Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: That Great Voice On The Walls And Bridges Album  (Read 1522 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
That Great Voice On The Walls And Bridges Album
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:53:37 AM »

I've always thought "Walls And Bridges" is John's best album , inparticular his voice never sounded better on a solo album ?
 It's dreamy and relaxed on songs like Bless You  , Old Dirt Road and # 9 Dream , conversely it's funky and punchy on Whatever Gets You Thru The Night and What You Got .
Yes it's a bit mellow for some , but i think his singing really makes this album in some respects it's the total antithesis to the POB album which i think gives it it's strength ?
I really rate his vocal  on this album , what do you think ?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: That Great Voice On The Walls And Bridges Album
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:00:31 AM »

not his best album but he does try harder on this one even as far as to having a ral donner tune on it,one of his fave vocalists...also featuring the song that made john preform live again..whatever gets you thru the night...john asked elton to play on it and when he listened back to it he said it wasn't to good but elton disagreed and said i'll bet it goes number one...john said if it does i'll kiss your ass or something like that but it went up the charts to one...and so to pay off on the debt with elton john he joined him at madison square gardens on stage...

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:20:59 PM »

What an interesting story!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:27:11 AM »

here i copied this....Whatever Gets You Thru The Night took it's title from a TV programme that Lennon had watched about alcoholism, it features Elton John on piano, organ and supplying backing vocals (along with others).
Elton John had much more belief in the quality of the song than Lennon did, and struck up a bet that it would be John's first No.1 ... the payback being that if it did, then Lennon should join Elton at one of his live shows.
In the U.S.A. it duly went to No.1, and Lennon honoured the bet by appearing at Madison Square Garden at an Elton John gig on 28th November 1974. It turned out to be John Lennon's last ever appearance on a public stage, joining Elt on versions of "Whatever Gets You Thru The Night", "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", and most poignantly for his last song live, a McCartney song ... "I Saw Her Standing There" which he even dedicated to Paul.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 12:28:40 AM »

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 11:05:02 AM »

Quote from: 971
It's dreamy and relaxed on songs like Bless You  , Old Dirt Road and # 9 Dream , conversely it's funky and punchy on Whatever Gets You Thru The Night and What You Got .

Those are my favorite tracks, too. The production is a bit ornate for my taste, though: it's a pity John didn't follow his own example on Plastic Ono band and Imagine and go for a more stark, forceful approach. Maybe by 1974 he'd lost confidence and was hoping a lot of production and a conventional sound would carry the record?  :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 02:31:23 PM »

Quote from: 284
and most poignantly for his last song live, a McCartney song ... "I Saw Her Standing There" which he even dedicated to Paul.

Didn't he refer to him as the ex-wife?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »

Quote from: 483

Didn't he refer to him as the ex-wife?

"... an old estranged fiance of mine...."

smzbYbrYkxw

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 01:22:19 AM »

A glimpse of the old Lennon humour with that remark , give me witty John anyday over political John .(wink1)

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 54 queries.