Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Classic 60's songs: Ruby Tuesday  (Read 5502 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Classic 60's songs: Ruby Tuesday
« on: February 04, 2017, 11:31:35 PM »

"Ruby Tuesday" is a charming ballad by the Rolling Stones, released as a single in January 1967. The song was credited to Mick Jagger & Keith Richards, but it's said that Brian Jones was also involved in the composition. The single peaked at #3 in UK and reached #1 in US (certified as a gold record). The tune is constructed by a mellow verse and an upbeat chorus, harvesting some of the triumphs of mid-60's rock. Jones plays a recorder providing additional embellishment. The lyrics give a message contrasting passive comfort vs. following dreams. This is probably the sweetest recording in the band's catalog.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YJXfcndyvU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YJXfcndyvU</a>

"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Classic 60's songs: Ruby Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 03:37:15 PM »

One of my favourite Stones songs
Its rumoured that Brian Jones wrote the melody but Keith claimed it.

Stunningly beautiful song, wasn't it a B side?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »

As far as I know, in UK it was released as a double A-side single with "Let's Spend The Night Together". But in US "Ruby Tuesday" was considered as the A-side.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »

This is a favourite. Gorgeous song. And for a song that relies on good vocals the stones do a good job on it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 07:40:02 PM »

Good song, but not one of my favorites.

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »

But in US "Ruby Tuesday" was considered as the A-side.

I still have that record. I used to listen to it on the little phonograph that I got for my 5th birthday. Of course the meaning of the B side went right over my head but I loved both songs. I was lucky to have siblings who didn't mind sharing with their little sister.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 10:58:01 PM »

I still have that record. I used to listen to it on the little phonograph that I got for my 5th birthday. Of course the meaning of the B side went right over my head but I loved both songs. I was lucky to have siblings who didn't mind sharing with their little sister.

Actually it seems that "Ruby Tuesday" was not originally intended to be the A-side in US; but the suggestion of the other title prevented American radio stations to play it (it did not prevent your siblings to share it with you, though!). That's why "Let's Spend The Night Together" only reached #55 in US; while "Ruby Tuesday" topped the chart, being transformed into the virtual A-side.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:08:21 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 02:55:00 AM »

I don't know about those charts.  All my friends and I bought the record to listen to Let's Spend The Night Together.  They sold even more of the singles after they appeared on Ed Sullivan singing "Let's Spend Some Time Together."  Hey!  After all we were teenage boys!   :)

At least The Doors didn't co-opt...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61m_Dm44RHA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61m_Dm44RHA</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiKG89cOcow" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiKG89cOcow</a>

Man, what a blast it was coming of age in the 60s!

I can stay till it's time to go

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 04:36:04 AM »

That was another situation parodied in the Simpsons:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QClC-W8Znto" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QClC-W8Znto</a>

:)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 07:34:17 PM »

As far as I know, in UK it was released as a double A-side single with "Let's Spend The Night Together". But in US "Ruby Tuesday" was considered as the A-side.

In the UK both songs were promoted but in his book on the Stones Bill Wyman puts Ruby Tuesday as the B side. There's also a quote from Mick saying "The A side is a dancy, strong beat" so he's obviously referring to Let's Spend The Night Together.

In the US double A sides didn't exist. Each side of every record could chart. But part of the American chart positions were based on RADIO play and it's obvious that Let's Spend The Night Together got a lot less of that.

As for the Doors ... well their first single Break On Through was censored to the extent of the word "high" being edited out even on the original record. So Jim sings "She gets, She gets." here he is doing it on American TV :

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYO1PjxRtt4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYO1PjxRtt4</a>

It's only in recent years that the song has been released in its uncensored form.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 08:00:49 PM »

In the UK both songs were promoted but in his book on the Stones Bill Wyman puts Ruby Tuesday as the B side. There's also a quote from Mick saying "The A side is a dancy, strong beat" so he's obviously referring to Let's Spend The Night Together.

In the US double A sides didn't exist. Each side of every record could chart. But part of the American chart positions were based on RADIO play and it's obvious that Let's Spend The Night Together got a lot less of that.

I think the case of that single was similar to the Beatles' "Day Tripper"/"We Can Work It Out" and "Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane". In UK they were promoted as double A-side singles; but "Day Tripper" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" were treated as the virtual A-sides. However, in US the order was the opposite, at least for radio stations, which gave more airplay to "We Can Work It Out" and "Penny Lane".

As for the Doors ... well their first single Break On Through was censored to the extent of the word "high" being edited out even on the original record. So Jim sings "She gets, She gets." here he is doing it on American TV :

It's only in recent years that the song has been released in its uncensored form.

"The End" is another song by the Doors including some censored words, and it was also released in its uncensored form in later years.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 10:37:38 PM »

I think the case of that single was similar to the Beatles' "Day Tripper"/"We Can Work It Out" and "Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane". In UK they were promoted as double A-side singles; but "Day Tripper" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" were treated as the virtual A-sides. However, in US the order was the opposite, at least for radio stations, which gave more airplay to "We Can Work It Out" and "Penny Lane".

No, I disagree. "Day Tripper"/"We Can Work It Out" and "Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane" were both official double A sides in the UK. They were released and promoted in this form. And for the second single, if anything, "Penny Lane" was the track you heard the most.

Concerning the Stones I remember that in the UK it was "Let's Spend the Night Together" that was considered the A side. Nobody ever said to me "Hey, the Stones are number three with Ruby Tuesday".

In the USA none of these singles were double A sides since they didn't exist at the time. The only Beatles single that can be considered so is Something/Come Together which were both at number one at the same time due to a change in Billboard's charting policy.

Incidentally I adore "Ruby Tuesday" and was very pleased several years ago to eat in a restaurant in the US called "Ruby Tuesday". Do they still exist?

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 11:14:26 PM »

No, I disagree. "Day Tripper"/"We Can Work It Out" and "Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane" were both official double A sides in the UK. They were released and promoted in this form. And for the second single, if anything, "Penny Lane" was the track you heard the most.

Concerning the Stones I remember that in the UK it was "Let's Spend the Night Together" that was considered the A side. Nobody ever said to me "Hey, the Stones are number three with Ruby Tuesday".

In the USA none of these singles were double A sides since they didn't exist at the time. The only Beatles single that can be considered so is Something/Come Together which were both at number one at the same time due to a change in Billboard's charting policy.

Incidentally I adore "Ruby Tuesday" and was very pleased several years ago to eat in a restaurant in the US called "Ruby Tuesday". Do they still exist?

I do know that "Day Tripper" got more airplay than "We Can Work It Out" in UK; and the opposite occurred in US. Maybe that was not the case of "Strawberry Fields Forever" in UK, but I think the Beatles' intention was to consider this song as the first of the couple. I find some hints which make me believe that, though I admit they are not absolutely conclusive.

Now I don't know why we shouldn't consider "Let's Spend The Night Together"/"Ruby Tuesday" as a true double A-side single. It's widely informed that the single was released in that form, with both songs peaking at #3 in UK. I don't think the words from Mick Jagger and Bill Wyman should be taken as a determinant proof; it would depend on when they said that, because after so many years memory usually fails. I understand that "Let's Spend The Night Together" was the virtual A-side of the collective unconscious in UK; but "Ruby Tuesday" was not treated as an actual B-side.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:26:01 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 12:26:09 AM »

I do know that "Day Tripper" got more airplay than "We Can Work It Out" in UK; and the opposite occurred in US. Maybe that was not the case of "Strawberry Fields Forever" in UK, but I think the Beatles' intention was to consider this song as the first of the couple. I find some hints which make me believe that, though I admit they are not absolutely conclusive.

Now I don't know why we shouldn't consider "Let's Spend The Night Together"/"Ruby Tuesday" as a true double A-side single. It's widely informed that the single was released in that form, with both songs peaking at #3 in UK. I don't think the words from Mick Jagger and Bill Wyman should be taken as a determinant proof; it would depend on when they said that, because after so many years memory usually fails. I understand that "Let's Spend The Night Together" was the virtual A-side of the collective unconscious in UK; but "Ruby Tuesday" was not treated as an actual B-side.

The Beatles' intentions in the UK were absolutely clear. They said these singles were special and both songs on each single were equally good.You need to give me more than "hints" or unsubstantiated memories to prove otherwise.

As for the Stones the quotes are from magazines from the time of release. And today the UK Official Charts Company lists Let's Spend The Night Together as the A side. No mention of Ruby Tuesday whatsoever.

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/28195/rolling-stones/

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 12:58:32 AM »

The Beatles' intentions in the UK were absolutely clear. They said these singles were special and both songs on each single were equally good.You need to give me more than "hints" or unsubstantiated memories to prove otherwise.

As for the Stones the quotes are from magazines from the time of release. And today the UK Official Charts Company lists Let's Spend The Night Together as the A side. No mention of Ruby Tuesday whatsoever.

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/28195/rolling-stones/

I don't know what we are discussing here. Of course a double A-side single is intended to give equal importance to both songs. But you always have to mention one song as the first and the other song as the second. And I usually see "Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane" as the most common order. For instance, the CD release of the single has SFF as track #1 and PL as track #2; and The Blue Album (1973) includes SFF as the opening track and PL as the second track. But again, I admit these are subjective hints, but they've formed my opinion. Anyway, I'm not claiming to own the absolute truth here, it's just my vision on that great single. I don't expect you to agree with me.

With regard to "Let's Spend The Night Together"/"Ruby Tuesday", it was not an invention of mine that it was released as a double A-side single. There are several sources informing that. Perhaps the single was not originally intended to be a double A-side release; but the enormous success of the B-side may have given it a higher status afterwards. Otherwise, I don't understand why this single is usually said to have two A-sides.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:01:24 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 03:20:09 PM »

Maybe the Stones single was a double A side on release  but it would be nice to see an official announcement from the time of release.

As for the Beatles, here's a UK ad from when the single came out. Penny Lane first.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »

From memory of watching top of the pops at the time Penny Lane was played slightly more on that weekly show, I seem to remember that video (with the horses) more than the SSF video, (with the wrecked piano and the tree)
Maybe the BBC felt that SFF must somehow be about drugs.  ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 12:07:27 AM »

From memory of watching top of the pops at the time Penny Lane was played slightly more on that weekly show, I seem to remember that video (with the horses) more than the SSF video, (with the wrecked piano and the tree)
Maybe the BBC felt that SFF must somehow be about drugs.  ;D

Could have been about time too.  Penny Lane was an entire minute shorter. 

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 02:42:49 AM »

Maybe the Stones single was a double A side on release  but it would be nice to see an official announcement from the time of release.

As for the Beatles, here's a UK ad from when the single came out. Penny Lane first.

Yes, I think it's impossible to define an official order, if it exists.

This was the official back cover of the single:

"Penny Lane" appears first, if you read from the top part; but "Strawberry Fields Forever" is written with bigger letters. So the mistery remains...

The song titles were not present in the front cover. However, the owner of this copy seemed to agree with me on the subjective virtual order:

:)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 04:34:34 PM »

In UK they were promoted as double A-side singles; but "Day Tripper" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" were treated as the virtual A-sides.

I still disagree with this assertion.

In your last post I think you've changed your mind since you now say it's subjective, which it most certainly is.

Myself I think the whole point of a UK double A side was NOT to have "a virtual A side".

There's also the argument of which song has the first reference number on the side of the single. Strawberry Fields (18415) comes before Penny Lane (18416) BUT We Can Work It Out (18341) comes before Day Tripper (18342). So there again your subjective "intuition" is fallacious.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.117 seconds with 85 queries.