Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Living In The Material World  (Read 4089 times)

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
Living In The Material World
« on: November 07, 2005, 02:18:20 AM »

Who here likes this album, I've been getting more into George's solo career and was thinking of getting this, is it a good buy? I've heard none of the songs from it, so I was just wondering what everyone thinks of it before I go out and get it.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Living In The Material World
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 04:47:37 AM »

Its a great album. I love the title track along with 'Sue Me, Sue You Blues', 'Don't Let Me Wait Too Long', and 'Who Can See It'. Its definatley one of Georges better albums. My only complaint is the production of the album. I'm not sure if its been remastered yet, but it could use a layer of sludge removed if you know what i'm saying.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 11:59:31 AM »

Really good one. My favs are: Who Can See It, Living In The Material World, Be Here Now, Try Some Buy Some and specially That Is All. The Production is weird,... is the way Extra Texture will be 2 years later.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 05:28:47 PM »

I wonder if they're planning on remastering this one

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 12:40:58 PM »

yahoo...........yeah buy it it is one of his best...

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 02:11:14 PM »

So you (ma_tt2) bought it and you like it, of course, it's one of his 3 or 4 best albums.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 11:43:46 PM »

gave it a good listening to today and I really enjoyed it. So many good songs on it

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 01:52:59 AM »

Here's a review/update on LITMW. You have to get to the last sentence before they mention a possible overhaul next year. I'll wait.

Living in the Material World
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search
Living in the Material World

Living in the Material World is an album by George Harrison and was released in 1973. As a follow-up to 1970's greatly-received All Things Must Pass and his mammoth charity project The Concert For Bangla Desh, Living in the Material World was among the most highly anticipated releases of 1973.

Due to the enormity of the Bangla Desh experience (one that left Harrison exhausted and frustrated), he was not able to record a new album until the latter part of 1972, which he undertook alone - without Phil Spector - at The Beatles' Apple Recording Studios in London. Once again, Harrison engaged the aid of his musician friends, including Ringo Starr, Jim Keltner, Nicky Hopkins, Gary Wright and Klaus Voormann. "Try Some Buy Some"'s backing track had been recorded with Phil Spector back in 1971 in Harrison's efforts to give Ronnie Spector a hit single. Liking the track, he decided to use the same music track for his own rendition.

Preceeded by the uplifting acoustic number "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)" - Harrison's second US #1 hit, Living in the Material World appeared in June 1973 to brisk initial sales, reaching #2 in the UK and spending five weeks atop the US charts (having knocked off Paul McCartney & Wings' Red Rose Speedway in the process). But the critical reaction was less euphoric than what had greeted All Things Must Pass. More somber in tone, Living in the Material World was distinguished by Harrison's philosophical and religious ruminations - making it clear he was in distress with the state of the world and where it was headed. Subsequently, sales soon fell off, and the feeling was that Harrison had suddenly lost much of the enormous momentum he had going for him since The Beatles' 1970 break-up. In hindsight, most contemporary reviewers now consider Living in the Material World to be a very worthwhile Harrison album with many fine moments.

In 1992, Living in the Material World was remastered for CD release, though it will likely see an upgrading sometime in 2006.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 06:59:48 AM »

I'll probably but it again, they always do an amazing job at remastering George's albums. Take a look at Concert for Bangladesh that was just released it is beautiful. Same with the ATMP remaster.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 12:03:04 AM »

And the Dark Horse catalogue. I think it's good that George chose to remaster his albums, not remixing them.

awc1967

• A Beginning
  • arrive without travelling
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 10:03:17 PM »

This album has always been one of my favorites, mainly because it puts things in perspective for me.
no matter how hard life gets, it is nothing compared with all the billions of stars in the sky or the grains of sands upon the beaches.
we all have our spiritual feelings inside, so I won't go there , but to me this album shows how George connects spiritualism with love.   there is nothing far greater than inner peace, nothing in this world will ever satisfy you as the feeling of peace inside, in other words"The Inner light".
 ;)

Living in the Material World is an album by George Harrison and was released in 1973. As a follow-up to 1970's greatly-received All Things Must Pass and his mammoth charity project, The Concert for Bangladesh, Living in the Material World was among the most highly anticipated releases of 1973.
Due to the enormity of the Bangla Desh experience (one that left Harrison exhausted and frustrated), he was not able to record a new album until the latter part of 1972, which he undertook alone
I've got a feeling,I think that everybody knows

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 01:10:26 PM »

So awc1967, what are your thoughts on this album? Would you care to share your favorite songs, and why you like them? Where would you put this album in the Harrison library: first tier, middle, lower third?

For myself, I adore the fantastic heights reached musically and spiritually (there's really no other word for it) by "Who Can See It" and "That Is All". My next favorite is "Try Some Buy Some" -- really interesting arrangement, quirky, perky, and though provoking.

The album is a good mix of upbeat tunes with absolutely beautiful yearning tunes, but it is overall more somber in subject and tone than most of George's other albums, so I tend only to play it when I'm in that mood. But nobody does rapture like George. His songs can elevate my mind and spirit. The reissue is a lovely piece of work in both packaging and content. It's in my personal top tier of favorites.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »

Quote from: 551
The reissue is a lovely piece of work in both packaging and content. It's in my personal top tier of favorites.

I like the remastering job; the old CD had a muffled sound that made it like it had been recorded by some guy with a mike under a bed. Overuse of a noise reduction program on a second generation or worse master tape, I suspect. But the new CD is wonderful and has become my third favorite George album, after ATMP and 33 & 1/3. :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 11:55:01 PM »

It's my favourite George album. Lovely piece of work.

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 02:33:42 AM »

Is his music mostly influenced by Indian music? or is some of it good old rock n roll?? I was never as into the Indian music as he seemed to be, so I always avoided his solo stuff, I liked his songs with the beatles.
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 03:36:06 AM »

He doesn't typically play Indian instruments in his solo songs, if that's what you're asking, Sgt. Pepper 45822. His Indian experimental music was mostly in the Beatles timeframe. He plays Western instruments in regular style, but he was certainly influenced by Indian music, and that might come out in some of his time signatures or microtones in his slide-guitar playing (say those who know).

Mostly he just writes songs and sings, same as anybody. :)

Wait-wait-- I'm sure there must be some Indian stuff on Dark Horse or Extra Texture. Well, you'll be able to spot it. If the title is "Jai Sri Krishna" it's probably got some Indian sounds on it. But I think George probably writes as much Indian stuff as Paul does Broadway tunes-- he'll dabble, but it isn't his main focus.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 04:39:44 AM »

ha ha good to know. Thanks!
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 05:24:56 AM »

I think George's interest in Indian music and culture helped take the Beatles to the next level. Although I believe it all but destroyed his ability to put together a decent outfit.  ;D

Anyway, I don't think it should be a deterrent from getting into his solo music. It was a small part of his repertoire really. Even with the Beatles.

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 02:18:23 AM »

I still have to buy this one. Someday I will. I want the CD+DVD edition...
ATMP is amazing. I guess Living in the Material World was a great follow-up project.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 04:03:38 AM »

Quote from: 713
I still have to buy this one. Someday I will. I want the CD+DVD edition...
ATMP is amazing. I guess Living in the Material World was a great follow-up project.
he met john and paul in the material world but where did he meet ringo?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 84 queries.