Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33

Author Topic: Bob Dylan!  (Read 128195 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Bob Dylan!
« Reply #360 on: November 05, 2013, 06:15:08 PM »

Stopping at a certain point in an artist's discography (especially with the ones I like so much) is, to me, like leaving a book unfinished. Once you've embraced on the journey, there's no turning back.

I agree with the spirit of your sentence but not with the letter. Most artists have a classic period that defined them, their "must have" albums, and they also have their "just sold because of the name" albums. Of course that if you really like/love an artist you'll be interested in exploring the non-classic records, but at least in my case there's a point when I see the quality/sound/spirit of the beloved music kept far away in the past, then I'm no longer interested in new stuff by that artist. That happens to me with the Rolling Stones, for example, I don't like almost anything I've heard from them after 1972. Or Paul McCartney, I don't even care when he records a new album now. I've a selective spirit more than a completist mind, but I always try to get any record that deserves my attention. I believe that the art is more important than the artist.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:17:05 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #361 on: November 05, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »

I agree with the spirit of your sentence but not with the letter. Most artists have a classic period that defined them, their "must have" albums, and they also have their "just sold because of the name" albums. Of course that if you really like/love an artist you'll be interested in exploring the non-classic records, but at least in my case there's a point when I see the quality/sound/spirit of the beloved music kept far away in the past, then I'm no longer interested in new stuff by that artist. That happens to me with the Rolling Stones, for example, I don't like almost anything I've heard from them after 1972. Or Paul McCartney, I don't even care when he records a new album now. I've a selective spirit more than a completist mind, but I always try to get any record that deserves my attention. I believe that the art is more important than the artist.

I get what you're saying and I wish I'd be the same. There's so many great albums out there that I could be listening to, instead of wasting my time with sh*t like Mike Love's "we’ll be california dreamin', bay watchin' everyday*"-version of the Beach Boys or Kinks' post-'76 lame attempts at cocky stadium rock. But it's just the way I am. I need to hear them, can't leave the book unfinished.

*no, I didn't make that lyric up.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:32:17 PM by Ovi »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

KelMar

« Reply #362 on: November 05, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »

Ah, the famous country album (it's called Nashville Skyline btw  :)).

Oops! My mind knew that but my fingers forgot! It is an interesting album, especially that duet with Johnny Cash.

That happens to me with the Rolling Stones, for example, I don't like almost anything I've heard from them after 1972.

I tend to agree with you on that, Andrés. I'd have to look at their discography before I could say that definitively but I know for sure that I love their early offerings. I also am not real well versed on Paul's solo material, other than the obvious hits. I was pretty young when Band on the Run came out but I did have that and loved it and my brother got me London Town for my birthday but I kind of lost interest when Paul teamed up with his friend Michael Jackson! I guess I kept myself pretty well occupied learning about the Beatles and other 60's music.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #363 on: November 05, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »

About Bob Dylan, although I'm not a huge fan, I've always liked him and listened to his music; but lately I seriously started to listen to his classic albums more carefully. My favorite record is The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, I think it contains his absolutely best songwriting; those songs are so good that only his voice, an acoustic guitar and an occasional harmonica are enough to shine. Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited complete his Holy Trinity in my opinion. Blonde On Blonde is great, but I'd put it on a second level. John Wesley Harding is an album I really enjoy listening to. Another Side Of Bob Dylan is an amazing songwriting effort. Nashville Skyline gets the best of country music. The Times They Are A-Changin' is minor in quality but still substancial. And New Morning is usually an over-looked album, I really like that record too.

I still need to listen more carefully to other of his classic albums like Blood On The Tracks and Desire, but for the moment they didn't get to touch me like his previous stuff.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #364 on: November 05, 2013, 06:47:12 PM »

I get what you're saying and I wish I'd be the same. There's so many great albums out there that I could be listening to, instead of wasting my time with sh*t like Mike Love's "we’ll be california dreamin', bay watchin' everyday*"-version of the Beach Boys or Kinks' post-'76 lame attempts at cocky stadium rock. But it's just the way I am. I need to hear them, can't leave the book unfinished.

*no, I didn't make that lyric up.

I just don't consider that stuff as part of the book. Apocryphal records by the same artist. :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:49:31 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #365 on: November 05, 2013, 06:59:30 PM »

I guess I kept myself pretty well occupied learning about the Beatles and other 60's music.

Yes, I think the same. I've always thought that if the music is what really matters, a Beatles fan should be much more interested in the musical context of the Fab Four than in a new Paul's album released in 2013. Not that other bands could make the same music than the Beatles, but they showed a parallelism in terms of revolutionizing rock music.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #366 on: November 05, 2013, 07:08:01 PM »

About Bob Dylan, although I'm not a huge fan, I've always liked him and listened to his music; but lately I seriously started to listen to his classic albums more carefully. My favorite record is The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, I think it contains his absolutely best songwriting; those songs are so good that only his voice, an acoustic guitar and an occasional harmonica are enough to shine. Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited complete his Holy Trinity in my opinion. Blonde On Blonde is great, but I'd put it on a second level. John Wesley Harding is an album I really enjoy listening to. Another Side Of Bob Dylan is an amazing songwriting effort. Nashville Skyline gets the best of country music. The Times They Are A-Changin' is minor in quality but still substancial. And New Morning is usually an over-looked album, I really like that record too.

I still need to listen more carefully to other of his classic albums like Blood On The Tracks and Desire, but for the moment they didn't get to touch me like his previous stuff.

Nice post, Hombre! Didn't know you listened to so much of his stuff.

'Blood on The Tracks' and 'Desire' are both a bit overrated, in my opinion. The best songs on the former are as good as anything he's ever done (Tangled Up In Blue, Idiot Wind, If You See Her Say Hello), but some others just don't do it for me (Lily, Rosemary and The Jack of Hearts being the most obvious example - what an yawnfest). I like 'Desire' more because it's more varied musically; it offers a wider palette of moods. What I don't like though, are some of the lyrics written by Jacques Levy (particularly Isis, Hurricane and Joey, though I love all 3 musically).

Should we start a microscope series for Dylan's 60's records?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:11:30 PM by Ovi »

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #367 on: November 05, 2013, 07:10:44 PM »

Oops! My mind knew that but my fingers forgot! It is an interesting album, especially that duet with Johnny Cash.

I love the duet. Kinda sloppy, but very passionate.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #368 on: November 05, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »

Nice post, Hombre! Didn't know you listened to so much of his stuff.

I had spent a good time only listening to his classic songs from a long compilation, until I decided to listen to his true albums. And I certainly wasn't disappointed.

'Blood on The Tracks' and 'Desire' are both a bit overrated, in my opinion. The best songs on the former are as good as anything he's ever done (Tangled Up In Blue, Idiot Wind, If You See Her Say Hello), but some others just don't do it for me (Lily, Rosemary and The Jack of Hearts being the most obvious example - what an yawnfest). I like 'Desire' more because it's more varied musically; it offers a wider palette of moods. What I don't like though, are some of the lyrics written by Jacques Levy (particularly Isis, Hurricane and Joey, though I love all 3 musically).

I guess that at first listen they didn't impressed me as much as the previous albums, perhaps because they sounded more predictable to me. You seem to feel the same more or less.

What can you tell me about Dylan's debut? I still didn't listen to that record, but I know it has lots of covers.

Should we start a microscope series for Dylan's 60's records?

That's a great idea and if you want to do those microscopes I'll contribute until the point I could.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #369 on: November 05, 2013, 08:58:04 PM »

What can you tell me about Dylan's debut? I still didn't listen to that record, but I know it has lots of covers.

Unfortunately, I've yet to hear that one.

That's a great idea and if you want to do those microscopes I'll contribute until the point I could.

Cool. I'll give it a go as soon as I have some more spare time.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #370 on: November 05, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »

Unfortunately, I've yet to hear that one.

Cool. I'll give it a go as soon as I have some more spare time.

That would be great, and I think it would be ok if you start with The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, if we want to make focus on the master's songwriting. It's in your hands.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #371 on: November 06, 2013, 03:28:02 AM »

Right, the album is mostly covers.  The two original songs credited to Bob Dylan are Talkin' New York which, as you see, is based on the tune of Woody Guthrie's Talkin' Dust Bowl Blues.  The other is Song To Woody, the tune of which is based on Woody Guthries's 1913 Massacre.

That would be great, and I think it would be ok if you start with The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, if we want to make focus on the master's songwriting. It's in your hands.

It's a good idea to start with his eponymous debut album Bob Dylan.  The album, even though it didn't sell well in 1962, is still noteworthy for Bob Dylan's early style which is carried over to The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #372 on: November 06, 2013, 03:52:29 AM »

Ah!  Nashville Skyline.  His Country phase.

Bob Dylan paid homage to Eric Von Schmidt on the cover of his album...

Did anyone spot the "clue" on the cover of Bringing It All Back Home?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #373 on: November 06, 2013, 04:01:42 AM »

Bob Dylan - Lay Lady Lay

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #374 on: November 06, 2013, 04:09:31 AM »

But back to Eric Von Schmidt for a moment.  He was influential in the development of Bob Dylan's early style...

Eric Von Schmidt Down On Me

Looks like he influenced Big Brother And The Holding Company too...

Big Brother & The Holding Company - Big Brother & The Holding Company - 08 - Down On Me

KelMar

« Reply #375 on: November 06, 2013, 04:21:13 AM »

I love that picture on the cover of Nashville Skyline. It's the embodiment of the lyrics and attitude I like best from him.

Did anyone spot the "clue" on the cover of Bringing It All Back Home?

I'm not sure what mystery the clue we're looking for relates to. Does it pertain to his reclusive period following his motorcycle accident?

But back to Eric Von Schmidt for a moment.  He was influential in the development of Bob Dylan's early style...

I was hoping you'd expand on him. Looks like learning about Dylan is also learning about Woody and Eric and ??

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #376 on: November 06, 2013, 04:26:45 AM »

I'm not sure what mystery the clue we're looking for relates to. Does it pertain to his reclusive period following his motorcycle accident?

The Folk Blues Of Eric Von Schmidt LP is next to Bob Dylan on the cover of Bringing It All Back Home...

KelMar

« Reply #377 on: November 06, 2013, 04:38:35 AM »

The Folk Blues Of Eric Von Schmidt LP is next to Bob Dylan on the cover of Bringing It All Back Home...

So he's letting everyone know who influenced him and that he was spending his time recovering and reflecting and where he's been?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #378 on: November 06, 2013, 04:43:50 AM »

His motorcycle accident was more than a year later, in July 1966.

KelMar

« Reply #379 on: November 06, 2013, 04:46:20 AM »

His motorcycle accident was more than a year later, in July 1966.

Well, then scratch that part. I think this is too hard for Dylan 101, which is where I'm at.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33

Page created in 1.645 seconds with 80 queries.