Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Hard Day's Night  (Read 6400 times)

Wayne L.

A Hard Day's Night
« on: March 03, 2005, 11:03:38 PM »

A Hard Day's Night defines the Beatles of the early 60's just as much as their first Ed Sullivan appearance & Shea Stadium in fact even more so.  This classic rock movie is a gem for its time capturing John, Paul, George & Ringo at the height of Beatlemania with their haircuts, their attitude & their music in full force.  I saw AHDN for the first time way back in 76 when I was 12 years old which knocked me out as a Beatles fan. I think if it would have been made in color instead of black & white the magic of the early 60's would have been lost personally speaking.  A Hard Day's Night is a solid rock & roll movie which is timeless with the Beatles proving why they are legends before it was true.  
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Ivo

• A Beginning
Re: A Hard Day's Night
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 08:17:42 AM »

Nope...can't find one thing about your post I disagree with.  Let's just be thankful Ted Turner didn't get his hands on this while he was going colorization crazy with old movies in the 80's.
I'm off like a herd of turtles.

JimColyer

• A Beginning
  • I wrote Save The Planet.
    • Jim Colyer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 10:23:58 PM »

I agree too.  A Hard Day's Night is a classic by any standard.  Help! lost something by being in color.  The James Bond parody is silly.  The one constant about The Beatles is that they made great records from start to finish.  The Let It Be film is out of print which surprised me.  It shows the group breaking down, but anything about The Beatles is interesting.
http://jimcolyer.com/papers/entry?id=61

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 11:07:53 PM »

Great movie. Brilliant dialogue.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »

I just saw it today for the first time (It's my birthday). I don't think it's as good as Help! or Yellow Submarine. I love how Beatles films are always so random though.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 08:14:12 PM »

lol...well this is the onli beatles film ive seen(which i saw at abbey road!), and think its gtreat, i agree it is random though

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 02:06:16 AM »

I think AHDN is far superior to Help! Wilfred Bramble as Paul's grandfather is the glue which holds the movie together, and it's very funny how John intimidates the "manager", who nervously addresses him as "Lennon" in a futile attempt to maintain authority. In Help! Leo McKern, a fine actor, is woefully miscast in a role which is just annoying.
I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 11:21:19 AM »

Help! is really quite a poor film. Some of the actors are woefully miscast, and there is too much actual acting for The Beatles to do. I like it because it's The Beatles. If this had been a movie starring anyone else, it would have got a right pasting.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 03:50:54 PM »

Quote from: 483
If this had been a movie starring anyone else, it would have got a right pasting.

Of course it would, but it wasn't. It's good silly fun, can't we love that, too?

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 04:51:24 PM »

I'm solidly on the Silly Fun bandwidth, Klang! *gives you your ring back*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 12:51:53 PM »

:K)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Paul Doherty

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 02:11:31 PM »

A Hard Days Night is my favourite movie of all time....i find myself sticking it on when im down and it lifts me right out of it.John cracks me up every time.The bit when he pretends he's  aprisoner is priceless! ;D

As for Help,i have less time for it,but still like it. I think Colour made it less boring than what it would have been without.I reckon the movies lack of greatness was due to the lads being stoned most of the way through it. ;D

Thank god Pauline Fowler never made it into the Help Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 12:45:29 AM »

A Hard Day's Night is my favorite Beatle movie.  Help! was good also, but not nearly as good as AHDN in my opinion.  
<br />

fan numero uno

• A Thousand Pages
  • they love me, they love me a lot. they love me....
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 12:01:24 AM »

i love both of the movies, but i personally like Help! more. this may have something to do with the fact that i watched AHDN first, so i was still trying to figure out who everyone was. i had it pretty much figured it out by the time i watched Help!, which is a relief. also, i like the color in help! it looks great without it in AHDN, but in help! it just belonged. Peace out, ya'll! ;)
Love the Beatles, and all shall be right.                avatar created by freakchic

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 03:15:14 PM »

Quote from: 843

It's good silly fun, can't we love that, too?

:)

Any movie which can come up with a contraption like the Relativity Cadenza is OK by me!

"Bad machine...bad!"
I can stay till it's time to go

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »

I do have quite an affection for help.
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

digna

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 06:46:09 PM »

I don't know if I must ask it here, but can anybody explain the joke that Ringo is reading the Queen?
I've watched it recently, it's from the library. Till so far it's the only beatle movie I've seen. But I like it!!!

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 12:41:16 AM »

I just popped it on again this weekend.  Still my favorite  :)

I was wondering the same thing Digna.  I was thinking they were making fun of him because mybe upper class people read it? I could be totally off on this just making a guess here.
<br />

digna

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »

Quote from: 1204
I just popped it on again this weekend.  Still my favorite  :)

I was wondering the same thing Digna.  I was thinking they were making fun of him because mybe upper class people read it? I could be totally off on this just making a guess here.
I really have no idea what that means...
And I have also no idea of the Queen (what sort of magazine is that anyway???) :o

BlueMeanie

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 02:14:01 PM »

Quote from: 1232
I don't know if I must ask it here, but can anybody explain the joke that Ringo is reading the Queen?
I've watched it recently, it's from the library. Till so far it's the only beatle movie I've seen. But I like it!!!

Queen is/was a magazine for the well off 'upper classes'. So it could be a reference to the class divide between them and someone who comes from a 'working class' background. Also Grandad had earlier mentioned 'sissies' and 'powdered gewgaws', meaning gay men. The word 'Queen' is a popular way to describe gay men in Briton.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 87 queries.