Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles record engineers on Ringo's drumming  (Read 1985 times)

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning
Beatles record engineers on Ringo's drumming
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:52:15 PM »

"Ringo is one of the greatest rock drummers. There were times when he’d get in the middle of a drum fill and not know how to get out, and that’s what made it great. -Ken Scott

"Regarding Ringo's drums, this was the first time I was able to record his kit in stereo because we were using eight-track instead of four-track. Because of this, I had more mic inputs, so I could mic from underneath the toms, place more mics around the kit - the sound of his drums were finally captured in full.

"I think when he heard this, he kind of perked up and played more forcefully on the toms, and with more creativity."-Geoff Emerick on Abbey Road

"Ringo's tom fills really make the song, but funnily enough, he hated doing them because he could never remember what he was did one take to the next. I think that's why his fills are so spectacular - he felt that he would never reproduce them, so he'd better get 'em right." -Geoff Emerick on Here Comes The Sun

"And then, of course, we get to the famous parts of The End, the drum solo and the three-way guitar solos. The thing that always amused me was how much persuasion it took to get Ringo to play that solo. Usually, you have to try to talk drummers out of doing solos! [laughs] He didn't want to do it, but everybody said, 'No, no, it'll be fantastic!' So he gave in - and turned in a bloody marvelous performance! It took a while to get right, and I think Paul helped with some ideas, but it's fantastic. I always want to hear more - that's how good it is. It's so musical, it's not just a drummer going off." -Geoff Emerick on The End

Sources: 1-http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Mar/Interview_Ken_Scott_Part_1_Recording_with_The_Beatles_Inside_the_Studio.aspx?Page=2
2-http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/beatles-engineer-geoff-emerick-on-abbey-road-219542/6
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:01:49 PM by LennonStarrFan »

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
“He's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 36 queries.