Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Viva La Vida - Coldplay  (Read 11208 times)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: Viva La Vida - Coldplay
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »

Don't mind me. I'm just jumping in and shooting from the hip. heheeh.

Coldplay is just too much....'Hey honestly, we're really uncool but cool really...cool.' Sickly, although musically the production is often good and it has space. Nothing I have not heard in U2 before though. I will admit to liking 'Fix You' and perhaps some of the first album.

Trouble in America for Coldplay?...nah, Gwyneth's publicists are weaving their magic I reckon, so the loyal fans can jump to their defence. lol

Fair points Kevin about The Beatles publicity machine but come on....cheesy Chris Martin?  :P

http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »

Quote from: 216

Not sure how to take that.  :B

Was supposed to be a joke. I know you like Van Halen, and I was in dangerous territory critcising them while having a history of sticking up for Iron Maiden, Madonna and the Spice Girls.
Please don't be offended as I really enjoy our little "discussions." Please may we never agree on anything ever.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »

I know I shouldn't like them. They're very corporate, and live in that part of rock land I used to deplore - the same place that gave us other thirtysomething bands like Hootie and The Blofish.
Maybe I'm getting old, but they sound atmospheric to me. I think Britain hates Chris Martin because he married Gwenyth, eats tofu and has gone all american. He couldn't have made a worse PR move if he narried a Japanese Conceptual Artist, filmed his butt and sat in a bag for a week.
don't follow leaders

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2009, 08:20:51 PM »

Quote from: 185

Was supposed to be a joke. I know you like Van Halen, and I was in dangerous territory critcising them while having a history of sticking up for Iron Maiden, Madonna and the Spice Girls.
Please don't be offended as I really enjoy our little "discussions." Please may we never agree on anything ever.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't becoming to annoying. Cuz I'm not realy trying to be!  :X

PS
You can't compare Van Halen to ANY of those "bands." Maybe Iron Maiden on a bad day, but otherwise...

PPS
We do agree on something right? It's why we're both here!  ;)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »

Quote from: 15
Don't mind me. I'm just jumping in and shooting from the hip. heheeh.

Coldplay is just too much....'Hey honestly, we're really uncool but cool really...cool.' Sickly, although musically the production is often good and it has space. Nothing I have not heard in U2 before though. I will admit to liking 'Fix You' and perhaps some of the first album.

Trouble in America for Coldplay?...nah, Gwyneth's publicists are weaving their magic I reckon, so the loyal fans can jump to their defence. lol

Fair points Kevin about The Beatles publicity machine but come on....cheesy Chris Martin?  :P

I loved the 60 Minutes promo, er I mean interview, where they go: "Chris Martin, he's married to one of the most beautiful women in the world"...cut to Gywneth in the audience at one of their concerts, spotlight straight on her, soulfully swaying back and forth to some overly produced, sappy tune. And people wonder why this band causes so much eye rolling. (barf2)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2009, 08:34:59 PM »

Quote from: 971
Why do you think Viva La Vida as become such a popular song ?
It's now gone triple platinum on the  Billboard singles chart and spent 41 weeks on the chart , it's climed back up the charts to # 13 after it's grammy success .
On Youtube it's had 37 million views , thats over 20 million more views than a song like Hey Jude , so how do you explain it's popularity and the bands success ?

Agree. All this popularity means something.
And, Sandra, be careful with Coldplay, cause next minute you may start liking them...Beware!  8)  ;D

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2009, 11:31:18 PM »

Quote from: 1393

Agree. All this popularity means something.
And, Sandra, be careful with Coldplay, cause next minute you may start liking them...Beware!  8)  ;D

You see now I'm confused. Does popularity mean something or nothing when speaking of great music? Have we made up our minds yet?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2009, 04:50:07 AM »

You see now I'm confused. Does popularity mean something or nothing when speaking of great music? Have we made up our minds yet?

Made up my mind i like some Coldplay music , but what i like even more is that they annoy so many people now thats a popular band ?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2009, 12:01:48 PM »

Don't know if we'll ever solve this. Most of us would consider popularity one of the least important indicators (Bay city rollers anyone? ) but the bugger is it's the only one which is measurable. There's critical acclaim, but I stopped reading Melody maker in 1987 when they gave The Mission band and single of the year (and I liked them, but they weren't that good.) and does that mean music's only great if it's liked by earnest students or beard-stroking muso's (of which I think I'm neither.) But popularity has to count for something.
And opinions change. People now talk about Wings like they were a real band, but you would have been tarred and feathered for admitting to liking them in the 70's, while thinking John's music  was cool and edgy almost a social neccesity.
We need an equation, like the one for poetry that Robin Williams mocks in Dead Poets Society. But then we might us well all home.
To sum up: f*cked if I know.
don't follow leaders

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2009, 09:06:57 PM »

Imposed popularity is one thing spontaneous popularity is quite another.
The Killers, Stereophonics, Coldplay... get equal promotion but Coldplay is known and liked by more people than the others.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 61 queries.