Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 'Living in the Material World' Wins 2012 Critic's Choice for Best Documentary  (Read 6058 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM

'Living in the Material World' Wins 2012 Critic's Choice for Best Documentary

January 12, 2012

http://www.georgeharrison.com/#/news/archive/201201/living-material-world-wins-2012-critics-choice-best-documentary

Los Angeles – At tonight’s 17th Annual Critic’s Choice Awards, GEORGE HARRISON: LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD won the award for Best Documentary Feature. Living in the Material World was directed by Martin Scorsese, who was also honored tonight by Leonardo DiCaprio and Olivia Harrison with the Critic's Choice Music + Film Award.

After an introduction by DiCaprio and a montage of Scorsese’s films, Olivia Harrison took the stage. "Whether Martin Scorsese puts music to picture, or picture to music, I cannot say," she said. "But I knew he would understand that the core of George's story could be found in his music."

Olivia then introduced Bob Dylan, who was on hand to perform in tribute to the director. Dylan awed the audience with his performance of "Blind Willie McTell," afterward being treated to a standing ovation.

"Marty, it's no wonder musicians and composers revere you," said Olivia, "because you illustrate the timeless power of their art. May you continue to influence and inspire, educate filmmakers and film lovers with your extraordinary knowledge and appreciation of music."

Following Scorsese’s heartfelt acceptance speech, DiCaprio announced that George Harrison: Living in the Material World was awarded the Critics Choice Award for Best Documentary Feature in a category that also featured other great films like Undefeated, Project Nim, Page One, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, and Buck.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?

Urgh. I have still yet to see this. No HBO for me.  :-[

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages

I will pull this up from the dead.

I downloaded this prior to going to London for the flight but totally forgot I had it.  Was on a short domestic flight on Saturday and watched part of it, then realized Ipads only give you 24 hours to watch so I watched it some more yesterday with my morning coffee and luckily finished before the 24 hours were up.

I enjoyed it a lot.  New quotes, new interviews were great.  Some things off the top of my head that I enjoyed:
- Petty talking about the ukalalies (sp) and when George gave him some out of his trunk ("never know when you might need them, not everybody walks around with one")
- Petty talking about the naming of "Handle with care" and being invited into the Wilburys in general
-Olivia or Eric Idle (dont remember actually) saying while George was being carried out of the house after the stabbing and noticing some of the recently hired help, asking them how they liked the job so far.
- hearing/watching George talk about spirituality vs voiced over narrators
- Dhani's pain (I didn't enjoy this but it was subtle and moving)
- whole Clapton/Patti/George part, hearing them each discuss

Was a fun watch.  Sorry I'm so late to the party.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023

I like the film. For such a long film they did seem to rush throug latter parts of George's music career. And the beginning did seem to rely a lot on anthology offcuts.

But it was fun and entertaining. I think what might have surprised people less familiar with George and who'd fallen for the notion he was a maudlin recluse just what a large circle of very loyal friends he had. It says a lot about him I think.

I also loved the ukulele line with Tom Petty.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?

I found the whole thing to be a little off-putting after watching it.  I thought it portrayed George as a person so wrapped up and afraid of dying that he spent his entire life preparing for it.  That's how I felt anyways.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages

I found the whole thing to be a little off-putting after watching it.  I thought it portrayed George as a person so wrapped up and afraid of dying that he spent his entire life preparing for it.  That's how I felt anyways.

There is some truth to that , right?  I think there was always some doubts about everything, I like how Clapton brought up something about George's material possessions while raising his eyebrows. 

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better

Although I enjoyed it I do recall feeling at the time that it was very long and could prove a bit of an uphill slog for someone just getting "into" or wanting to know more about George. There were some nice insightful bits for the diehard fan like me though.

A petty niggle, but I remember being irked that "Art Of Dying" never surfaced on the soundtrack, despite themes of mortality and spirituality running like a ribbon through much of the latter part of the documentary. Surely appropriate? (OK I admit it's also one of my favourite tracks from "All Things Must Pass").

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better

Just chanced upon a terrific half-hour radio documentary on George.

'BOMBAY'S BEATLE' -
'Sarfraz Manzoor goes to the site in Mumbai where George Harrison created the soundtrack to 'Wonderwall' (1968).'

The programme talks to some of the original Indian musicians George worked with.
It's repeated on BBC4 Extra at 8.30 tonight (Thursday 12th) and again at 2.30 a.m. tomorrow morning.
If you click onto the BBC site I'm sure it'll be online for a short time as well. 

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better

I think it was great. Love how it ended with the Beatles song Long, Long, Long.  It was the perfect eerie ending.  icon_good
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 58 queries.