Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Songs you love from artists you're not fan of  (Read 17414 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Songs you love from artists you're not fan of
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 08:11:07 AM »

The Zombies had three hits, at least in US: "She's Not There" (#2), "Tell Her No" (#6) and "Time Of The Season" (#3). This doesn't mean that you should love them, but they were not one-hit wonders.

...plus one of the greatest albums of all-time.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 08:13:33 AM »

Never understood what anyone ever saw in this very ordinary bloke (The Boss? of what? a small car park somewhere maybe?) but I do rate this one:

Yes, because any ordinary bloke can gain that type of critical and commercial success over multiple decades.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 10:55:10 AM »

'Multiple decades' - run a mile!
The most over-rated virtue in the world of popular music is longevity.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »

'Multiple decades' - run a mile!
The most over-rated virtue in the world of popular music is longevity.

That's because it's rare for an artist to remain consistent while also staying true to himself and his vision over multiple decades. So when an artist does so, it's even more impressive.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »

Consistent?
You're kidding yourself if you think that anything other than a really, really low percentage of albums released after the first 10 years of a pop star's career compares with the earlier stuff.

Longevity goes completely against the original idea of quick, short, sharp pop songs that The Beatles grew up with.

Further proof that The Beatles, after about eight years of recording, split at just the right time.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 07:08:28 PM »

Yes, because any ordinary bloke can gain that type of critical and commercial success over multiple decades.

Any ordinary bloke couldn't achieve let alone maintain that success, I agree. What puzzles me is how that ordinary bloke managed it. What do people see in him?

Consistent?
You're kidding yourself if you think that anything other than a really, really low percentage of albums released after the first 10 years of a pop star's career compares with the earlier stuff.

Longevity goes completely against the original idea of quick, short, sharp pop songs that The Beatles grew up with.

Further proof that The Beatles, after about eight years of recording, split at just the right time.

Agree with much of this.... "longevity" is an overrated quality in rock/pop...witness the hoarse, prehistoric cadaver-driven cash-cow monster that is today's Rolling Stones... What the fabs have achieved is so much more impressive... i.e. longevity of appeal for a (relatively) brief career.

The Beatles undoubtedly split at the right moment in my opinion.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 11:57:08 PM »

Of course. Didn't forget that one...

http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=11961.0
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

KelMar

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 12:42:09 AM »

Of course. Didn't forget that one...

That is a fantastic album and I'm not sure I would have known that if I didn't belong here. That's one of the best things about this group; discovering new music.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 01:52:40 AM »

How are you measuring greatness ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 03:13:38 AM »

That is a fantastic album and I'm not sure I would have known that if I didn't belong here. That's one of the best things about this group; discovering new music.

Probably you would have known it sooner or later because it's a critically acclaimed album; but I agree that this is a good place to discover new music.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 03:14:13 AM »

Personal opinion?

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2015, 08:10:51 AM »

Agree with much of this.... "longevity" is an overrated quality in rock/pop...witness the hoarse, prehistoric cadaver-driven cash-cow monster that is today's Rolling Stones... What the fabs have achieved is so much more impressive... i.e. longevity of appeal for a (relatively) brief career.

The Beatles undoubtedly split at the right moment in my opinion.

Nobody is saying that longevity in and of itself is worthy of commend. You are going for the worst case scenario, but even the Stones released some of their best stuff in the 70's, according to the majority of their fans. The Beatles split at the right moment because they couldn't function as a band anymore and smartly realized that they could never put together another album with every member's full involvement in it. It was the best decision for them. But that doesn't mean that a band/artist can't release great albums over multiple decades. It also doesn't mean that those bands/artists are not worthy of admiration for doing so. Scott Walker released 'Tilt', the album that is now widely considered his best and most original 28 years later after his (also acclaimed) debut.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2015, 10:49:34 AM »

But with respect ovi, you are going for a best case scenario with the Scott Walker example - one of the rare exceptions that proves the rule. Even then, "Tilt" was just one album, it's not as if he was still pumping out a series of consistently strong works which outshone the music he was making twenty five years earlier. The original point obs was making - which I agree with - is that most multi-decade spanning acts release their best work within the first ten years of that career and on the whole I suspect that's true. Sure there are exceptions and your point about acts being commendable for maintaining critical and commercial success (rather than just sticking together or still touring) over a long period is well made, although quite why Springsteen garnered either, even at the start of his career, will forever elude me personally.

I still feel that this continued commercial (and even sometimes critical) success is maintained over decades through habit/familiarity. This idea that just by "still going" decades after an act first hit the scene, whilst not being trumpeted by you, is nevertheless held in bafflingly high regard by the public in general - and in the context of rock/pop and its original "live fast die young" premise, as obs says, it goes completely against the grain. It's the same mentality that awards "lifetime achievement" awards to TV stars and actors, basically just for staying alive and not retiring. The Stones are the obvious example, stale, old, trapped in a cycle, playing safe and lacking the individual talent and the professional courage to split, grow and develop. But it's The Stones, and since they've been around forever and are no longer a raw, dangerous threat, they are now "National Treasures". Yuck!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:55:39 AM by Mr Mustard »

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2015, 11:02:53 AM »

Sometimes it's a simple case of fan loyalty, I think. I have a number of artists in mind who have often put out works that I wasn't crazy about, but I'll buy their new releases regardless, because there's usually something of merit on any given album, and I'd just want a complete collection anyway.

Could be part of it for others too.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2015, 11:37:17 AM »

Sometimes it's a simple case of fan loyalty, I think. I have a number of artists in mind who have often put out works that I wasn't crazy about, but I'll buy their new releases regardless, because there's usually something of merit on any given album, and I'd just want a complete collection anyway.

Could be part of it for others too.

:)

Spot on Klang. I'm sure that's true.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »

I'm sure there may be exceptions and, I accept, my 50s/60s bias is going to hold sway for me here, but the number of great LPs released 10 years after a debut is a very small number.

'Tilt's all very well but how often does it get played compared to Scott 4? Many Scott fans don't like it.

I'm in no danger of rushing off to play it, but I can only think of one, solitary example of an absolute gem released beyond that 10 year rule....'Blood on the Tracks'.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 10:09:31 AM »

But with respect ovi, you are going for a best case scenario with the Scott Walker example

Mr M, dont you rate albums like The Wall/Animals - Pink Floyd, Songs From The Wood - Jethro Tull, Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder, Beautiful Noise - Neil Diamond, Rust Never Sleeps - Neil Young, Wired - Jeff Beck

these artists had been around for 10 years I think
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »

Quality of product.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2015, 12:13:48 PM »

Yep

(Paul McCartney)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Page created in 1.347 seconds with 84 queries.