Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I had never listened to The Beatles in mono, but now...  (Read 7951 times)

lunchpunch

• A Beginning
  • Turn me on when I get lonely.
    • My livejournal!
I had never listened to The Beatles in mono, but now...
« on: March 13, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »

Now that I watched a video and heard the differences for my own ears...
I feel like i'm missing out on a BUNCH of things! I almost feel like a bad fan (lol).
I always heard that's how they inteneded the music to be heard was in mono.
I'm making an effort right now to get Sgt. Pepper and the White Album in mono (I will not say how...).
Is it worth it for someone who has listened to nothing but stereo Beatles all her life to re-listen to all albums of The Beatles in mono?
I'd like to, but what should I really expect? What is really the difference? I do love catching new things.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:02:10 PM by lunchpunch »
Let me show you to my darkroom.

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
Re: I had never listened to The Beatles in mono, but now...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 01:08:43 AM »

I think if you have to add new sounds to the mono mix to make it interesting, it says something about the usefulness of mono records in general, although Please Please Me and period singles were definitely better in mono, if only because there was no center channel and they added distracting cross-channel reverb to the stereo mix.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »

But is this true - about how they intented the music to be heard in mono? I mean, they didn´t have much choice back then did they? It should maybe be more like, it´s like how the world heard them, then.
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »

You will feel like your listening to the band for the first time.

I don't want to spoil the party!  ;D - but you will hear a LOT of differences.

Now that I watched a video and heard the differences for my own ears...
I feel like i'm missing out on a BUNCH of things! I almost feel like a bad fan (lol).
I'm making an effort right now to get Sgt. Pepper and the White Album in mono (I will not say how...).
Is it worth it for someone who has listened to nothing but stereo Beatles all her life to re-listen to all albums of The Beatles in mono?
I'd like to, but what should I really expect? What is really the difference? I do love catching new things.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »

I'm not an audio freak at all, but I really hear the difference on Sgt Pepper. The mono version is much denser and fuller. To me it definately sounds better than the CD sound.
don't follow leaders

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »

When I bought the Sgt Pepper album on its release, I looked to save a dollar and bought the mono vinyl album.  In those days, stereo albums were priced ~ one dollar more than the mono version.  I was disappointed when I heard the stereo album, both in vinyl and CD.  Until the release of the Mono Set recently, I never bothered playing my stereo CD which I bought in 1987.  To really hear Sgt Pepper, I would take out my vinyl album and fire up the old turntable.

The mono remastered CD closely emulates the mono vinyl Sgt Pepper album.

Try checking out the remastered stereo and mono versions of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds on YouTube, lunchpunch.  The mono version is not sped up as is the stereo version.  It's fuller and more ethereal.
I can stay till it's time to go

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »

I miraculously got the Mono boxset.. (LOOOONG story), and I really, really, like it. It is great to listen to in headphones, especially. And I am kind of an audio freak (to a certain extent) and the smallest differences I can find just make my day ;D

mondo obscura

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »

Yes, they did mainly release mono as their primary sound field, and yes, they didn;t have a lot of choice since stereo was considered a gimmick still until the latter 60's.

The monos have more punch, and different mixes (because if done right a mono can have an almost stereo quality depth of field, it surrounds you without announcing from which side of the room it's on).  Some monos are better, some stereo is better...both are valid and important to hear if you care about these things. 

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »

I agree with much that is posted above. Some say that the monos are better, well, in some ways maybe. I like both. I consider myself a pretty serious fan. I would not be without either. Each is a unique listening experience.

The only album I truly prefer in one format than the other is "Beatles For Sale". I prefer the stereo version as I think it has so much more air. It really breathes better. The mono version has a lot of compression. That is not to say I do not like the mono though.

I hope I didn't crap on this thread.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 64 queries.