Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: why is george labeled the quiet one ?  (Read 16963 times)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
Re: why is george labeled the quiet one ?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 06:33:33 PM »

In August 1964 I did a series of four colour covers for Mersey Beat, each one of a solo Beatle. I had to give each one a name in the headline above the photo. When I came to John I thought: 'John Lennon: Literary Beatle.' With Paul it was 'Paul McCartney: Songwriter; for Ringo I put: 'Loveable Beatle: Ringo Starr.' Considering what to call George I put 'George Harrison: Quiet Beatle.' It's such a long time ago now that I don't know whether this was the first mention of him as the quiet Beatle. Does anyone know of an earlier time when he was called this in print?

Bobber

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 07:11:39 PM »

But WHY did you call him the Quiet Beatle then, Bill?

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »

as i originally posted in all the interviews around the time he was being labeled the quiet one, he always seemed to speak more than he would in the later years.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »

Because I kept meeting George on so many occasions and he just seemed reluctant to be involved in the songwriting activities or the interviews. You only had to see his comments re school to know that he had strong opinions, but always seemed reluctant to voice them. I kept meeting him in clubs at night and asked why he wasn't writing songs. I pointed out that the first mention of any original Beatles song was one he'd written called 'Cry For a Shadow', which was mentioned on the front cover of issue No. 2 of Mersey Beat.
I asked him why he wasn't writing again, why all the original numbers were just Lennon & McCartney numbers. I asked him if he'd write a number with Ringo and he later told me he did. But God knows what it was or what happened to it. I saw him coming out of the Cabin club in Wood Street and took him back to the Mersey Beat office around the corner and gave him a Kingsize Taylor album, under the name 'The Shakers', which they'd sent me from Hamburg and I quizzed him again about him writing songs. Then, when I was with them at the ABC, Blackpool, George thanked me. I asked him what for. He said he was going out to the clubs one night and thought he'd bump into me and I'd be hustling him about writing a song again, so he thought of the title 'Don't Bother Me' and decided to write a song with that name. He told me he'd already received over seven thousand pounds in royalties.
As for the name, when I was thinking of what to call George it just struck me that he was the quietest member as he wasn't as vocal as John, Paul or even Ringo. But as far as I'm concernedc, he had a unique and bizarre sense of humour, and if you want to know about it, I'll tell you.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 08:41:57 PM »

I love this anecdote describing George's choice of first song-- 'Don't Bother Me'  ;D

Bill, I'd adore hearing about his unique and bizarre sense of humour.

*sits down to listen*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 11:23:52 PM »

meet too :) *sits down to listen also*

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 11:58:46 PM »

Well I'm definetly in Bill. ;)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 12:06:19 AM »

Count me in Bill :)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 10:04:50 AM »

George did have that dry

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 01:46:25 PM »

What's a baggy sweeger!?!?  ;D  ;D ;D

Thank you, Bill, this was adorable. I will never think of lungs the same way again. *slides down the couch along with the dog with no legs... I think I know that dog...*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 11:31:53 PM »

Love all the comments and different points of view!  
I always thought, as stated before, that George probably just didn't talk quite as much as the others, but didn't have to.  He had that attitude (not a bad thing) and look that just screams "cool". And when he did talk and didn't say a whole lot, what little he did say was enough in itself.

Im new to the board btw, and happy to be here!
<br />

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 02:04:52 AM »

Hello, HeatherBoo! Welcome to the Forums. :)

fan numero uno

• A Thousand Pages
  • they love me, they love me a lot. they love me....
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 12:18:53 AM »

my dad says its not that George is really quiet and serious, its just that he has a darker sense of humor. " like me" he said. i'm not sure if i totally agree, because George was funny and witty, but i havent really seen that dark side he was talking about yet. if anyone understands what he meant by that, could you elaborate?
Love the Beatles, and all shall be right.                avatar created by freakchic

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 04:05:29 AM »

Quote from: 185
It gets worse. Seems Here Comes The Sun is really a McQuinn/Clapton/Harrison composition:
"The song had its genesis with a songwriting collaboration between Harrison and close friend Eric Clapton called "Badge," recorded by Clapton's group Cream, and featuring an arpeggiated guitar riff that is similar to the one that forms the bridge of "Here Comes the Sun."
Harrison capoed his guitar on the 7th fret, resulting the final key of A major. He also used the same technique on his 1965 song "If I Needed Someone," which shares a similar melodic pattern."

Are you mixing things up here?

Specifically, because George played that arpeggiated riff on both songs are you saying that therefore he didn't write it? I always thought it was George, and he just used it in two different songs. Is there something to the contrary that you are referring to?

Moving beyond that, excepting the riff (George's, right?), I don't recall much if any similarity between the two songs, do you? If not, why would "Here Comes the Sun" be a McGuinn/Clapton/Harrison composition?

I'm not completely gaga about George, but I think this is going a bit too far. But, if I'm wrong about this, please correct me!

Thanks!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 02:30:05 AM »

Thanks, Alexis. Nice point.

Paul and John also on occasion used similar riffs/elements/chord progressions etc. from song to song. I think most songwriters do. But you can't plagiarize yourself!

Eric Clapton writes in his autobiography about watching George write HCTS in his garden, how cool it was watching him tweak and fashion it. He doesn't mention any contributions that he made, just his enjoyment at watching George work.

Oh Pineapple

• Getting Better
  • in the middle of the roundabout
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »

TWO NAMES: John & Paul
There wasn't much hope for George or Ringo under John & Paul.
Lets face it, John & Paul got most of the attention half the time.
The only way for Georgie to prove himself, was through his music.
Which was limited to two or three, if not that, songs on each LP or album.
Same thing with Ringo.
But I do believe he got less than George, because he was the drummer.
"..Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, they slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe. Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind.."

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 08:33:16 PM »

I think maybe because George seems to be more of a sit back and listen more than a talker like Paul. Maybe George just feels he doesn't have to justify himself to others.

Oh Pineapple

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »

Yes that to of course, but it also deals a lot with the public's eye always on John & Paul.
If you watch most of their earlier interviews, maybe even later ones, most of the questions are directed to John & Paul.
I mean, when you think about it, it makes sense.
John always had something to say. (Good or bad hah)
And Paul was basically the hottie in the group, everybody wanted to hear him talk.
"..Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, they slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe. Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind.."

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 08:54:52 PM »

when I think about it it's always been like that.

I mean on American Idol they call it the "Lennon/ McCartney" songbook. they DID write the majority of the songs but why not call it the Beatles songbook?

Oh Pineapple

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »

Exactly, my point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 86 queries.