Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 107

Author Topic: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them  (Read 194312 times)

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

Re: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them
« Reply #1121 on: January 14, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »

Just watched 'Phil Spector'

Al Pacino (as Spector)
Helen Mirren

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745862/

I enjoyed it, plenty of Beatle references, Pacino does a great job as Spector

Storyline

Record producer Phil Spector hires Bruce Cutler to defend him when he's accused of murder. Cutler persuades Linda Kenney Baden to advise him. While the prosecution's story is contradicted by facts in the case, there is convincing circumstantial evidence against Spector, not the least of which is his appearance. As Baden gradually takes over the defense, even as she is ill with pneumonia, she must find a way to introduce ballistic evidence in a dramatic enough fashion to plant doubt in the jury's mind. Calling Specter to testify may be the only way to stage the evidence. She coaches him and rehearses him: can he (and she) pull it off?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1122 on: January 15, 2014, 01:49:11 AM »

Just watched 'Phil Spector'

Al Pacino (as Spector)
Helen Mirren

Oh, I didn't realized this had been released! Will have to track it down.

..........Calling Specter to testify may be the only way to stage the evidence. She coaches him and rehearses him: can he (and she) pull it off?

Well, I guess we all know how it eventually ended up. 

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1123 on: January 19, 2014, 01:41:30 AM »

The Lincoln Lawyer.  Thumbs up! Taunt, fast paced courtroom crime drama at it's best.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #1124 on: January 19, 2014, 02:23:11 AM »

Cléo de 5 à 7

scene from cleo de 5 a 7 agnes varda

Un 1962 film de Agnès Varda avec Corinne Marchand.  Cléo, une belle chanteuse, attend les résultats d'une analyse médicale.  Le portrait de la femme est touchant, métaphorique et existentiel.
I can stay till it's time to go

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #1125 on: January 19, 2014, 08:06:48 PM »

The Lincoln Lawyer.  Thumbs up! Taunt, fast paced courtroom crime drama at it's best.
Really? I heard that it is sooo long and drags on (which is the reason I didn't go see it)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1126 on: January 19, 2014, 11:34:22 PM »

It was a bit long and a couple of times I thought I figured it out but didn't which is a good thing. If I have a criticism it's that the ultimate outcome was a bit of an aside to the whole thing till the end but was still good!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #1127 on: January 22, 2014, 02:08:44 AM »

The Place Beyond The Pines

Is it me? I'm thinking it has to be at this point. Every review i've read of this movie is positive and people loved it, even going as far as Oscar talks. I thought it was absolutely dreadful. It was so boring, it took me three different days to watch it.

***SPOILERS***

Poor motorcycle daredevil finds out he has a son with a woman he banged while on the road. Quits Carnival and starts robbing banks to support the kid. He screws up and ends up getting killed by a cop. In the midst of the encounter, the cop gets shot too, but lives. Upon recovery, some of his fellow cops come by the house and take him out for some celebration. They make a visit to the lady and sons house of the guy the one cop shot. They find some of the stashed money and take it. Well, the cop that was shot feels bad later on and blackmails the department into making him a district attorney and in turn, he rats on the other cops. 15 years later the cops troubled son comes to live with him. Goes to school and becomes friends with another kid. They get into trouble with drugs and so forth. The other kid turns out ot be the motorcycle daredevils kid. He finds out that his buddy is the cops son and all hell breaks loose. The cop is kidnapped by the kid by gunpoint and taken to the woods. He cries and aplogizes. Kid feels bad, steals the dudes wallet and lets him live. Kid finds a picture of the motocycle daredevil, the girl and himself when he was a baby tucked in the cops wallet. Cop was a crook but did feel bad about killing the guy. Kid runs away, buys a motorcycle off of some farmer and rides off into the sunset.

What was the point of all this? Were we supposed to feel bad for the cop who lied and stole his way into a successful job? Were we supposed to feel bad for the kid because his bum and crook of a dad was killed when he was a baby? Hell, he was brought up in a stable home. His mother was shacked up with a decent man. Are we to believe that there was no consequences for the kid after he held the district attorney at gunpoint and almost murdered him (he also beat the cops son up with the gun)? The final straw was when the kid gave the guy cash for the motorcycle and just rode off with no title, paperwork, or anything.

Horrible 

nimrod

« Reply #1128 on: January 22, 2014, 02:17:21 AM »

Silver Linings Playbook

Really good :)

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #1129 on: January 22, 2014, 11:21:16 AM »

Riddick. Vin Diesel action/sci-fi vehicle.  It was ok and free as I had a pay per view certificate from Dish Network.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #1130 on: January 22, 2014, 11:33:07 AM »

Silver Linings Playbook

Really good :)

My fave from that year. I think I've grown a serious crush on Jennifer Lawrence. She even made the 'Hunger Games' sequel bearable.

:P
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

« Reply #1131 on: January 23, 2014, 12:59:03 AM »

Just watch Back Beat again

Its pretty good imo although it portrays John as too angry too much of the time, like a coiled up spring

The music is great, there all covers The Beatles did in those days, re recorded by a mixture of musicians, its very enegetic and upbeat stuff, would loved to have been on the Kaiser Keller ;)

Pilzkopf

• A Beginning
« Reply #1132 on: February 22, 2014, 05:08:10 PM »

I`ve seen Anna Karenina - the new American film with Keira Knightley and Jude Law. It is made as a theatre production with a few scenes outdoors. I enjoyed it very much! I believe that this theatrical version is very successful and helps to avoid cheap imitation of the Russian reality of that time, which is likely to be viewed by a Russian audience with a condescending smile. No such thing this time. All is very professional, the actors are perfect, especially Jude as Karenin, Keira is quite good, though a bit hysterical. The only minus is our dear Aaron Taylor-Johnson who played John Lennon in the movie Nowhere Boy, where I loved his acting. However in Anna Karenina he looked too young for Vronsky, too sweet and with very rosy cheeks like a baby. For Russians it is rather funny to see such a Vronsky. )))

Small correction: it's a British production, not American. I didn't like it much, but what can you expect from a 2-hour adaptation of an 800-page book? The one that stands the test of time for me is the 9-hour 1977 BBC television series, with Nicola Pagett as Anna and Stuart Wilson as Vronsky. That's a keeper, if you can find it at a reasonable price.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1133 on: February 23, 2014, 02:27:08 AM »

The Host - Long drawn out alien movie with good special effects but interesting!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #1134 on: February 23, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »

Small correction: it's a British production, not American. I didn't like it much, but what can you expect from a 2-hour adaptation of an 800-page book? The one that stands the test of time for me is the 9-hour 1977 BBC television series, with Nicola Pagett as Anna and Stuart Wilson as Vronsky. That's a keeper, if you can find it at a reasonable price.

I gave up on this after an hour, total crap.

another one I gave up on was The Impossible - a film about the Asian tsunami in 04 (I think), Ewan McGregor, very very boring film with the thinnest of story lines, talk about cashing in !!  Hollywood at its worst.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1135 on: February 24, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »

The 2013 remake of Carrie. Blech. The original was 'way better.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #1136 on: March 02, 2014, 04:22:08 AM »

American Hustle. Fun and fast paced, but a bit of a Scorsese wannabe.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1137 on: March 02, 2014, 08:01:23 PM »

The Colony. Started out good! A post apocalyptic frozen world where a few people survive in underground outposts. Started out good until the roaring digitally enhanced cannibal gangs that use one word sentences came on the scene and it turned into the usual blood, guts and mayhem!
Mark Twain

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #1138 on: March 03, 2014, 08:20:43 AM »

I gave up on this after an hour, total crap.

another one I gave up on was The Impossible - a film about the Asian tsunami in 04 (I think), Ewan McGregor, very very boring film with the thinnest of story lines, talk about cashing in !!  Hollywood at its worst.

I saw the shorts for this one. It seemed they gave away the ending. Unless there was a twist.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1139 on: March 03, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »

The Colony. Started out good! A post apocalyptic frozen world where a few people survive in underground outposts. Started out good until the roaring digitally enhanced cannibal gangs that use one word sentences came on the scene and it turned into the usual blood, guts and mayhem!

I've been so close to renting that one a couple of times, but I hate blood and guts. Thanks for posting that, Dave; now I'll know to avoid it.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 107

Page created in 0.87 seconds with 91 queries.