Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Revolver  (Read 23809 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Beatles under a microscope - Revolver
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 12:26:31 AM »

One thing I forgot to mention, but need to say is that the Anthology version of 'And Your Bird Can Sing', when they are all tripping and laughing their asses off, is priceless.

I agree.  I'm glad the technicians in the control booth kept the tape going...

And Your Bird Can Sing // Anthology 2 // Disc 1 // Track 19 (Stereo)

I happen to like the early take of And Your Bird Can Sing.  Both versions are equally good, in my opinion.

The Beatles - And Your Bird Can Sing Take2 [HQ] RARE 1966 LAST TOUR COLOR FOOTAGE

THE BEATLES Remasters! /// 9. And Your Bird Can Sing - (REVOLVER) - (MONO Remastered 2009)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:31:52 AM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 12:27:43 AM »

Thanks for the link, but it'll have to wait until I listen to it at home. The soundcard on this work computer is useless.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 01:09:29 AM »

Thats possible. I looked up a bunch of lyric pages for the song and they all have Dr. Robert throughout.

They do it again a little later in the song too, somewhere in the ending if I remember right.

Yes, they slur the second syllable again at 2:04

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 06:52:39 PM »

from close listening i would say it's 'bob robert' but it's a little strange,was the dr. really called robert robert?i must admit to being more than a little surprised that nobody has said that revolver is their favourite beatle album (apart from todd).i really thought it was a foregone conclusion that it was most fans' favourite.shows how wrong you can be i suppose.a couple of other things i'd like to mention,did anybody else realise that paul does not sing at all on 'she said she said'?also,i think ringos' snare drum sound on 'tomorrow never knows' was never bettered.i know it keeps getting said but ringo is awsome,especially on revolver.a good story about the recording of 'for no one',apparently alan civil took the one take to lay down the great horn part,he played it absolutely perfect first time,yet paul says over the talkback..."ok,i think you can do it a bit better than that,alan".according to george martin the look on alan civils' face was priceless!!of course he couldn't play it any better!it was perfect first time and every time!
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 07:21:05 PM »

i must admit to being more than a little surprised that nobody has said that revolver is their favourite beatle album

Rubber Soul is my favorite.

apparently alan civil took the one take to lay down the great horn part,he played it absolutely perfect first time,yet paul says over the talkback..."ok,i think you can do it a bit better than that,alan".according to george martin the look on alan civils' face was priceless!!

The look on Alan Civil's face must have been similar to the look on George Harrison's face during the Let It Be sessions..."I'll play whatever you want me to play, or I won't play at all if you don't want to me to play. Whatever it is that will please you, I'll do it."

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »

from close listening i would say it's 'bob robert' but it's a little strange,was the dr. really called robert robert?

Yes it's funny but if I now listen to it with "Bob" in my head I distinctly hear it as "Bob". But when I just listen to it without concentrating (if you know what I mean) it definitely comes through as "Doc" which makes more sense and which is what I'll always believe they're actually singing.

That said, I once met a man called Joe Joseph, whose real name must have been Joseph Joseph....

i must admit to being more than a little surprised that nobody has said that revolver is their favourite beatle album (apart from todd).i really thought it was a foregone conclusion that it was most fans' favourite.shows how wrong you can be i suppose.

To be fair I'm sure it is the favourite album of many, many fans. Not every Beatle nut posts on here! I remember being quite disappointed when I first bought and played Revolver...apart from Eleanor Rigby and Yellow Submarine (neither of which were "typical" Beatles songs) I'd never heard any of the other tracks before and didn't find any of them instantly catchy, which was unthinkable for a Beatles record! I almost took it back to the store for a refund...so it really does just show how wrong I can be I suppose!

After a few repeated listenings I realised what a stupendous album this actually was.

did anybody else realise that paul does not sing at all on 'she said she said'?

Yes... and dare I say it was the better for it on this occasion? Paul plays bass but is otherwise strangely subdued on this particular track. But I think the combination of John's & George's voices work especially well here.

a good story about the recording of 'for no one',apparently alan civil took the one take to lay down the great horn part,he played it absolutely perfect first time,yet paul says over the talkback..."ok,i think you can do it a bit better than that,alan".according to george martin the look on alan civils' face was priceless!!of course he couldn't play it any better!it was perfect first time and every time!

I think Paul was a bit of a perfectionist, and there are worse faults than that! perhaps on occasion he over agonised about things? He was such a consummate musician and he always wanted to give nothing short of his best to the public. I don't think he was questioning others' musicianship, I think he just had very high standards and was prepared to go the extra mile to get things exactly how he wanted them...he was the least lazy of The Beatles. Didn't John once pass a tongue in cheek remark (when asked what broke up The Beatles): "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" (in semi-jokey reference to Paul's insistence they try it yet again for the umpteenth take!)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 08:43:15 PM »

That said, I once met a man called Joe Joseph, whose real name must have been Joseph Joseph....

And I had a partner from University called Martín Martino.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 08:49:49 PM »

I think Paul was a bit of a perfectionist, and there are worse faults than that! perhaps on occasion he over agonised about things? He was such a consummate musician and he always wanted to give nothing short of his best to the public. I don't think he was questioning others' musicianship, I think he just had very high standards and was prepared to go the extra mile to get things exactly how he wanted them...he was the least lazy of The Beatles. Didn't John once pass a tongue in cheek remark (when asked what broke up The Beatles): "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" (in semi-jokey reference to Paul's insistence they try it yet again for the umpteenth take!)

On the other hand, Paul might have just been teasing Alan Civil.  Who knows?!  It's a good thing he didn't hand Paul his French horn and say "Let's see you do it better."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 09:42:45 PM »

I didnt realize that Paul didnt sing backgrounds on 'She Said She Said'. Good choice on that track.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 12:18:58 AM »

I’m Only Sleeping - I remember hearing Rain before I heard Revolver.  I liked the backward track at the end so I was happy to hear more of this from John on I'm Only Sleeping.  I read that John bought a Danelectro Coral Electric Sitar around this time, but it was never used on any of The Beatles' recordings.  So the sitar-like effects were done more routinely on guitar.

Edit:  The Coral Electric Sitar always intrigued me.  You all remember the sound...Joe South, The Box Tops, B.J. Thomas, etc.  An original 1960s Coral Sitar was expensive.  Fortunately Jerry Jones, in his Nashville factory, refined Vinnie Bell's original design and produced The Jerry Jones Master Electric Sitar which I purchased in 2005...

Now that's a fun axe to play!  

Jerry Jones recently retired and he is no longer making these.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:50:43 AM by Hello Goodbye »

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »

On the other hand, Paul might have just been teasing Alan Civil.  Who knows?!  It's a good thing he didn't hand Paul his French horn and say "Let's see you do it better."

i think it could have been that paul wasn't too familiar of the differences between classical musicians and rock musicians.it's always easy to say to your guitarist or drummer "that was ok,but i think you could do better",but classical players (alan civil,david mason )are spot on first time,then afterwards it doesn't get better or worse;the next take will be identical as they are reading from a score.paul,ithink,was showing inexperience.after all,he was still only 23/24 years old.which would have made george 22/23 years old when making revolver.frightening.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

nimrod

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »

paul,ithink,was showing inexperience.

Paul dont forget by this time had worked with various classically trained musicians on things like Yesterday, its my opinion he was being a bit big headed, he shouldve left it to George M to decide whether it was a good performance.

But hey, we all said daft things when we were young.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 09:19:38 PM »

George plays bass on 'She Said, She Said', which is why it doesn't seem like Macca's style.

Paul contributed nothing to the song because he was in a crappy mood about something and took off when they recorded it!
I reaad that ini some book once but it makes sense, cos there is nothing of Paul in voice or bass on that song.

nimrod

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 10:47:40 PM »

That brought to mind an interview I saw once where Paul was thoroughly miserable and said nothing, he looked really p*ssed off, I think John noticed and sort of said 'whats up' or something, but for the life of me I cant remember where it was, I think they were wearing suits so probably an early one.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 11:56:19 PM »

I'm going to try and get Sgt. Peppers up in the next few days.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 12:54:04 AM »

Bear with me please. I was going to get the Peppers review up today before work, but I had to plant blueberry bushes instead.

ASAP

Bobber

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 07:22:41 AM »

Bear with me please. I was going to get the Peppers review up today before work, but I had to plant blueberry bushes instead.

ASAP

It's a matter of priorities Todd. ha2ha

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 08:35:13 AM »

I'm a fat man Cor, so you know where my priorities lie.  2ch

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2011, 12:29:29 PM »

That brought to mind an interview I saw once where Paul was thoroughly miserable and said nothing, he looked really p*ssed off, I think John noticed and sort of said 'whats up' or something, but for the life of me I cant remember where it was, I think they were wearing suits so probably an early one.

It was November 1963. Paul was ill with gastric flu and they had to cancel a gig that night.
Beatles "Day By Day" 1963

Bobber

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2011, 07:15:53 AM »

Nice little video, especially because the interaction between John and Paul is great to watch. The question by the reporter are rubbish as always. lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.808 seconds with 85 queries.