Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: OLD CODGERS THREAD  (Read 8735 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: OLD CODGERS THREAD
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2008, 11:16:55 AM »

I wasn't aware you were an old codger fenders? Still, I shall grant you visitation rights once a week for the next 20 years, or until I fail to recognise you anymore. Whichever comes first.

Quote from: 185
I still have everything I was born with and nothing added. A girlfriend 20 years younger, but to be honest that's more of a problem than a bonus.
I'm quite into that "7 ages of man" stuff at the moment. When I Think of myself at say eight  - I was an information  sponge that found everything in the world fascinating, where all I wanted to do was run, jump, climb and explore. For all intents and purposes that child is dead now. As was the baby that preceedeed it, and the sex mad  music-is-my-life teenager thart followed. Now again at 49 I am a different person. I think I see things with much more objectivity and clarity than I ever could when I was younger. I do regret the passing of some of the previous me's - the world's just not as exciting as it used to be. I don't know if BM's done this, but I tried to resurrect some of my childhood passions (building model airplanes for instance) but the thrill is gone. But then again I have things in the new me that I wouldn't swap for the world, and I wouldn't resurrect The Teenager for all the tea in china.
Don't know what the Old Man Me is going to be like. Just hope it's not one of those sour faced old gits sitting on a bus grumbling on about the good old days. And when that Old Man Me dies, is it really any worse than the death of the other Me's?
And BM - maybe twenty more summers until someone's mashing your food with a fork and you're sh*tting in your pants (again). And you can go to the shops in your underpants and yell at people and all they do is give you a cup of tea and send you home. Every cloud....

Ah, the seven ages of man. Everything comes around again. Personally I can't wait to have a bag fitted so I don't have to get up from the sofa to have a slash every 20 minutes. And I'm growing into the idea that false teeth are a marvelous invention. No more visits to the dentist, no more drilling and filling, whip them out at night and stick them in a glass of water by the bed to scare the burglars away. Joy!

I am, it must be said, someone that moans a bit. It's in my nature. I'm not a fan of people, though I have a lot of friends, and find it easy to make them. I seem to be popular, though god knows why. My grumpy old git persona obviously isn't shining through enough!

I've recently been thinking about what I want to do with the rest of my life. Funny, that's the kind of thing you do when you're about 30. Still, better late than never. I've always enjoyed writing, so I'm doing more of that now, and I've realised that I really enjoy helping people. I'm always the first to offer help to someone who's moving home, or needs their shopping done, designing a new logo free of charge for a mate, or walking the old lady upstairs dog. I just get a kick out of it. So I thought, why not get paid for it? I'm on the lookout.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2008, 07:19:59 PM »

To answer the revival question, I have no feelings regarding my own mortality. What I say to myself if that I've had a great life-- thrills, chills, passions, upsets, escapes-- it's all there in the steadily softening gray matter. I still do the things I've always enjoyed, and make sure that my family knows that if I die being eaten by a mountain lion (incidents are increasingly common here) I died doing something I enjoy (wilderness trekking).

I'll race you to 50, BM. March, for me. One of the coolest things about reaching this age is that I've done a hell of a lot of stuff. I've had personal triumphs as well as setbacks, so I really do feel if I were to vanish through whatever cause, I have lived a neat life. Back in my teens and twenties, there were so many things I wanted to do. Now, in my late 40s, I've done a great number of them, as well as the unexpected things that came up because life did not follow my script. This backlog of memories is one of the pleasures of being an old codger.

Good luck with the writing, BM. It's one of those things that gets better with age, I think. Cheers!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2008, 08:59:57 PM »

My Birthdays in March Harihead 1st of March when's yours ? Im quite enjoying middle age and if i don't get ill or have an accident i expect to get into my 80's as people in my family tend to reach a good age one got to a 103 .
I don't want to get that old a fit 90 will do me .
Since becoming single again it's amazing how many nice middle aged women have taken a shine to my cheeky charm . I went on my first date the other night the first in many years , i had a great time .
This year i think im going to play the field see what happens, the old dog as got a bit of a second wind  ;) ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2008, 09:10:25 PM »

Quote from: 971
the old dog as got a bit of a second wind  ;) ;D

As long as you don't get it during your date. Blame it on the bloke at the table next to yours. Especially if it smells like an old dog.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2008, 09:21:41 PM »

LOL or get a farting lady  ;D

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2008, 11:44:40 PM »

Psst, DaveRam: avoid the gas-related jokes on your dates. This really is a guy thing; trust me.  ;D

Congrats on dating again! It all goes round and round. My birthday is mid-month, so you'll beat me to the big 5-oh. I'm thinking of going to Peru. It's time for another mountain adventure.

I'll be happy to get to 103, thank you. Then drop dead as I'm dancing on roller skates at a big party, with a silly hat on my head and a Lord of the Rings or Beatles fan button on.  ;D
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2008, 12:15:45 AM »

Im not 50 until 2011 so im going to enjoy these new teenage years  ;D
Harihead if you knew the northern women i know it's them that tell the dirty jokes, and there a lot worse than gas ones  :D

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2008, 03:39:01 PM »

It may sound trite, but it truly is mostly a state of mind, barring any severely debilitating health issues. Embrace a youthful attitude and life can be sweet.

:K)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2008, 03:59:07 PM »

Agree 100% Klang :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »

Two things bug me:
My past is now bigger than my future, and to add insult to injury time actually seems to be speeding up. When you're young time drags, now it's hurtling past.
And an ever increasing nagging awareness that if I want to do all those things I said I was going to do when I was young but put off because I had forever (sail around Cape Horn in a tall ship, fly in a MIG, drive across america, write a novel...) I need to do them soon. And because I've done my life arse about tit (ie I'm now at 50 likely to start a family) a few of them are probably off the list.
Then again, if at 18 I could have had a glimpse at what I'd done up to now I would be quite happy.
don't follow leaders

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2008, 07:46:36 PM »

Driving across America is somewhat overrated, I think (did it thrice). Especially with the cost of fuel these days.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

BlueMeanie

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2008, 02:36:04 PM »

Two things bug me:
My past is now bigger than my future, and to add insult to injury time actually seems to be speeding up. When you're young time drags, now it's hurtling past.
And an ever increasing nagging awareness that if I want to do all those things I said I was going to do when I was young but put off because I had forever (sail around Cape Horn in a tall ship, fly in a MIG, drive across america, write a novel...) I need to do them soon. And because I've done my life arse about tit (ie I'm now at 50 likely to start a family) a few of them are probably off the list.
Then again, if at 18 I could have had a glimpse at what I'd done up to now I would be quite happy.

A family?!! Still firing on all six then?

I haven't really done anything. A failed business, and two failed marriages. Haven't traveled much, but then I never really wanted to. Some would say that living in a foreign country is somewhat of an achievement, I suppose. I did eventually find my soulmate though, which I'm grateful for. There's nothing quite like the person you live with being your best mate.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2008, 02:43:33 PM »

Quote from: 483

A family?!! Still firing on all six then?

Hoping some of the little buggers have got a little life left in them. I did a tug into a test tube some years ago and I had 30% mutants! (probably the dope.) My dad sired a child in his 50's so fingers crossed.
Ronald Biggs and Adolf Eichman lived in foreign countries and no one considers them failures.

don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2008, 02:47:52 PM »

I did a tug into a test tube some years ago and I had 30% mutants! (probably the dope.)

I have a 95% chance of never having children. But then I never really wanted any in the first place. Too selfish. Me and the missus have never used any form of contraception, and in 10 years she's never been late once. Which is handy because I'm allergic to rubber!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2008, 03:12:21 PM »

I've definately had more than my fair share of running around and worrying about no one but moir so the thought of comitting my life to someone else is okay (in fact it will probabl;y be good for me.)
Assuming I have a son I'm looking forward to taking him camping, building aeroplanes etc. And I get to make a train set. If it's a girl she's not going out until she's 30.
don't follow leaders

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »

Quote from: 483

I have a 95% chance of never having children. But then I never really wanted any in the first place. Too selfish. Me and the missus have never used any form of contraception, and in 10 years she's never been late once. Which is handy because I'm allergic to rubber!
maybe we could ship some swimmers your way... ;)

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2008, 05:09:30 AM »

Quote from: 551
I'll be happy to get to 103, thank you. Then drop dead as I'm dancing on roller skates at a big party, with a silly hat on my head and a Lord of the Rings or Beatles fan button on.  ;D
If I'm still around and my dear wife is not, I'll be there too, making sexual advances!

But before you drop dead, not after, I hasten to add! ;D

I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2008, 02:49:41 PM »

lets hope the ability to preform out lives the desire to......

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2008, 04:45:34 PM »

Quote from: 1026
If I'm still around and my dear wife is not, I'll be there too, making sexual advances!

But before you drop dead, not after, I hasten to add! ;D

What, no interest in necrophilia? *sigh * scratches another one off my list*

EW EW EW I just squicked myself!!!!  :o ;D

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2008, 05:08:42 PM »

A cuddle is much better than sex sometimes and you don't risk a coronary at our age ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 81 queries.