Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tomorrow Never Knows  (Read 14247 times)

Bobber

Re: Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

KelMar

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 06:24:39 PM »

BeatleFan

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 04:49:48 AM »

An amazing song, and I think one which demonstrates their musical evolution up to that point.

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 01:58:30 PM »

I think Tomorrow Never Knows is a real masterpiece and it's incredible when you think what a massive leap The Beatles made when they recorded it as the first track they worked on for Revolver. I'm surprised some aren't keen on it as I could listen to it on a loop. I'm pretty sure the "seagull" sounds aren't real seagulls. I know Geoff Emerick mentioned Paul added some altered sounds of wine glasses ringing but not sure which these are.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 11:26:54 PM »

Its never been one of my favorites either.  I always though it was kind of monotonous and boring.

KelMar

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 11:36:04 PM »

Its never been one of my favorites either.  I always though it was kind of monotonous and boring.

I can understand that but for some reason I like it. I guess it's more that the song, for me, is a very tangible marker of the the way they had changed during that period. It actually makes me laugh because Revolver was notably absent from my sister's collection of Beatles albums. I can picture her listening to it at some friend's house and the look on her face when she heard this! I think she sort of passed the Beatles torch on to my brother at this time.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 11:57:28 PM »

I found it thrilling when it was first out. Listened over and over. Had the album on the rarest format I know of, reel-to-reel tape. An official Capitol release, with the proper cover art on the box. I'll bet it would be quite the collector's item now. I think I had 'Sgt. Pepper's...' on reel-to-reel too. A little fuzzy on that - need to clean the old tape heads.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

KelMar

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 12:01:38 AM »

We had a reel to reel machine. I don't remember listening to music on it but somewhere out there (probably in a landfill) is a tape of me reciting nursery rhymes.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 12:13:16 AM »

It was one of those strange periods when I didn't have a record player (visiting my dad in SoCal - a great place to be when "Sgt. Pepper's...' was released), but I did have a reel-to-reel, and I got those two albums.

I just took a look and The Beatles albums were put out in that format straight through to 'Abbey Road' - odd but true. Maybe this was a popular format outside the U.S. Dunno.

Anyway, prices on Ebay range from $50 on up to a few hundred. Interesting.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 12:15:48 AM »

Yeah.  It's been touted as a song without chord changes but it alternates between C major and B flat major.  Ringo's drumming pattern is spectacular though.  And I'm pretty sure those are seagulls.

Now here's a song using predominantly the D minor chord with a few B flats and G minors and seagulls which made it big a year before...

http://youtu.be/l97xELhvYBQ

;)

I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 12:23:22 AM »

Maybe this was a popular format outside the U.S. Dunno.

My ex-brother-in-law had a bunch of reel-to-reels and a player that he had with him during the war in Vietnam. They did make it back when he came home but who knows if he still has them now.

KelMar

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 12:25:22 AM »

Now here's a song using predominantly the D minor chord with a few B flats and G minors and seagulls which made it big a year before...

I didn't know you liked The Shagri-Las, Barry. ;)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:56:26 AM by In My Life »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 01:44:49 AM »

I didn't know you liked The Shangri-Las, Barry.  ;)

Evidently, so did The Beatles...

http://youtu.be/l97xELhvYBQ
1:24

http://youtu.be/ODIvONHPqpk
1:41   3:03

;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:17:21 AM by Hello Goodbye »

KelMar

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 02:56:58 AM »

Evidently, so did The Beatles...

;)

And that, Barry, is the difference between a trained ear and mine.  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 03:26:24 AM »

And that, Barry, is the difference between a trained ear and mine.  ;D

Nah, Kelley.  That's what happens when you have a crush on Betty Weiss.  This is common knowledge on The Ali MacGraw Ward.    ;D

I added the earlier bridge at 1:41

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 03:55:21 AM »

Anyway, Kelley, The Shangri-Las appeared with the Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Dusty Springfield on one of their visits to England.  They must have had an impact on The Beatles.

:)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:24:17 AM by Hello Goodbye »

KelMar

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 04:16:57 AM »

Oh good grief Barry! I was listening so intently to the music that I didn't even realize it's a lyric thing! ha2ha But I've been having a rough night, from a genealogy standpoint and when I listened to it earlier my mind was all twisted up. But now I get it. And I did come across a clipping a while ago about The Shangra-Las going to England and Mary Weiss developing a medical issue that I think necessitated their early return. I didn't realize the Beatles' connection though. I should have known that!

BeatleFan

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 04:25:23 AM »

I think Tomorrow Never Knows is a real masterpiece and it's incredible when you think what a massive leap The Beatles made when they recorded it as the first track they worked on for Revolver.
Indeed. Tomorrow Never Knows was a statement - especially with it ending the album. It was showing where they were as a band, and what was to come. To me it's a perfect storm of lyrics and atmosphere.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 04:42:13 AM »

Oh good grief Barry! I was listening so intently to the music that I didn't even realize it's a lyric thing! ha2ha

Lyrical and musical, Kelley.  the bridges to both songs are nearly identical.  And I still think that The Beatles got the seagulls idea from The Shangri-Las.  :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 2.332 seconds with 81 queries.