Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Pete Best  (Read 75286 times)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Pete Best
« Reply #240 on: October 21, 2009, 06:39:26 PM »

I don't know. I'm not disputing any facts but the thinking seems a bit circular and complicated: PB was a "full share" Beatle. He's not considered good enough for studio work. He is fired. Ringo is hired "part share." Therefore PB was fired because of the money. It requires collusion and a long silence worthy of JFK.

PB is not considered good enough for studio work. He is fired. Ringo is hired. But Ringo is also considered not good enough for studio work. He is suspended. Remember? Why not suspend PB in the first place? Why fire PB and hire somebody not suitable for studio work and thus not solving the problem? Maybe PB`s dismissal meant something else? Maybe they just needed a new person, not a full-time Beatle, in order not to pay the full share? Can it be so?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2009, 07:15:57 PM »

PB is not considered good enough for studio work. He is fired. Ringo is hired. But Ringo is also considered not good enough for studio work. He is suspended. Remember? Why not suspend PB in the first place? Why fire PB and hire somebody not suitable for studio work and thus not solving the problem? Maybe PB`s dismissal meant something else? Maybe they just needed a new person, not a full-time Beatle, in order not to pay the full share? Can it be so?

I thought they said that Ringo always was the better drummer! i thought that was why they hired him in the first place!

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »

that was interesting to read, 62 redux - thanks for posting it
it's an interesting subject
i'd heard a few places that they only brought pete on as an afterthought in the first place because they needed a 5 piece band for the hamburg trip and he was . . . a guy with a set of drums
not sure how this fits in, but pete's mom kind of 'stage mom'ed the situation when she made her basement into a club for them to play at
-------------
as far as the 'looks' part, i'd always read about the fan protests after pete left because of his female following. back then one of the big movie heartthrobs was tony curtis and pete best looked just like him!
-------------
at the end of the day, ringo had more charisma/humor/'exceptional likability' more on a par with john paul and george
- from what ive read, ringo was a big part of the early beatle success because of his catchy name - and because he was generally considered the stand out performance in a hard days night . . .  (that's why they made plot of help center around ringo)

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2009, 06:04:40 AM »

^^ya, Ringo was better all around. He just fit in with them better, and he made the Beatles what they were.  ;D

I like how they centered Help! around him, very wise idea!  ;)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #244 on: October 23, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »

I thought they said that Ringo always was the better drummer! i thought that was why they hired him in the first place!

Randy, we are just speculating whether the idea posted above could have any credibility. BTW in the Russian forum this idea has been proved wrong and the proofs are very interesting. I could tell them to you.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #245 on: October 24, 2009, 02:01:39 AM »

Randy, we are just speculating whether the idea posted above could have any credibility. BTW in the Russian forum this idea has been proved wrong and the proofs are very interesting. I could tell them to you.

Yes I would like to hear this Jane!  ;)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #246 on: October 24, 2009, 11:44:32 PM »

no shirt yet dude...... :(

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2009, 10:40:13 PM »

Great news!!! Pete Best`s Haymans Green has been nominated for Grammy Awards in three categories. I am happy for Pete! I wish he would win!!!!!!! "If there`s any justice in the world..." Is there?

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #248 on: November 12, 2009, 05:59:58 AM »

no shirt yet dude...... :(

PC31: my bad pc31. since we last spoke, I got caught up and pre-occupied with regular day job and travel for work. I have your addy to send it. My apologies, got WAY caught up with work stuff here.

Jane: Very cool if true. I know there was some talk about trying to get PBB/Haymans Green on the ballots for 3 different nominations, but hadn't seen any word yet whether official nominations were made yet. Do you have a source for what you heard there ? Thanks.

Randy: See Jane's comment about "we were speculating" on the merits of the theory, not about what latter day fans think about who was a better drummer.

NYfan: Regarding "at the end of the day, ringo had more charisma, etc." which perhaps makes for a good "at the end of the day" perspective in hindsight. However, back then, at the beginning of the day, it was PB that had the popularity, and the looks, in the most popular group around. The band was not hurting for popularity or a shot of charisma. Even GM had said (and it's on tape at the beatlestory exhibit, word for word)that PB had more marketability than any of the others, and that was
before RS came on the scene. So, while many always feels compelled to say that it all worked out in the end, and that RS was the person for the job, bedford's theory above still seems to carry a lot of solid credibility in suggesting that the job was was stolen from PB due to what appears to be --in 47 year hindsight - -a $ issue that no one wanted to talk about,,,so, "ringo was better" became a better way to spin it.

In the end, who among the inner circle would ever want to admit publicly that they stole the drummer spot from PB because they felt he didn't deserve any $ from a record that he wouldnt be playing on?  It would be too embarassing and bad for the band's image, so a better route to follow is "ringo was better". Besides, another angle, if they really felt that RS was a better drummer and really made the band THAT much better, then it doesn't make much sense to pay RS LESS than what they were paying PB, as well as not making RS a full bandmember until 1963.  RNah, i still like Bedford's theory, because it seems to hoild up well to scrtinty.

This is a cool conversation though.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #249 on: November 14, 2009, 10:40:44 PM »

http://fortyquestions.blogspot.com/
Monday, November 02, 2009
On being Pop Vocal God
Pete Best № 016

http://www.facebook.com/abbeyrode?v=feed&story_fbid=150413311051

http://folks.co.in/2009/11/when-will-you-return/

If it`s any proof.
Sorry, but other sources can`t be found.

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #250 on: November 15, 2009, 03:52:29 AM »

Thanks Jane:

Try Step Outside with headphones. Beat Street reminds some people, including me, of Cry for A Shadow..sort of turned inside out.  Take a note though..there's a travel commercial on TV..that one with the little knome (spelling) starts out on a sidewalk i think:the soundtrack of the commercial sounds a LOT like Beat Street. 

Okay, now here is some VERY cool news that I'm sure PC31--and several others--are going to love:

Liverpool Daily Post:

"Ex-Beatles Pete Best performs to 250,000 people in India as part of campaign to attract tourists to Liverpool"

Couldn't get a good link for the story, but it's out there.  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:33:13 AM by 62redux »

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #251 on: November 15, 2009, 03:58:29 AM »

^^ya, Ringo was better all around. He just fit in with them better, and he made the Beatles what they were.  ;D

I like how they centered Help! around him, very wise idea!  ;)

Easy to say in retrospect, but the group was already very popular, and won a recording contract (however small), when RS wasn't even in the picture.   No matter how you look at it, Bedford's theory appears strong, although it may take a while for hard-core fans to grasp the idea that their heroes may have really done the nasty on someone, and covered it up all those years with a PR spin that "RS was better".   But..that's all in the past now..although the theory is new. Congrats to Pete though on the amazing welcome in India. That's good karma all around. See ya.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:29:43 AM by 62redux »

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #252 on: December 21, 2009, 05:40:59 AM »

well after all these years i am gonna stop pimping pete....i heard something unsettling by another person that knew randolph well back then....no shirt necessary redux....pete has enough fans any how one less will not hurt anything.... ;D see you at the undertakers concert..... ;sorry

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2009, 05:55:01 AM »

Must be pretty bad PC for you to stop pimping the PB.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #254 on: December 22, 2009, 06:13:25 AM »

i can't say anything but i trust these others....

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #255 on: December 16, 2010, 07:26:08 PM »

my apologies if this is a repost or duplicate.

FYI: December 17, 1960. 50th anniversary is tomorrow.  Here are the details of the first ever appearance of the beatles as THE BEATLES on UK soil.

http://www.liverpoolbeat.com/Pete-Best-It-Was-50-Years-Ago-Today.html

and, sir paul is in UK this week.

admin: i tried to post the photos but too large.  See your regular email.  Print them up. See what Bill Harry might have to say ?  There appears to be a story in the photos that I took of the Macca pre-concert video this past year. Seems sir paul had prominently included several images of Pete. I took 4 photos when I saw them scrolling. Large pics, including 1 of just Paul and Pete, in their leathers, from the Merseybeat cover. Photo was cropped to show ONLY paul and pete.  Seriously.  crowd is in foreground for scale but the image must be 20-25 feet tall.   Same photo from Anthology 1 CD cover art, but the video photo thankfully INCLUDES pete's head/shoulders this time. Just  Paul and Pete in the pic.

Another pic shows a drumstick, with a newspaper headline that partially obscures Pete's image (drumstick is the clue that it's Pete). Headline says "Beatles Secrets...", with some other clues on the image. Clues yes, but what's the story or message being sent ?

I had never seen any images of Pete before in any macca concert vids; this vid was played, repeatedly, around the world.   So, who is in touch with Macca's production people, as I'm sure there's a story related to the prominent placement of the pics. I've never seen such a major acknowledgment of the early years, the Pete years, the years that Bill Harry knows as "the best years of the beatles".    I took 4 pics at the show. Pete was in about  7-8 photos.  You have to see the pics to believe the size of the images. or to believe that Paul actually included Pete's image so prominently in the video, in both leathers and in suit.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #256 on: February 28, 2021, 06:55:55 PM »

Has anyone read Pete Best's autobiography (Beatle! The Pete Best Story)? I noticed it's out of print but available on Amazon for not too bad of a price (in paperback, anyway). I've been misled by naive Amazon reviews in the past, though, so I no longer consider them when I'm debating a purchase.

If anyone here has read it, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #257 on: July 17, 2021, 09:42:53 PM »

Hello, Normandie:

Yes, I read the book in the year it came out, 1985.  I've since skimmed through it many times.  There are 15 chapters with the last 3 devoted to his termination and the aftermath.  It's a fairly short book, 192 pages, and I think it's a quick and easy read. 

Would I recommend it?  No, unless it's to a specific person.  That is, someone who's interested in Pete Best and his story, especially the role he played in the early pre-fame Beatles.  I've read many other Beatles books which has led me to believe that some of Pete's memories may be faulty.  I won't go into this here because I'd have to research it first to make sure I'm recounting these correctly.

I felt that Pete was expressing some anger toward the Beatles in this biography.  He seems to feel at the time of writing the book, that he shouldn't have been discharged.  I think his feelings have softened throughout the years but this book is strongly reminiscent of fresh hurt and anger, IMO.  I think the people who upset him the most were John and Ringo.  He felt betrayed by Ringo who didn't tell him about the Beatles asking him to join and he was unhappy with public remarks Ringo made about him.  Also, I think George said something like "he took little pills to make him ill" therefore leading to gig cancellations.  Pete felt this was slander and one of the reasons why he sued the Beatles for personal defamation.

Probably the most interesting chapter to me was Chapter 13, The Bombshell.  This is the one in which he writes his first hand account of his firing by Brian Epstein.  It's sad and brutally real.  Pete knew the Beatles were not a minor act even before they hit the big time.  His hurt was felt immediately and not 6 months later when Beatlemania began to sweep the world.  I think his hurt was magnified and relived many times over as the Beatles' popularity soared beyond the charts.

So, if you're interested in this little man's place in the history of the Beatles and have some empathy for him, I would recommend reading it.  I will say no more.  Have a good day!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 04:52:44 PM by Loco Mo »
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #258 on: July 18, 2021, 01:26:15 AM »

Hey Loco. Good to hear from you again.

Interesting review. Might check that one out.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #259 on: July 18, 2021, 01:36:26 AM »

Thanks, Loco Mo; your comments piqued my interest. I'll add it to my ever-growing Amazon list.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Page created in 1.502 seconds with 81 queries.