Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: If Not For You/Lennon Slide?  (Read 1728 times)

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
If Not For You/Lennon Slide?
« on: October 01, 2008, 04:36:32 AM »

According to Wikipedia (who knows) it said the YES drummer Alan White said that John Lennon played Slide Guitar on "If Not For You", although Alan never says Slide Guitar in the reference article. Anyone else have any more evidence that its really John? I know he did slide in Let It Be. Its just strange having John making Plastic Ono Band and then dropping in on George while they were making somewhat different statements.
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: If Not For You/Lennon Slide?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 04:46:37 AM »

Haven't heard that myself, and tend to doubt it unless somebody else who was there can confirm it, but John and George were both working on solo albums at Abbey Road at about the same time, so it's not impossible. But it's also odd that John didn't mention this when he was complaining about George's failure to acknowledge him in his book. Listening to the session tape would probably settle it.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »

It isn't impossible, but it just seems odd. Why would John play on it? It would seem more likely to ask Bob Dylan to play on it, in my opinion.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 06:42:18 PM »

Well, Pete Drake appears on "I Live For You" and on an outtake from ATMP called "Pete Drake And His Talking Steel Guitar" from the bootleg album "Through Many Years". Pete Drake had worked alot with Bob Dylan before as well. The song features a Steel Guitar(with a talkbox!), which sounds alot like Slide Guitar, so Pete Drake could be a suspect.
You can hear Pete and George horsing around with it, even a short performance of "Danny Boy" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water". I should try to hunt up a outtake of "If Not For You", I am pretty sure John would be joking around during the down time like he loved to.
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 04:38:48 AM »

Quote from: 1309
Pete Drake could be a suspect.

Sure. And George.  :)

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 45 queries.