Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: It's All Too Much  (Read 1212 times)

walrus_21

• A Beginning
  • But I tried.
It's All Too Much
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:33:44 PM »

Anyone out there feel, as I do, that this song was written for Indian instruments, but made into rock and roll instead?
It's built around one chord, essentially, the lyrical theme is Eastern, etc.  I imagine it with tamboura instead of droning guitars, a very light touch on the percussion, sitar following the vocal as in Within You Without You, and the dalruba (sp?) adding the trills. Much shorter, too.  It would've made for a very peaceful little thing.  
Anyone?

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: It's All Too Much
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:50:12 PM »

I don't think there's any particular reason to think it was originally conceived to be done with Indian instruments, droning aside. But it would've been nice to hear.

:)
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 11:05:21 PM »

Quote from: 789
Anyone out there feel, as I do, that this song was written for Indian instruments, but made into rock and roll instead?
It's built around one chord, essentially, the lyrical theme is Eastern, etc.  I imagine it with tamboura instead of droning guitars, a very light touch on the percussion, sitar following the vocal as in Within You Without You, and the dalruba (sp?) adding the trills. Much shorter, too.  It would've made for a very peaceful little thing.  
Anyone?

Can't see it myself.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 03:59:46 AM »

I can see what you're saying here, interesting thoughts!

As it turns out, it's one of my favorite Beatles song as it is now. Especially the fade out!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:03:29 AM »

Quote from: 568
As it turns out, it's one of my favorite Beatles song as it is now. Especially the fade out!

It's grown on me lately, as a result of the two current threads about it. :) I don't think it's wonderful, but I certainly appreciate it more than I used to.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:34:43 AM »

i hadnt even noticed it sqaushed amongst all the orchestral scores on yellow submarine till 2 months ago, i was aware that yellow submarine was on it but i could hear that on Revolver if need be.

never been a fan of all together now and i prefer the anthology version of northern song, so never really listened to yellow submarine ever, then i noticed someone mention it a while back had a listen to it and thought this is actually really good and thought it would have sounded really good on MMT after Flying

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:48:52 PM »

I think it was supposed to be a vehicle for bagpipes and other Irish music.  ;D
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 06:01:41 PM »

Quote from: 789
Anyone?

yeah, I've always said the lyrical theme in IATM was Eastern..but come to think of it, you're quite right, the melody leans that way too.
a less "occidental" tune than many others dating from this time (circa '67-1968)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 11:52:53 PM »

Just thinking ... that long distorted guitar thing at the beginning, reminds me a bit of a Steppenwolf song, can't remember if it's Born to be Wild or Magic Carpet Ride or something ?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 01:29:25 AM »

Quote from: 568
Just thinking ... that long distorted guitar thing at the beginning, reminds me a bit of a Steppenwolf song, can't remember if it's Born to be Wild or Magic Carpet Ride or something ?

it's Magic Carpet Ride that has that distorted beginning...Born to Be Wild just starts w/ that kick-ass drumbeat and guitar riff then the great John Kay starts singing.."get your motor runnin' etc...

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 58 queries.