Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles Road Manager and Gentle Giant Remembered, 36 Years After His Death  (Read 1004 times)

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages

Dinosaur Album Guides
January 4, 2012
The Beatles Road Manager and Gentle Giant Remembered, 36 Years After His Death
Article first published as The Beatles Road Manager and Gentle Giant Remembered, 36 Years After His Death on Blogcritics.

There are many contenders for the coveted title of "Fifth Beatle." Some qualify due to their brief yet influential period as a fifth musical component of the Beatles' early career. Candidates include Stu Sutcliffe (bass) and Pete Best (drums) and to a lesser degree Chas Newby, who temporarily replaced Sutcliffe on bass, and who declined John Lennon’s request to join the group permanently in Hamburg in favour of returning to University. Others qualify due to their business relationship with the group, Brian Epstein and Neil Aspinall spring to mind. Then you have production candidates: Geoff Emerick, Norman Smith and of course "Fifth Beatle" extraordinaire, George Martin. There is one candidate however who fits almost all criteria as "Fifth Beatle", and who spent more time with the group than possibly anyone else in their short professional career. Road manager, bouncer, minder, nursemaid, travelling companion, loyal friend, session musician, talent scout, producer and general dogsbody: step forward, Mr. Fixit, otherwise known as Mal Evans. 

http://onlynorthernsongs.blogspot.com/2012/01/beatles-road-manager-and-gentle-giant.html

http://blogcritics.org/music/article/the-beatles-road-manager-and-gentle/
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon

stevie

• Getting Better

I started a film script about Mals life a couple of years back, titled, 'To Serve Is To Rule.'

Wrote about 20 pages but put it aside. I really should get it done as its a story that needs to be told. I did a short script called 'Nowhere Man', about his death, which came out ok.

RIP big fella...

cubanheel

• Getting Better

Mal's story DOES need to be told, Stevie, the more you look at it the more you drop your jaw. You simply couldn't make it up. Hope you get to finish it, and I'd love to see a film/documentary or anything if it was done properly. But I understand the mammoth undertaking involved! So many aspects of the Beatles' story are fascinating, even if you set aside the Beatles! For example, Nowhere Boy would work as an interesting family/social history even if John hadn't gone on to be ... well, John!
RIP Mal.
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville

Shocking to hear how little he was paid, what with all that money swirling around.

I'm reminded of Diana Rigg's story. She quit 'The Avengers' because she was reportedly only getting £450 per episode in her second and last season (up from £150 per episode for her first season). I think it's safe to say that most people thought of her as being the heart of the franchise once she caught on so big in the States. Too bad the producers didn't reciprocate accordingly. Cheap bastards.

Anyway, too bad about Mal. Seems to have been a pretty good guy.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

stevie

• Getting Better

Mal's story DOES need to be told, Stevie, the more you look at it the more you drop your jaw. You simply couldn't make it up. Hope you get to finish it, and I'd love to see a film/documentary or anything if it was done properly. But I understand the mammoth undertaking involved! So many aspects of the Beatles' story are fascinating, even if you set aside the Beatles! For example, Nowhere Boy would work as an interesting family/social history even if John hadn't gone on to be ... well, John!
RIP Mal.

Yeah, true!  The reason I stopped work on it was because I didn't want it to be just vignettes of the Beatles story with Mal lumped in each one. I would try to show the behind the scenes stuff that most people wouldn't know about - not hardcore Beatle nuts like us, i mean.

The first 10 pages of my script showed Mal finding the Cavern, meeting George, his wife's reaction, etc. I made up some of the dialogue but it reads pretty well, and isn't too 'corny'.  I'm currently writing a new comedy, called 'Hello Goodbye', about a guy who's trying to get to a Macca concdert before he dies. i might get back to the Mal one sometime this year.

Its odd because, technically, the Mal script should be easy for me to write as I have all the info there. But I wanted it to be done right.

https://www.dropbox.com/home#:::  If anyone is interested, here's the work I've done about Mal. 'Nowhere Man' is a short about his death. 'To Serve Is To Rule' is the start of his life story.

cheers guys!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:55:25 PM by stevie »

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 50 queries.