A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Classic 60's songs: Paint It Black  (Read 1057 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Classic 60's songs: Paint It Black
« on: January 01, 2017, 09:38:31 PM »

"Paint It Black" is one of the greatest recordings by the Rolling Stones. The song was written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards; it was released as a single in May 1966; and it reached #1 in both UK and US. The key note was the wild presence of a sitar, played by Brian Jones. Although the Beatles had already used a sitar in "Norwegian Wood", it must have been interesting to listen to the exotic instrument in a faster rock/pop number at that time. The lyrics seem to be a self-conscious shout of depression, as an effort to escape from darkness by the recognition of the spiritual breakdown. Certainly an outstanding song.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BcJaUYE5Jw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BcJaUYE5Jw</a>

"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

stevie

• Getting Better
Re: Classic 60's songs: Paint It Black
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:30:19 PM »

I've always sort of dismissed this song through sheer weight of hearing it a million times. But lately its been growing on me - it is on the playlist that plays in the supermarket where I work at night. It still sounds murky and sh*t produced like most early Stones stuff but it has an energy to it

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »

In my eyes an absolute classic of 66

That deep dark brooding minor key conjures up darkness mystery and even sounds satanically threatening

The sitar adds to the mystery a wonderful touch

This song has been covered and still is covered by a million classic rock covers bands (including mine) it is so popular and is one of the reasons why the stones achieved such massive popularity beaten only by The Beatles in the sixties

A truly great song with a truly great Melody, the coda (fade out) is also fantastic , we make it last about 5 minutes lol
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:50:29 AM by nimrod »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:21:12 AM »

Although the Beatles had already used a sitar in "Norwegian Wood", it must have been interesting to listen to the exotic instrument in a faster rock/pop number at that time.

We were first introduced to Indian musical instruments in rock songs in 1965 with songs like the Kinks' See My Friends...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSzxkbMri8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSzxkbMri8</a>

July 1965

...and The Yardbirds' Heart Full Of Soul with its lead guitar played through a fuzz box yielding a sitar-like sound...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU0BrupqfEc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU0BrupqfEc</a>

June 1965

An early take of Heart Full Of Soul featured a sitar...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgZXgrV5MRs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgZXgrV5MRs</a>

Yes, we enjoyed "Raga Rock" in 1965.  Ravi Shankar became a pop icon in 1966 with this type of exposure.

Paint It Black is one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs because of its darkness.  I liked several songs by The Animals, like We Gotta Get Out Of This Place and It's My Life, for the same reason.  It was a departure from songs aimed at prepubescent girls.

I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 01:34:15 AM »

Two thumbs up for this one. A favourite Stones song for me.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 01:39:40 AM »

Love the song.  Top 5 Stones tune for me.

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 01:52:08 AM »

I think on Heart Full of Soul it was a guitar Baz

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 12:09:09 AM »

Lead guitarist Jeff Beck employed an early use of a fuzz box on his lead part. The original arrangement called for a sitar playing the lead guitar part, but they instead opted for Beck's sitar-sounding guitar.

The roots of sitar blended into rock started November 1964, when Brian Auger engineered the first recording of "Heart full of Soul" by the Yardbirds. An authentic Indian sitar player was brought into the studio, as well as a tabla player who could not get the 4/4 time signatures right. Since The Yardbirds were a road group and the original could not be played to live audience, Jeff Beck stood in and used his fuzz machine with a tone blender that created a similar and extremely effective sound.

Seekers Guide To The Rhythm Of Yesteryear   Shiloh Noone

I posted both versions, Kev.

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 12:30:42 AM »

Lead guitarist Jeff Beck employed an early use of a fuzz box on his lead part. The original arrangement called for a sitar playing the lead guitar part, but they instead opted for Beck's sitar-sounding guitar.

The roots of sitar blended into rock started November 1964, when Brian Auger engineered the first recording of "Heart full of Soul" by the Yardbirds. An authentic Indian sitar player was brought into the studio, as well as a tabla player who could not get the 4/4 time signatures right. Since The Yardbirds were a road group and the original could not be played to live audience, Jeff Beck stood in and used his fuzz machine with a tone blender that created a similar and extremely effective sound.

Seekers Guide To The Rhythm Of Yesteryear   Shiloh Noone

I posted both versions, Kev.

You did mate and I apologise i read the thread on my phone on a tram and skimmed over it completely missing the other bit  roll:)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 12:36:04 AM »

We were first introduced to Indian musical instruments in rock songs in 1965 with songs like the Kinks' See My Friends...

Did See My Friends actually have Indian instruments on it? It's hard to tell whether it's just jangly guitars imitating the drones and things. Clearly Indian inspired regardless.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 02:08:46 AM »

Did See My Friends actually have Indian instruments on it? It's hard to tell whether it's just jangly guitars imitating the drones and things. Clearly Indian inspired regardless.

I just found this, Moog...

Producer Shel Talmy suggested overdubbing two 6-string electric guitars on top of each other, both playing the tonic and perfect fifth in an open-tuned drone style, creating a shimmering texture similar to the tamboura.  Davies' nasal lead vocal merges with the drone of the guitars as if he were attempting to sing a raga.  Without the use of Indian instruments, "See My Friends" was the first pop song to evoke an Indian feel.

The Dawn of Indian Music in the West    By Peter Lavezzoli

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 03:43:19 AM »

I just found this, Moog...

Producer Shel Talmy suggested overdubbing two 6-string electric guitars on top of each other, both playing the tonic and perfect fifth in an open-tuned drone style, creating a shimmering texture similar to the tamboura.  Davies' nasal lead vocal merges with the drone of the guitars as if he were attempting to sing a raga.  Without the use of Indian instruments, "See My Friends" was the first pop song to evoke an Indian feel.

The Dawn of Indian Music in the West    By Peter Lavezzoli

Thanks HG. I thought so. It's cleverly done. But it also puts into perspective Ray Davies rather narky comments after revolver was released that things like Love You To was something the Kinks had been doing two years before. Well. Sort of.  While they were the first to really do an Indian inspired tune and arrangement, going whole hog with the Indian instruments is a bit different.

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 03:55:11 AM »

Thanks HG. I thought so. It's cleverly done. But it also puts into perspective Ray Davies rather narky comments after revolver was released that things like Love You To was something the Kinks had been doing two years before. Well. Sort of.  While they were the first to really do an Indian inspired tune and arrangement, going whole hog with the Indian instruments is a bit different.

They used a Hog?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 04:10:10 AM »

They used a Hog?

Well they couldn't use cows for Indian music.  ;D

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »

Great song.
Does anyone remember the controversy that existed concerning adverts for the single where a comma was added? That made it into some kind of racist order "Paint It, Black". This was obviously not the intended meaning but it gave the single even more publicity than originally intended. It also goes to show the power of punctuation!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »

Great song.
Does anyone remember the controversy that existed concerning adverts for the single where a comma was added?

I didn't pay it any mind, zipp.  Record companies made occasional mistakes like that.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 05:13:05 PM »

Well they couldn't use cows for Indian music.  ;D

;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 07:05:36 PM »

Great song.
Does anyone remember the controversy that existed concerning adverts for the single where a comma was added? That made it into some kind of racist order "Paint It, Black". This was obviously not the intended meaning but it gave the single even more publicity than originally intended. It also goes to show the power of punctuation!

I've never heard that. That's hilarious.  ha2ha

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 10:22:24 PM »

I've never heard that. That's hilarious.  ha2ha
The original version was entitled “Paint It Black” without a comma. Keith Richards later said that the comma was added by the record label, Decca.

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 10:36:48 PM »

I've always sort of dismissed this song through sheer weight of hearing it a million times. But lately its been growing on me - it is on the playlist that plays in the supermarket where I work at night. It still sounds murky and sh*t produced like most early Stones stuff but it has an energy to it
Its interesting that you think it's badly produced didn't The Beatles complain that the Stones had much better recording facilities over in America?
The opening drum sound is great imo

Also interesting to note ....according to Wikipedia...that Brian Jones came up with the melody on his sitar
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.012 seconds with 21 queries.