Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 50 Most Important Drummers Of All Time  (Read 35086 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: 50 Most Important Drummers Of All Time
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 08:20:05 PM »

A couple other drummers that I think deserve a mention, but are sadly overlooked all the time are -

Dennis Elliot of Foreigner. He played some great drums on the first three albums. Really good rock drummer.

Myron Grombacher from Pat Benatar. If you can look past his antics behind the kit, he's a pleasure to listen to. I still think the snare sound in 'Heartbreaker' might be the greatest snare in a popular rock song.

Paul Delong from Kim Mitchell. Great drummer that flies under the radar for the most part.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »

i agree todd,i think for the most part it's a 'drummer thing' to show other players respect,and to appreciate their playing.you don't get it a lot from guitarists,that's for sure.some of the players you mentioned in your second post i haven't even heard of,but i am familiar with the playing of the feller from foreigner,and he has some lovely chops going on.i know a couple of pat benatar songs,but paul delong is a new one on me.if i may throw a couple of names into the mix...............

Bobby Elliot....The Hollies.lovely player with a great jazz touch,still doing the business today.

Mick Tucker....The Sweet.what a great pop/rock player,amazing chops and very overlooked....R.I.P Mick

another guy who never gets the recognition is Roger Taylor from Queen.big big playing from a small bloke.

my last mention is for Chris Sharrock...The La's,Lightning Seeds,Robbie Williams,Oasis,Beady Eye.very moon like antics,but the playing is very much there.excellent.

so,the man at the back.the guy everyone turns their back on.the guy who steers the ship,night after night.if he gets it right,no-one remembers.if he gets it wrong,no-one forgets.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »

Bobby Elliot....The Hollies.lovely player with a great jazz touch,still doing the business today.

Mick Tucker....The Sweet.what a great pop/rock player,amazing chops and very overlooked....R.I.P Mick

Yes and yes. Totally agree with those two.

if he gets it right,no-one remembers.if he gets it wrong,no-one forgets.

Isnt that the truth. When we mess up, its right there for all the world to hear. Other instruments can hide most of the times.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »

Sigtryggur Baldursson, who was the drummer in The Sugarcubes is probably my favourite drummer.

Sugarcubes - walkabout

They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 07:09:15 PM »

when we mess up the whole song gets messed up.any other instrument messes up,then things carry on as if nothing has happened.you build anything on solid foundations...poor drummer,poor band.it is THE one instrument you cannot fake or carry in your band.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »

I like all drummers. Seriously, there isnt one I dislike.

This sounds funny coming from you Todd, especially since we have seen how you can be critical.  ;D
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »

This sounds funny coming from you Todd, especially since we have seen how you can be critical.  ;D

Hey, i'll be the first to agree with you. Maybe because I can relate. I'm the worship drummer in my church. We practice the seven songs a half hour before service starts and the worship leader is guarenteed to change the songs up at least three times before we start. I try to tell them we need to run through those changes, but they just blow me off and say that it'll be fine and nobody will notice. I tell them that if the song breaks down, i'm the one that looks like a fool. In the year and half i've been doing it, we havent had a train wreck yet (knock on wood), but they dont understand.

If the guitar playesrs screw up, its covered by the other guitars, organ, piano, etc,,,. When I screw up its right there for everyone to see. plus it throughs the bass player off. I dont know, its a difficult instrumet to play and a lot of people dont realize it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 09:12:07 PM »

Sigtryggur Baldursson, who was the drummer in The Sugarcubes is probably my favourite drummer.

I've never heard them before. He is good.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »

Mick Fleetwood deserves a mention too.

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams (with lyrics)
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 07:09:24 AM »

So does Clem Burke...

Blondie - Dreaming

Blondie - Dreaming - Live

I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »

Clem Burke has always been one of my favorite drummers. I got to meet him a few years ago (with the rest of Blondie) and he's a super cool guy.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 01:44:01 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 01:17:07 AM »

Gene Krupa

Bugle Call Rag

Benny Goodman Orchestra "Bugle Call Rag" 1936

The Benny Goodman Orchestra   1936

Buddy Rich

Bugle Call Rag

Buddy Rich - Bugle Call Rag (live 1982)

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »

mmmmmm..............it doesn't really get much better than that.although i think some work needs doing on your singles there,buddy. ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 02:59:46 AM »

Peter Hoorelbeke  (Peter Rivera)  Rare Earth

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Rg9xwZoo8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Rg9xwZoo8</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANrkVF_FkEI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANrkVF_FkEI</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5LIDNbFadU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5LIDNbFadU</a>

And he could sing too!

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »

I'm surprised no one mentioned Steve Gadd.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2016, 04:29:23 AM »

Gadd, Keltner, Gordon, Kunkle, and those studio guys are given.

Floyd Sneed from 'Three Dog Night' was a great drummer too.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nza--18LVQY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nza--18LVQY</a>

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2016, 09:29:48 PM »

I'm also thinking (always) of Joe Morello, Jim Chapin and whoever the drummers are for Steely Dan.  There's a ton of drummers I don't know the names of.  Listen to the beat in Funky Drummer by James Brown.  The drummer for the Bad Plus as well.  And the drummer no one seems to remember - Sandy Nelson.  I've always loved "Let there be drums."

I don't know how they figure out all those nifty patterns out but they really create major grooves.  I mean any major dude will tell you this (I'm not one of them; I'm just a flea enjoying the circus).

Just a note:  some natural untutored drummers seem to find their way around the set quite nicely (John Bonham, e.g.)  Yet they're not technically trained.

One more thought:  I wonder how Ringo would do with other bands and other music genres.  Could he do jazz, like Brubeck's Take Five, for example?  I recall in a Ringo interview that he said George asked him to play 7/8 once.  Ringo didn't understand time signatures but he figured it out.  He said he just counted it and got the feel of it.

I also recall Paul saying "our drummer can't play in 5/4."  Well, I wonder about that.  I bet Ringo could - unless this is factually based and he actually failed to play it for Paul.  Does any know if the Beatles did any songs in 5/4?

By the way, can you play Steve Gadd's intro to "50 ways to lose your lover" by Paul Simon?  It sounds deceptively simple - but try it once.  I'm asking as a guy who used to play drums years ago who is still greatly interested in drumming.  Well, I sure couldn't play it, can you?  Also, I live in an apartment so I can't make noise that disturbs my neighbors.  I can't afford an electronic set and I don't have room for one anyway because my apartment is maximally cramped and cluttered.

Thanks, tkitna, for your comments and related posts.  Appreciate it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 03:09:47 AM »

By the way, can you play Steve Gadd's intro to "50 ways to lose your lover" by Paul Simon?  It sounds deceptively simple - but try it once.  I'm asking as a guy who used to play drums years ago who is still greatly interested in drumming.  Well, I sure couldn't play it, can you? 

I used to play it, but its been awhile.  I dont play it right though.  I use alternating triplets.  It sounds good, but its not technically correct.

Middle part of 'Dont Let Me Down' is in 5/4.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »

Wow, tkitna!!  How did you know that?  You must be quite musically astute to have detected that time signature.  I honestly wouldn't know what time signature any song is in - no matter how simple.  I tried to learn the concepts but stumbled when the instructor was trying to explain 3/4, 6/8 and even cut time.  Wasn't there a 12/8, too?  And Frank Zappa invented a crazy ton of them cuz he liked to experiment so much. Also, I never understood the idea of alternating signatures in the same song or even synchronized alternate signatures in jazz, etc.   Anyway, the triplet approach to doing 50 Ways sounds pretty good.  It sort of has the feel of it.  Thanks for the info.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 91 queries.