break up and buy each  one in order of release.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 03:34:13 AM »

[quote by=pc31 link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089861080,s=7 date=1089938127]joe....theres a speck on yer glasses.screw that start by the releases as they happened started at the break up and buy each  one in order of release.[/quote]

Not a bad idea really.....especially since like 80% of the best solo albums all came in the first few years...

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 10:19:26 AM »

joe....theres a speck on yer glasses.screw that start by the releases as they happened started at the break up and buy each

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 10:24:18 AM »

Not a bad idea really.....especially since like 80% of the best solo albums all came in the first few years...

This is true for George and John (if we don't count his avant garde records ;) ). But it took Paul a few albums to get to BAND ON THE RUN. And do you think a new fan would ever get uo to the great RINGO album if he started off with SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY and BEAUCOUPS OF BLUES first??! :)

No, the answer is to begin with what are generally considered the "best" and if you like them, then go back and explore the lesser stuff. IMO.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 12:07:14 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089861080,s=9 date=1089973166]

Well, that's definitely how "I" do things... but if I'm suggesting stuff to a young person who's already said he doesn't care for some of John and Paul's BEST material, what am I gonna do -- suggest McCARTNEY, RAM

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 01:44:29 AM »

Yes! Ram is probably Pauls best solo album. With these three albums to compare and listen to, a person would be able to see why after hearing McCartney and Wild Life (which I like). The same goes with the Beatle albums. I always suggest to a new listener to start at the beginning so that the evolution of the band is prominent. Its how I like to do it anyways.

But when the person says that JET is only "alright" and BAND ON THE RUN is "good, but not as good as I thought" --- do you expect him to enjoy KREEN-AKRORE, THREE LEGS, or BIP BOP?

I LOVE the first few McCartney albums! But I doubt a newcomer would do well to start there.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2004, 02:02:42 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089861080,s=12 date=1090028669]

But when the person says that JET is only "alright" and BAND ON THE RUN is "good, but not as good as I thought" --- do you expect him to enjoy KREEN-AKRORE, THREE LEGS, or BIP BOP?

I LOVE the first few McCartney albums! But I doubt a newcomer would do well to start there.
[/quote]

Thats just it, whos to say? "Jet" hasent sat real well with me over time either, but he/she may like something else. 'Three Legs' is great, so yes I would expect them to like that one (along with the rest of the album). 'Bip Bop' and 'Kreen' are probably the worst songs on their albums, so its a decent chance they may not be enjoyed, but I think the other material deserves a shot.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2004, 10:23:53 AM »

Thats just it, whos to say? "Jet" hasent sat real well with me over time either, but he/she may like something else. 'Three Legs' is great, so yes I would expect them to like that one (along with the rest of the album). 'Bip Bop' and 'Kreen' are probably the worst songs on their albums, so its a decent chance they may not be enjoyed, but I think the other material deserves a shot.

You've got a point. "Who's to say?" is right. So okay -- go through each album in chronological order; just don't give up if you don't like the first or second. This is what I would do in the situation.

I also like 'Three Legs'. And I'm also a fan of 'Bip Bop' as well .... I was just trying to single out what may generally be considered the weakest songs on the albums to

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2004, 10:45:28 AM »

My only point is,,,,I hate for people to miss hidden gems like 'Junk' and 'Give Ireland Back To The Irish', etc,,,because they buy the greatest hits. To me, greatest hits compilations ruin alot of listening experiences. I'm not begging people to go out and buy entire catalogs from artists before you know if your going to like it or not, but I would at least borrow a copy and give it the good once over. Maybe i'm weird, but I give entire albums 5 to 7 listens the whole way through before I judge. Maybe thats why I would definately rather hear 'Give Ireland Back To The Irish' than 'Jet' anyday and you wont find that one on the greatest hits.

I also realize that i've started to beat the dead horse again and i'll end this topic on this note,,,,,,,,,remember, its all good! (well most of it) :)

sregis

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2004, 03:30:37 PM »

i agree w/ the folks who've suggested starting w/ the old stuff- try mccartney and ram.  also, as an alternative to wingspan, try the much-underappreciated live album wings over america, which includes early solo and beatles highlights.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2004, 10:03:51 AM »

Maybe i'm weird, but I give entire albums 5 to 7 listens the whole way through before I judge. Maybe thats why I would definately rather hear 'Give Ireland Back To The Irish' than 'Jet' anyday and you wont find that one on the greatest hits.

I certainly don't think you're weird, because I'd rather hear Paul do 'Check My Machine' in concert than 'Band on the Run" :D

I agree that there are all sorts of hidden gems on all the albums. I love 'Every Night', 'Monkberry Moon Delight,' 'Mumbo,' 'Dear Friend,' 'Big Barn Bed'....... dozens and dozens! :)

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »

I agree with both of you for different reasons. Tkitna is right that McCartney's work is best explored through the individual albums as it's really hard to distill all of that material (most of it great, from the 70's, anyway) all into one collection. But Joe is right that if this member wasn't fond of some of the bigger McCartney numbers, he really won't like the rest of the stuff.

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2004, 03:40:09 PM »

Maybe i'm weird, but I give entire albums 5 to 7 listens the whole way through before I judge.

That's exactly what I've done for every Solo Album over the years with only one exception, I must confess - DRIVING RAIN. I never gave DRIVING RAIN more than one listen. But maybe I'll try it again, if you consider this...

I feel that as a Solo fanatic, I owe it to myself to familiarize myself with the albums over and over. I actually was underwhelmed by just about every McCartney album when it first came out, but repeat listens and familiarity helped me appreciate them. Now, many of those albums have become favorites, or at least I've come to enjoy several songs!

But the thing is, unless you're a Beatles Nut, why even bother to play a disagreeable album over and over? For example -- I'm not a Madonna fan, so if I heard one of her albums and disliked it, I really don't have any motivation to try and familiarize myself with it. As  Beatles Fan, it's almost like a pleasant obligation :)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 79 queries.