Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: All Things Must Pass - Jams  (Read 4807 times)

BlueMeanie

All Things Must Pass - Jams
« on: November 12, 2006, 01:58:03 PM »

Just been listening to all the extra stuff on ATMP for the first time. The jams on disc 2 are awsome. George could really rock out! Shame none of these jams got to be developed at a later date. As far as I know, that is.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
Re: All Things Must Pass - Jams
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 04:52:57 PM »

Could you tell me more about All Things Must Pass - Jams? Is it a bootleg? Can you upload it if so please?
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 05:12:57 PM »

Quote from: 139
Could you tell me more about All Things Must Pass - Jams? Is it a bootleg? Can you upload it if so please?

The extra tracks on disc 2 of the remastered All Things Must Pass come under the heading 'Original Jams'

It's Johnny's Birthday
Plug Me In
I Remember Jeep
Thanks For The Pepperoni
Out Of The Blue

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 07:18:02 PM »

Silly me again. I've got that album!
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 07:57:29 PM »

Quote from: 139
Silly me again. I've got that album!

'bout time you gave it a spin then ;)

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 10:38:48 PM »

You're right. Tomorrow.  :)
All You Need Is LOVE!

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:27:15 AM »

The wikipedia article on All Things Must Pass has a direct link to this very irritating potted review.

http://wc07.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:osrj284c05na~T00

Review by Richie Unterberger

Without a doubt, Harrison's first solo recording, originally issued as a triple album, is his best. Drawing on his backlog of unused compositions from the late Beatles era, Harrison crafted material that managed the rare feat of conveying spiritual mysticism without sacrificing his gifts for melody and grand, sweeping arrangements. Enhanced by Phil Spector's lush orchestral production, and Harrison's own superb slide guitar, nearly every song is excellent: "Awaiting on You All," "Beware of Darkness," the Dylan collaboration "I'd Have You Anytime," "Isn't It a Pity," and the hit singles "My Sweet Lord" and "What Is Life" are just a few of the highlights. A very moving work, with a very significant flaw: the jams that comprise the final third of the album are entirely dispensable, and have probably only been played once or twice by most of the listeners that own this record.

Who is this plonker?  >:( He doesn't speak for me :P. I just love the jams! Did he poll people who own the record to back up this assertion? I bet not!
I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 09:14:32 AM »

Maybe you can do a Google on Richie Unterberger as well and find out who the plonker is.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:06:04 AM »

Actually, I think I've listened to them twice in 30 years. It's where the vinyl wins over the CD. With the vinyl you just wouldn't put record 3 on. Now, if you don't want to hear them you have to get up and take the CD out! Damn this technology!!

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 08:33:19 AM »

Quote from: 63
Maybe you can do a Google on Richie Unterberger as well and find out who the plonker is.
Couldn't be bothered.

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:42:59 AM »

Quote from: 1026
Couldn't be bothered.

Pity. His work includes the book The Unreleased Beatles: Music and Film which is a great read actually.

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 09:50:30 AM »

Really? Have to see if my local library's got that one. The plonker may yet redeem himself.

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 02:02:35 PM »

OK, here is one way towards perhaps gaining a better appreciation of the jams. You put ATMP on your iPod but with an altered order of tracks.

Just transfer the songs from CD1 as for the original first vinyl LP, deleting the bonus tracks. So far so good. Then CD2 is divided into four, following the four album sides from the second and third vinyl LPs, and rearranged, leaving the 6 original album sides in the following order: Side 1, Side 2, Side 3, Side 5, Side 4 & Side 6. This breaks up the unbroken group of jams at the end of CD2 which does not conform to the original album anyway, since it was necessary to turn the 3rd LP over to hear the last 2 jams.

So you go from the title track at the end of Side 3, to Side 5 starting with Its Johnny's Birthday then the jams Plug Me In & Out of the Blue, to I Dig Love at the start of Side 4. The end of Side 4 leads straight into the Side 6 jams I Remember Jeep & Thanks for the Pepperoni. The title track is my favourite song on the album and I Dig Love my least favourite, so I'm not really keen on how there is no break between them on CD2.

I find I am appreciating the unity of each of the last four vinyl sides. And its great to only hear a couple of jams at a time because it makes the differences between them more striking when you don't have to digest all four of them in quick succession.

If you've noticed that I've changed the Side 5 track order, its because I prefer Out of the Blue after Plug Me In rather than before Its Johnny's Birthday, which I think sounds great following the title track.

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 06:24:52 PM »

Quote from: 1026
Who is this plonker?  >:( He doesn't speak for me :P. I just love the jams! Did he poll people who own the record to back up this assertion? I bet not!

Ha, ha. There are many terrible reviewers in AllMusic. You have to read the ones from Stephen Thomas Erlewine. He's fantastic, and always gives really good ratings to the Beatles and ex-Beatles albums.

:)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 65 queries.