Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Max Clifford's Beatles link is questioned  (Read 1920 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
Max Clifford's Beatles link is questioned
« on: February 24, 2009, 06:39:41 AM »

Max Clifford's Beatles link is questioned

by Tim Walker
The Daily Telegraph

23 Feb 2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mandrake/4788072/Max-Cliffords-Beatles-link-is-questioned.html

While Max Clifford has undoubtedly helped to make his client Jade Goody famous, the author Hunter Davies, who became acquainted with The Beatles during the 1960s when he was working on their authorised biography, disputes the ubiquitous publicist's claim Photo: AP

While Max Clifford has undoubtedly helped to make his client Jade Goody famous, the author Hunter Davies, who became acquainted with The Beatles during the 1960s when he was working on their authorised biography, disputes the ubiquitous publicist's claim that he somehow "made" the pop group when, at the age of 19, he was working in the EMI press office.

"I have about 500 Beatles books, plus about 2,000 magazines, programmes and articles about The Beatles, yet I have not read one reference in them to Mr Clifford's contribution," harrumphs Davies.

"I was with the Beatles for 18 months and from none of them, or from Brian Epstein, did I hear the words: 'Thank God for Max, we would not have done it otherwise.' "

He says that while Clifford may, as a junior assistant at EMI in 1962-63, have "shifted a few handouts", Epstein was responsible for The Beatles' "real publicity work".

Margaret Forster's husband has the good grace to add: "The truth, of course, is that no PR person made them. They made themselves."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 36 queries.