Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: NEW...  (Read 36858 times)

nimrod

Re: NEW...
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 11:33:52 PM »

I know why I don't come here much anymore, there's new Paul music just about to be released and no sod is talking about it.

This is a nostalgia forum, nothing more.

well the Beatles did split up years ago  ha2ha

I wasnt going to comment as I dont really want to be negative, but I hate the damn thing, Barry is right it does have the 'vibe' of Penny Lane, the rhythmic tempo and hanclaps and the melody in parts is kinda similar.
Penny Lane though was a truly great song, both lyrically and melodically, Paul wrote some damn fine lyrics on PL, describing his suburb, you almost felt like you were there, a kind of musical painting/tapestry of imagery and sounds.......so he's capable of greatness (as we all know), why is he writing this ?........................this is just meaningless schmalzz for me, devoid of any depth, just a little catchy tune with a little hook "All My Life...".........Im sorry Paul, like the other little ditty you wrote with your uke 'Everybody Gonna Dance Around' this is throwaway.
Beatle-esque yes, but seriously lacking any meaning or depth. (a trait sadly shown frequently in your solo years)
I dont even like the (what sound like) synthesised instruments, cant hear any guitar or real drums, just machinery thats been programmed in Pro Tools (Computer programme), the handclaps dont sound at all real either, too 'perfect' and robotic, no doubt a Pro Tools plug in.......(maybe thats painful memory for Paul when Stevie Wonder told him his handclaps were out of time during the recording of Ebony & Ivory)
I suppose Id like Paul to work harder on his songs, especially the words !!, Id have preferred this with an acoustic (real) guitar and some Ringo-esque drumming and an inventive bass line, McCartney style. (Im a sucker for The Beatles)  ha2ha

PS....If you like it, take no notice of me.

Bobber

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 06:38:07 AM »

I know why I don't come here much anymore, there's new Paul music just about to be released and no sod is talking about it.

This is a nostalgia forum, nothing more.

Come On Ollie, there's nothing wrong with you pulling the cart for a change. Yes, this is a nostalgia forum for the biggest part. Nothing wrong with that. The only current activities are Pauls and all we have now is a singalong song with a nice vibe. That's all. I am looking forward to the complete album however and your review on it.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 11:09:35 AM »

I wasnt going to comment as I dont really want to be negative, but I hate the damn thing, Barry is right it does have the 'vibe' of Penny Lane, the rhythmic tempo and hanclaps and the melody in parts is kinda similar.
Penny Lane though was a truly great song, both lyrically and melodically, Paul wrote some damn fine lyrics on PL, describing his suburb, you almost felt like you were there, a kind of musical painting/tapestry of imagery and sounds.......so he's capable of greatness (as we all know), why is he writing this ?

Yes, because with "And the banker never wears a mac/In the pouring rain, very strange", McCartney was really giving Dylan a good run for his money. Penny Lane's lyrics are typical McCartney, part good, part passable, part nonsense. What really matters is the incredible melody and atmosphere. That's what really makes you feel like you where there. And that's how the McCartney magic has always worked.

A good correspondent to it from his solo career would be 'Mull Of Kintyre' - a huge favourite of mine. Now that's a good set of lyrics, if McCartney ever wrote one. Of course, it's still the melody and atmosphere (why are those damn bagpipes so hair-raising?! Magic McCartney, I'm telling you!) that truly impress, but don't tell me that after Beatles he was never trying.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:11:12 AM by Ovi »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »

1. Save Us*
2. Alligator*
3. On My Way to Work...
4. Queenie Eye*
5. Early Days
6. New*
 7. Appreciate
 8. Everybody Out There *
 9. Hosanna
 10. I Can Bet
 11. Looking At Her
 12. Road

Deluxe Bonus Songs:

13. Scared

14.Secret Life of a Party Girl

* Single and 4 Songs on Paul McCartney.com

nimrod

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 12:43:10 PM »

A good correspondent to it from his solo career would be 'Mull Of Kintyre' - a huge favourite of mine. Now that's a good set of lyrics, if McCartney ever wrote one.

Lyrically I certainly agree that is a great song, but most stuff Ive read in books on the subject seem to say that the fantastic melody was Pauls but most of the lyrics were written by Denny Laine, after all it is down as a McCartney/Laine composition and Im sure Denny didnt write the melody but did indeed add those wonderful verses;

Far have I travelled and much have I seen
Dark distant mountains with valleys of green.
Past painted deserts the sunsets on fire
As he carries me home to the mull of kintyre.

Sweep through the heather like deer in the glen
Carry me back to the days I knew then.
Nights when we sang like a heavenly choir
Of the life and the time of the mull of kintyre.

These are the poetic kind of words that always evaded Paul UNLESS he dug very deep as in Penny Lane (or is that Denny Laine ? ) :D or Eleanor Rigby.

I think Penny Lanes lyrics are very good for Paul, he dug deep into his childhood years and for once we got a glimpse of the real Paul instead of metaphors and more love songs

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »

9. Hosanna

I wonder if this song is the standard Christian song that we play during church? I hope not because my son and I hate that song. Its just boring. Surely, its a different tune.

Looking forward to the album.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »

Penny Lane though was a truly great song, both lyrically and melodically, Paul wrote some damn fine lyrics on PL, describing his suburb, you almost felt like you were there, a kind of musical painting/tapestry of imagery and sounds.......so he's capable of greatness (as we all know), why is he writing this ?........................this is just meaningless schmalzz for me, devoid of any depth, just a little catchy tune with a little hook "All My Life...".........Im sorry Paul, like the other little ditty you wrote with your uke 'Everybody Gonna Dance Around' this is throwaway.
Beatle-esque yes, but seriously lacking any meaning or depth. (a trait sadly shown frequently in your solo years)
I dont even like the (what sound like) synthesised instruments, cant hear any guitar or real drums, just machinery thats been programmed in Pro Tools (Computer programme), the handclaps dont sound at all real either, too 'perfect' and robotic, no doubt a Pro Tools plug in.......(maybe thats painful memory for Paul when Stevie Wonder told him his handclaps were out of time during the recording of Ebony & Ivory)
I suppose Id like Paul to work harder on his songs, especially the words !!, Id have preferred this with an acoustic (real) guitar and some Ringo-esque drumming and an inventive bass line, McCartney style. (Im a sucker for The Beatles)  ha2ha

'New' is like 'A Fine Line' off of Chaos and Creation for me. Its not pretending to be a masterpiece (something your hoping for Kev or even expecting), but its an inoffensive song with a decent beat. Thats all. Its not going to make any of his Greatest Hits albums for sure, but its just a little nibble for the upcoming album. If we get lucky, it'll also share the same results as 'A Fine Line' and end up being the worst song on the record. We will see soon enough.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 05:17:40 PM »

I feel pretty much the way you Nimrod. I don't hate it but it doesn't do much for me. There are similarities to PL, noted. The synthesized instruments and somewhat immature chorus, "we can do what we want to do" lose me. he must have reverted to singing to teenagers again.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 12:22:47 AM »

Yes, perhaps 'hate' was too strong a word Dave (said in the heat of p*ssed offedness) :D

I dont hate it as such but I always get frustrated with Paul that he seems to have no 'quality gauge' and frequently seems out of step with his musically aware audience, his audience are a musical lot, many many of them have been around since the 60's and are not in the main...teenagers to whom lyrics are ok if they are sugary.

Ive just read the Howard Sounes book about his life and he quotes others saying the same about Paul, and alluding to Paul not putting in the extra 15% effort in his work .......(the 15% that can transpose a work from good to great) and having too many sidemen who will simply tell him something is great (even if thats not what they really feel), too many people he works with who are more than happy to put his name on their resume and dont want to get the cold shoulder.

I take these books with a pinch of salt, however they can be a useful tool for explaining things you may yourself have percieved.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 03:28:06 AM »

Yes, perhaps 'hate' was too strong a word Dave (said in the heat of p*ssed offedness) :D

I dont hate it as such but I always get frustrated with Paul that he seems to have no 'quality gauge' and frequently seems out of step with his musically aware audience, his audience are a musical lot, many many of them have been around since the 60's and are not in the main...teenagers to whom lyrics are ok if they are sugary.

Ive just read the Howard Sounes book about his life and he quotes others saying the same about Paul, and alluding to Paul not putting in the extra 15% effort in his work .......(the 15% that can transpose a work from good to great) and having too many sidemen who will simply tell him something is great (even if thats not what they really feel), too many people he works with who are more than happy to put his name on their resume and dont want to get the cold shoulder.

I take these books with a pinch of salt, however they can be a useful tool for explaining things you may yourself have percieved.
It's like the cuts on Anthology that are a step or two from being really good finished songs only during the Beatle years he had the energy and other Beatles to work it out to the end. Here it just seems like he settled for OK. I do give him credit though at his age.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »

I still think thats why I like Chaos and Creation so much. Godrich wasnt afraid to tell him when something wasnt good enough. There's no masterpieces from those sessions, but I thought the whole album was solid as hell. No Godrich and you get a Memory Almost Full.

You guys are right, Paul needs somebody to reign him in once and awhile.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »

I still think thats why I like Chaos and Creation so much. Godrich wasnt afraid to tell him when something wasnt good enough. There's no masterpieces from those sessions, but I thought the whole album was solid as hell. No Godrich and you get a Memory Almost Full.

It is good. I think he gets it righter when he's got something inside, in this case his divorce. You can hear his pain. I think Paul might be an outside in kind of guy and when he has something inside that's important it comes out well in his music. Other wise it's good pop!
Mark Twain

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 12:56:09 AM »

I think he can do what he wants. It's inoffensive, sugary in a similar vein to "Listen To What The Man Said". If it had been a Jenny Wren for instance, or no doubt another darker lyric from the "New" album we'd be moaning about it not being commercial or some such other nonsense. In another 50 years when, most likely, we'll be looking back on a book ended career the "New" song probably wont be as high up there as many but it's nice to hear something as up as this.

He hasn't sounded quite so cocky in a while.

nimrod

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 01:47:23 AM »

I must grab a hold of C & C Todd, Ive heard you say its a good one before mate.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 02:12:59 AM »

I must grab a hold of C & C Todd, Ive heard you say its a good one before mate.

I think you would like it Kev. Its not like his usual albums. I consider it his 'Mature' album. Its a personal record thats kind of like a stripped down 'Flowers In The Dirt'. Besides 'A Fine Line'. there isnt any fluff trying to impress (AFL was to be the single and its out of place on the album). I still think 'Too Much Rain' is one of the best songs that he's written in the last 20 years, but maybe I just like it for some reason. Give it a listen if you have the time and let us know what you think.

nimrod

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 10:37:05 AM »

I think you would like it Kev. Its not like his usual albums. I consider it his 'Mature' album. Its a personal record thats kind of like a stripped down 'Flowers In The Dirt'. Besides 'A Fine Line'. there isnt any fluff trying to impress (AFL was to be the single and its out of place on the album). I still think 'Too Much Rain' is one of the best songs that he's written in the last 20 years, but maybe I just like it for some reason. Give it a listen if you have the time and let us know what you think.

ok pal, I'll grab it this week ;)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »

ok pal, I'll grab it this week ;)
I'm kind of partial to the song "Vanity Fair". I like it's arrangement.
Mark Twain

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 12:32:47 AM »

I'm kind of partial to the song "Vanity Fair". I like it's arrangement.

Lol. Thats probably my least favorite Dave, but no worries. Its still a good dig song towards Heather though.  ;D

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »

Lol. Thats probably my least favorite Dave, but no worries. Its still a good dig song towards Heather though.  ;D

'Riding To Vanity Fair' is incredible, as is the whole album (his best since Tug Of War, no doubt). I'd love to say that the song is Paul at his atmospheric best, but I'm sure Godrich had a lot to contribute to it. The strings slowly ascending and descending, the tinkling celesta, the guitar's tone during the solo - everything comes together perfectly. Todd, you really need to give the song a good listen.

I love 'Chaos and Creation' a whole lot and it's the ultimate proof that McCartney can still pull off something great, all while perfectly comfortable in his own 60/70-year old skin. I was going to post more about the album, but I'll wait until it gets "microscoped" (if we're still doing Paul...).

I'd love the new album to be as good as Chaos. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:30:12 AM by Ovi »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »

'Riding To Vanity Fair' is incredible, as is the whole album (his best since Tug Of War, no doubt). I'd love to say that the song is Paul at his atmospheric best, but I'm sure Godrich had a lot to contribute to it. The strings slowly ascending and descending, the tinkling celesta, the guitar's tone during the solo - everything comes together perfectly. Todd, you really need to give the song a good listen.

Alright, i'll give it another listen.

I love 'Chaos and Creation' a whole lot and it's the ultimate proof that McCartney can still pull off something great, all while perfectly comfortable in his own 60/70-year old skin. I was going to post more about the album, but I'll wait until it gets "microscoped" (if we're still doing Paul...).

Yeah, its a top 5 from Paul for me for sure. I hope we continue with the microscopes. Reminds me, I need to break out the Lennon today.  ha2ha

I'd love the new album to be as good as Chaos.

For sure. I was really bummed out with Memory Almost Full because it couldn't touch Chaos and I felt Paul took a serious step backwards. Oh well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Page created in 3.636 seconds with 82 queries.