A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Author Topic: Classic 60's songs: Eight Miles High  (Read 733 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Classic 60's songs: Eight Miles High
« on: December 27, 2016, 12:33:43 AM »

"Eight Miles High" may be the most memorable and experimental record made by the Byrds, who released it as a single in March 1966. The song peaked at #14 in US, which was a decent chart position taking into account its innovative sound and the fact that it was banned in radio due to its supposed drugs-related lyrics. Moreover, the single reached the #24 position in UK. Gene Clark, Jim McGuinn and David Crosby wrote the song, before the first composer left the band because of his fear of flying. Ironically, the lyrics were about an airplane ride, flying higher than the usual six miles. Nevertheless, this song is highlighted for being among the founders of psychedelia. The ascending vocals, dense bass, intricate drumming and especially the random guitar playing (inspired by John Coltrane) made this a key note of the 60's. The times they were a-changin'.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Il9q397lL0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Il9q397lL0</a>
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:44:20 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • That Means a Lot
Re: Classic 60's songs: Eight Miles High
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 03:58:55 AM »

I've always liked this song a lot. From what I've read the "rain gray town, known for its sound" is London, where they landed in August 1965  when embarking on a tour of England. In spite of their chart success there with Mr. Tambourine Man, they didn't feel comfortable due to legal action taken by the manager of the British band The Birds (which included Ronnie Woods)and hostility from the music press. Of course that led to the lyrics "Nowhere is there warmth to be found/Among those afraid of losing their ground".
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 01:52:17 PM »

Good info, Kelley. Thanks!

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 04:52:20 AM »

You're welcome, Andrés!
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 06:28:55 AM »

Always loved this one too.  Still will never forget seeing C,S,N,&Y complaining about how awful our seat were (right behind the stage) when Jim Keltner stepped out and sat down behind the skins.  They opened up with this song.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 08:57:02 PM »

This is a cool song. I like how the free form sort of opening then jumps into the opening phrase. Great start to a song.

David Crosby's hat is also a standout.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 01:06:01 AM »

Yes, the Byrds certainly knew how to construct great intros: "Mr. Tambourine Man", "It Won't Be Wrong", "Eight Miles High", "So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star", "Renaissance Fair", etc.

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 01:19:05 AM »

As per previous Byrds song, not keen on this

Sort of weak and wishy washy  :-X

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 03:06:17 AM »

As per previous Byrds song, not keen on this

Sort of weak and wishy washy  :-X

That's a curious opinion coming from a Prog Rock fan like you. Still, you may not like the song, but at least you should compare it with other music released around early 1966, recognizing its innovation and creativeness.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 02:34:18 PM »

When it's about music, each one can have an own opinion and it does not need to be contradicted. But time usually distort perspectives, and it's always interesting to read opinions about a song at the actual time of its release.

Reception of "Eight Miles High" according to Wikipedia:

Contemporary reviews for the single were mostly positive, with Billboard magazine describing the song as a "Big beat rhythm rocker with soft lyric ballad vocal and off-beat instrumental backing." Record World magazine also praised the song, commenting "It's an eerie tune with lyrics bound to hypnotize. Will climb heights." In the UK, Music Echo described the song as "wild and oriental but still beaty". The publication also suggested that with the release of "Eight Miles High" the Byrds had jumped ahead of the Beatles in terms of creativity, stating "[By] getting their single out now they've beaten the Beatles to the punch, for Paul [McCartney] admitted recently that the Liverpool foursome are working on a similar sound for their new album and single." In recent years, Richie Unterberger, writing for the Allmusic website, has described "Eight Miles High" as "one of the greatest singles of the '60s."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 02:36:46 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 21 queries.