Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: U2: good or bad?  (Read 15580 times)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
U2: good or bad?
« on: December 19, 2005, 10:40:54 PM »

just wondering after i had to beat Wayne into submission after he dissed Bono as being selfish and a pain in the ass. so i was wondering what the rest of you think of Bono or U2
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: U2: good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 12:20:16 AM »

Are you going to try to 'beat us into submission' too, if our views arent the same as yours?

I like U2 and I think they are good, but I also think Bonos a pain in the ass. I like his music, but could care less about his views on society and the world.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 02:48:51 AM »

hahaha, no no, i just needed a reason to beat wayne into submission. i accept all people's views...just not his
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 09:11:47 AM »

Once great, now well past their sell-by date.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 09:27:39 AM »

I went to their concert in Amsterdam last summer. The band was still great, although I'm not a great fan of the simple things of Adam Clayton and the bored looking Larry Mullen. The Edge is still full of energy however and made a great show. I really think he is in fact the man of the band. Bono is a great singer, but it was rather annoying that he thought it was necessary to preach after every couple of songs. I came to listen to the band, not to hear Bono act like Martin Luther King. But still, I think U2 is one very good band. Good in the 80's, disappointing in the 90's and now more back on track.

twistandshout

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 01:57:24 AM »

USMELL2 might have had one or two early on, plus a couple off of the Joshua Tree. Beyond that, and in between, utter crap! It just goes to show you that a decent guitar player can carry a band. Very bland band for the most part, nothing exciting at all. Can't stand Bono either. What a self pretentious prick! When I see that cocksucker donate some of HIS money for AIDS, third world poverty etc., then perhaps my opinion might change. Get off your pedestal Bono.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/bono_my_music_will_last_100_years.html
Wayne L., immortalized in song and dance

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 04:17:51 AM »

Sometimes the simple instrumentation, rough voice and Bono's message make for an incredible, powerful song, but most of the time the sound is boring and the message pretentious.

And I hate the Edge's hat too.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 04:44:48 AM »

I think theyre great, but if you listen to a lot of them, the guitar style gets too repetitive

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 04:50:47 AM »

Something similar can be said about drums ...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 12:13:58 PM »

I'm not a fan of U2, but I don't dislike them either.

I do think it's really great what Bono's doing. He could just yell things like "Is everybody happy!" and "Throw your hands in the air!" on stage and at home just enjoy his wealth like all the other celebrities and everyone would still have loved him, but he chose the harder way. He realizes he's one of the few lucky people that's in a position where people will actually listen to what he has to say, 0so he does what he can to make this world a better place. And I really admire him for that. So what if that means that U2 will play 38 instead of 39 songs...

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 02:25:26 PM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power
... So what if that means that U2 will play 38 instead of 39 songs...

Or none at all

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 11:11:41 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b
Once great, now well past their sell-by date.

just what I'm thinking, War and Joshau Tree are great albums

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 12:03:08 AM »

Can't stand their music, but I admire Bono's activism. In an age where all that most celebrities care about is going clubbing, scoring chicks, doing drugs and getting rich, he is trying to make a difference.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

twistandshout

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 01:27:41 AM »

Quote from: Mairi
Can't stand their music, but I admire Bono's activism. In an age where all that most celebrities care about is going clubbing, scoring chicks, doing drugs and getting rich, he is trying to make a difference.

Activism? He may talk the talk, but in reality, does nothing! Him and Sting are the two biggest hypocrites of the 21st century! Bono crawl out from behind your amber lensed shades and donate some of YOUR money on worldwide television! I want to see him place a check in the name of it (his personal account) and be accepted to the bank!! And Sting, stick that Jaguar car up yer arse! f*** 'em both! Plight of the rainforest my arse!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 06:06:45 PM »

Quote from: twistandshout
Activism? He may talk the talk, but in reality, does nothing! Him and Sting are the two biggest hypocrites of the 21st century!

Even if that's true, they get more done than you, me and everyone else on this board combined. At least they're doing something.

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 02:08:56 AM »

Great for a looong time, now tired and overkill.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 02:02:41 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
. In an age where all that most celebrities care about is going clubbing, scoring chicks, doing drugs and getting rich, .

And quite a few non-celebreties. Damned if I can get the "getting rich" bit right though.
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 02:57:51 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

And quite a few non-celebreties. Damned if I can get the "getting rich" bit right though.

LOL! ... I'm on my way too  ;D

twistandshout

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 11:58:38 PM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power

Even if that's true, they get more done than you, me and everyone else on this board combined. At least they're doing something.

Well, I'm not so sure Biscuit Power. What do we really know? Beyond just talk from the band? And the media?

When I see Bono clothe, bathe, medicate, take care of poverty stricken children on his own money (show me proof in some way) on his own time, and, at his mansion in Ireland (or wherever) with those same children, he will always be running his MOUTH!

His heart is in the right place, but he doesn't let the general masses see the outcome. You can talk all you want, but without proof, your nothing with your millions. I think the Beatles have taken us all much further, wouldn't you agree my friend?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 10:21:42 AM »

Me thinks you are a bit harsh.
Bono is a rock star, not Francis of Assissi. His aim is to raise awareness. That he had done beyond dispute (proof is this thread). He does what he can do, as do all of us. He probably could do more, but so could all of us. I wouldn't damn him because he's rich. All the power to him.
As to not letting the general masses "know the outcome", not sure what you mean there.
don't follow leaders
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Page created in 0.766 seconds with 85 queries.