Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul's tour - anybody going?  (Read 3431 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Paul's tour - anybody going?
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »

I am, next month.  Looking forward to it as usual.  On another forum some post for him to slow down touring to protect his voice etc.   I just enjoy the vibe at his shows and the magnitude of material and his energy at his, now elevated, age.  Looking forward to a few of the songs off New, think everybody out there will be another Paul stadium anthem type and I hope he does I Can Bet which would be cool in a stadium too.

Anybody going to this round of tour?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Paul's tour - anybody going?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »

This is the first time i'm balking due to cost. I have no problems plopping down $250 to $300 for myself, but I have three other family members that feel they need to go too. Selfish pricks. Now none of us can go.  ha2ha

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:47:53 PM »

Pre sale prices were very high.  I bought.  Are "regular tickets" really high too?

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »

I'm going to see him in Jacksonville, FL on 6/22.  My 17-year old daughter, who is also a Beatles fan, is going with me.  I was not able to take her the last time he was near and she said attending a Macca concert is on her bucket list.  I have also taken her to see Ringo and she absolutely loved his show.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 06:56:53 AM »

I'm going to see him in Louisville.

Ollier

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »

This is the first time i'm balking due to cost. I have no problems plopping down $250 to $300 for myself, but I have three other family members that feel they need to go too. Selfish pricks. Now none of us can go.  ha2ha

I thought hearing Paul live was too painful these days?
Keeping you on your toes...

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 05:24:08 PM »

My situation's the same. He's coming to Fargo, which is a few hours away, but doable. I could probably swing one ticket, but I've turned my kids into three Beatlemaniacs, so....none of us will get to see him.

I am, next month.  Looking forward to it as usual.

Enjoy!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 09:02:10 AM »

I wonder why the world has gone 'live concert crazy'.

The same thing has happened in football.
Thirty years ago you could pitch up at Highbury, pay your £4, and be bored rigid watching Arsenal play Man. Utd.
Now you either have to get out a second mortgage to buy a season ticket, or pay upwards of £100 to be bored rigid watching Arsenal play Man. Utd.
Why?

There's talk of The Kinks reforming, and it seems that Ray and Dave will be able to pick any number, double it, and add a cool £100 on top, when it comes to charging the punters.

Circa 1993, they played at Clapham.
I went to the venue and laid down two £10 notes with no one in front or behind me.....frankly, no one other than me and my mate seemed to give a damn! I think they could have given them away free and they would have struggled to fill the venue.

Why were people not remotely bothered then?
Why are people SO bothered now?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 09:17:09 AM »

There's talk of The Kinks reforming, and it seems that Ray and Dave will be able to pick any number, double it, and add a cool £100 on top, when it comes to charging the punters.

The extra £100 is to watch the inevitable fistfight that'll break out between them  ;)

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »

Looks like he will never come to Iceland to perform. What a shame.  :'(

I have seen him though - in Denmark 2003. The only downside was that I went alone.  roll:)
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »

The same thing has happened in football.
Thirty years ago you could pitch up at Highbury, pay your £4, and be bored rigid watching Arsenal play Man. Utd.
Now you either have to get out a second mortgage to buy a season ticket, or pay upwards of £100 to be bored rigid watching Arsenal play Man. Utd.
Why?

Circa 1993, they played at Clapham.
I went to the venue and laid down two £10 notes with no one in front or behind me.....frankly, no one other than me and my mate seemed to give a damn! I think they could have given them away free and they would have struggled to fill the venue.

Why were people not remotely bothered then?
Why are people SO bothered now?

I've been wondering the same thing. The same has happened here in the States in regard to music concert tickets. (I can't speak for sports tickets since I've never gone to any professional games.) The tickets used to be affordable -- heck, back in high school I could afford to buy 'em for big name acts (David Bowie, The Who, Eric Clapton, etc.) -- with just the money from my part-time cashier's job. Now, as you said, they're a small fortune.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:06:20 PM by Normandie »

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 10:36:37 AM »

And the opposite has happened to CDs.
In 1993 the Red and Blue albums cost a fortune (£30 each if memory serves) for what were previously available recordings on compilations that were released after the 60s anyway.
Jump forward to 2013, and the Live at the BBC Volume 2 CD was about £12.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »

And the opposite has happened to CDs.
In 1993 the Red and Blue albums cost a fortune (£30 each if memory serves) for what were previously available recordings on compilations that were released after the 60s anyway.
Jump forward to 2013, and the Live at the BBC Volume 2 CD was about £12.

I've seen suggestions that the very high concert fees are to make up for artists not making as much money from sales of records thanks to all the downloading piracy.

I'm pretty sceptical of that. I think these big artists like Paul and the Stones do it for the simple reason that they can. People will pay it. I suppose for some of these acts too it's always the possibility it'll be fans last chance to see them increasing demand and willingness to pay high prices.

I've noticed ticket prices for the next rung down (popular but not huge current acts) aren't that outrageous. These probably have smaller entourages and less staging and things. But I think it's mainly that artists charge what the market will bear. And for Paul McCartney the market will bear quite a lot.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »

I thought the general wisdom is that the increase in touring acts is down to the lack of profit from music sales. Where before concerts were to raise awareness of a new album the situation is now the reverse.
I guess the public desire to see live acts depends on the fashion of the day. In pre  Brit-pop 1993 Dance Nation UK I can well imagine a lack of appetite for The Kinks live.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 11:43:05 PM »

Pre sale prices were very high.  I bought.  Are "regular tickets" really high too?

As soon as I heard he was coming to Pittsburgh, I jumped on the day the tickets went on sale because my wife and son really wanted to go and the cheapest ticket was $175,,,,,behind the freaking stage. Nose bleeds were $250 and up. Club level was a cool $1200 and up.  ha2ha

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 11:43:40 PM »

I thought hearing Paul live was too painful these days?

Its depressing for sure.

Page created in 0.587 seconds with 77 queries.