Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Pretty Things  (Read 2224 times)

nimrod

The Pretty Things
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »

One of Todds favourite bands although I think he prefers their later stuff, I was a big fan of their 60's R & B output, hell they even got in the charts in the UK  :o The Pretty Things first three singles — "Rosalyn" #41, "Don't Bring Me Down" #10, and the self-penned "Honey I Need" at #13 — appeared in the UK Singles Chart in 1964 and 1965.

I remember they were very similar to The Stones in the mid sixties (my older brother had LP's by both bands) and some people thought they were better than the Stones, its long been said though that they never went and toured the States to secure the big sales and tours that bands needed whereas the Stones of course did.
In many ways these boys made the Stones look cuddly  ;D

They changed style and made the first rock opera SF Sorrow in 1969 which commercially was a flop

Still gigging though I believe and In April 2012, a re-imagining of S.F. Sorrow, entitled Sorrow's Children and featuring covers by contemporary bands of each track, was due for release on Fruits De Mer Records. The album included an interview with May and Taylor, and had a live version of "Loneliest Person". The latter was recorded at their gig at London's 100 Club in December 2010, at which they played the whole of their first album.

Heres one from their eariler R n B period that I really like, Judgement Day (I can imagine them blasting this out live)

the pretty things - judgement day

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:54:58 PM by nimrod »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: The Pretty Things
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 01:06:33 AM »

You know i'm on board here Kev. It is true that I prefer the later stuff, but I have no issues with the early stuff either. its a shame that management and their partying nature held them back because they were good.

Here's one of my favorite early ones. Phil plays a mean harp on this one.
The Pretty Things - We'll Be Together - 1964 45rpm

Talk about a band that constantly progressed.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 11:09:57 AM »

I own 'S.F. Sorrow' and I think it's a great album. I'm not familiar with the rest of the stuff, but maybe it's time I should try some of their other albums.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 12:57:11 AM »

I own 'S.F. Sorrow' and I think it's a great album. I'm not familiar with the rest of the stuff, but maybe it's time I should try some of their other albums.

I think 'SF Sorrow' is the greatest album ever made. If you want to check out some other good ones from the Pretties, try 'Parachute' (for sure), 'Silk Torpedo', and 'Emotions'. 'Emotions' is pretty crazy because the record company added some horns on some of the songs and lets just say they didnt do a very good job. The band wasnt happy with that at all, but some great songs all the same.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 02:33:23 AM »

I like S.F. Sorrow but never was wild about it. I guess its magic didn't get to touch me.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 03:54:06 AM »

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 52 queries.