Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 527

Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 639835 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #9440 on: March 28, 2015, 04:44:51 PM »

The break with the past in 1964 does seem more complete than subsequent big changes. The charts were suddenly full of inanely grinning beat combos. But I think that if you looked at the singles charts you'd never detect the other great upheavals such as punk, dance and hip hop. Maybe because in 64 everyone buying pop singles were of the same age but later there were enough mums and dads and older brothers and sisters buying records to keep the charts occupied by Shaking Sevens and Racey. rock had splintered and had so many different audiences that 1964 just couldn't happen again
don't follow leaders

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #9441 on: March 29, 2015, 02:27:00 AM »

Jerry Lee Lewis 'Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On' Steve Allen Show 1957 Extended

Jerry Lee and Dennis Quaid really did a great job recreating Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On thirty-two years later...

Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (Jerry Lee Lewis) From the Movie "Great Balls of Fire" (1989)

Thank you Dick Clark, Steve Allen and Perry Como for your courage in the 1950s...

Carl Perkins - Blue Suede Shoes - Perry Como Show -1956
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #9442 on: April 01, 2015, 05:20:49 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #9443 on: April 06, 2015, 09:06:33 PM »

Miss
Patrice Munsel...

That is all.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9444 on: April 10, 2015, 09:58:49 PM »

Just saw a t-shirt in a catalog that reads "When I Was a Kid, We Didn't Have Bottled Water — We Had a Garden Hose"

Fond childhood memories  :)

KelMar

« Reply #9445 on: April 11, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »

Just saw a t-shirt in a catalog that reads "When I Was a Kid, We Didn't Have Bottled Water — We Had a Garden Hose"

Fond childhood memories  :)

I don't think I ever drank out of the garden hose. I did, however, try to eat frost off the inside of the deep freeze in the garage. I thought it was like the slushes we got at the Tastee Freeze.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #9446 on: April 11, 2015, 06:26:41 PM »

Football.

It's April 11.....if you'd predicted the Premier League table as it now stands, clubs 1 to 20 in order, on the first day of the season back in August, the bookies would have given you minimal odds.

It's April 11.....if you can predict the top 8 of the league below, or indeed any league going down to clubs playing on the edge of hills with cows roaming the out-field, you're a genius.

And yet all the interest is in the predictable.
Funny, isn't it.

KelMar

« Reply #9447 on: April 25, 2015, 03:00:57 AM »

I should never use my phone to type more than a few words at a time. My friend and I are going on a trip in a few weeks. I wanted to ask her if she'd mind being the driver. So predictive text sends "Would you miss me being the driver?" Then when I tried to fix it the dumb thing said "Would you make me a nematode?" No lie!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9448 on: April 25, 2015, 03:11:28 PM »

I should never use my phone to type more than a few words at a time. My friend and I are going on a trip in a few weeks. I wanted to ask her if she'd mind being the driver. So predictive text sends "Would you miss me being the driver?" Then when I tried to fix it the dumb thing said "Would you make me a nematode?" No lie!

ha2ha  I actually did laugh out loud at that, Kelley! The first thing I do when I get a new phone is turn off all the auto-correct functions -- it's just about the only thing I can do quickly on my device.

P.S. Hope you and your friend have a good trip!

KelMar

« Reply #9449 on: April 25, 2015, 05:17:28 PM »

ha2ha  I actually did laugh out loud at that, Kelley! The first thing I do when I get a new phone is turn off all the auto-correct functions -- it's just about the only thing I can do quickly on my device.

I did too when it happened! The only reason I have this function on is that it makes writing my grocery lists really simple. But for any extended writing it's a pain. I don't feel like using it for every word when I'm trying to convey a thought but it gets angry if I ignore it!

P.S. Hope you and your friend have a good trip!

Thanks! It will be six hours of traveling to see a folk singer whose name I can't even remember off the top of my head! But my friend really likes her so I figured I'd ignore that whiny homebody voice that never wants to go anywhere! It will be great to spend time with my friend. She's one of those rare people I have left who has known me my whole life...and still can stand me! LOL

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9450 on: April 26, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »

Then when I tried to fix it the dumb thing said "Would you make me a nematode?" No lie!

I've been thinking....that's actually a pretty sophisticated word for an autocorrect/spell program! I had to Google nematode

It will be great to spend time with my friend. She's one of those rare people I have left who has known me my whole life...and still can stand me! LOL

I know what you mean. My daughters often jokingly threaten to embarrass me in front of my close friends here (in retaliation for all the times I have gleefully fulfilled my parental duty of embarrassing them, LOL). I told them there is absolutely nothing they could tell my friends that they don't already know about me.  ;D

KelMar

« Reply #9451 on: April 26, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »

I've been thinking....that's actually a pretty sophisticated word for an autocorrect/spell program! I had to Google nematode

Yeah, I don't know why it came up with that. It "learns" words that I've already used but I certainly have never put that one on my grocery list!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9452 on: June 10, 2015, 10:34:42 PM »

Yeah, I don't know why it came up with that. It "learns" words that I've already used but I certainly have never put that one on my grocery list!

Kelley, I've been meaning to come back to this thread and share that my ex sent me a text that he'd clearly typed too quickly because his auto-correct subbed the word coitus for could.   ha2ha  Then I got thinking, "Hey, didn't Kelley mentions that auto-correct 'learns' words that you use?" Maybe he's a Big Bang Theory fan, too.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #9453 on: June 10, 2015, 11:54:04 PM »

The break with the past in 1964 does seem more complete than subsequent big changes. The charts were suddenly full of inanely grinning beat combos. But I think that if you looked at the singles charts you'd never detect the other great upheavals such as punk, dance and hip hop. Maybe because in 64 everyone buying pop singles were of the same age but later there were enough mums and dads and older brothers and sisters buying records to keep the charts occupied by Shaking Sevens and Racey. rock had splintered and had so many different audiences that 1964 just couldn't happen again

That's interesting looking at the recent study on changes in popular music. This study looked at chord progressions, rhythms, sonic qualities etc. The study concluded that while the early sixties was a big change, the biggest revolution was the hip hop and rap era.

The thing is, according to the methodology, they took their sample from the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 charts. Now to me that only represents a windows on popular music. Beatles, stones, the who etc suddenly appearing on the charts all would have shown breaks and developments from the past but their antecedents would have been more obvious ( Holly to Beatles and Berry to Stones isn't that much of a stretch for instance musically)  The change would have been more of one in degree rather than a fundamental shift. 

Now if hip hop and rap start appearing on the charts in the 90s that's clearly going to look a bigger break musically with Flock of Seagulls and Duran Duran. But rap and hip hop themselves grew out of earlier musical styles. It's just that these didn't appear in the Top 100. The evolution wasn't so much in the music then in the shift in tastes which saw this style become a large seller. Rap had been around since at least the 70s

And punk etc would barely be a blip in the late 70 s as it didn't tend to figure much on the singles charts. And progressive rock, being an album based form, also wouldn't have been noticed at all.

The methodology seemed to throw up other curious results, such as what they claim was the disappearance of the dominant 7th chord from pop from the early 60s. The Beatles were big exponents of this chord. Perhaps only analysing 30 second snippets of top 100 songs, which is what they did, simply missed this type of thing.

Still. Interesting study.

http://time.com/3849844/music-hip-hop-revolution-pop-billboard-hot-100/

Full study here for those with time

http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/2/5/150081

I should add that the authors acknowledge the limitations of their sample etc. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:01:33 AM by Moogmodule »

KelMar

« Reply #9454 on: June 12, 2015, 03:31:04 AM »

Kelley, I've been meaning to come back to this thread and share that my ex sent me a text that he'd clearly typed too quickly because his auto-correct subbed the word coitus for could.   ha2ha  Then I got thinking, "Hey, didn't Kelley mentions that auto-correct 'learns' words that you use?" Maybe he's a Big Bang Theory fan, too.

Maybe his auto-correct is named Sheldon! I'm still trying to figure out the word "deities" was supposed to be on my grocery list last week. Must not have been anything I really needed!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #9455 on: June 12, 2015, 07:58:21 AM »

Alas, the 'big change' hippity hop and rap brought on was a record industry which is best when completely ignored, rather than the all-encompassing one of the 50s and 60s. A style of music which is either cloying sentimental or racist/homophobic/sexist with dire clothes, graphic design etc. to go with it.

As soon as 'a study says' something about pop music run for the hills.....it will always be garbage.
Which reminds me, we can't be far away from a 'they're bigger than The Beatles' story.
They occur every couple of years and you know they are always rubbish because two years later when the next one appears, the reference point is still always The Beatles.....not the thing that was bigger than The Beatles two years before!!!!!!!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9456 on: June 20, 2015, 10:58:50 PM »

I just consumed a huge Haddock Plate with fries and coleslaw and a nice cold beer to wash it down!
I think I'll go out now for a strawberry sundae and a doggie sundae of course!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9457 on: June 21, 2015, 03:03:02 PM »

^^^^^

Yum! My mouth is watering. I'd pick a hot fudge sundae, though.  ;D

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9458 on: June 21, 2015, 05:04:33 PM »

The guy in front of me got a hot fudge sunday and for a fleeting moment thought I made a mistake but... I didn't!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #9459 on: June 21, 2015, 08:26:33 PM »

Every day above ground, is a good day for me!   ;D
Beatles music gives me Eargasms
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 527

Page created in 0.886 seconds with 83 queries.