Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Liverpool to host Lennon candle light vigil on December 8th 2010  (Read 1385 times)

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
Liverpool to host Lennon candle light vigil on December 8th 2010
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:26:29 PM »

Liverpool to host Lennon candle lit vigil on December 8th 2010

Beatles fans from all over the UK will be make their way to Liverpool on 8th December to mark the 30th anniversary of John Lennon’s death with a candlelit vigil set to take place at the city’s European Peace Monument, dedicated to John. They will be led in song on the occasion by local singers and musicians.

WHERE – EUROPEAN PEACE MONUMENT, CHAVASSE PARK, LIVERPOOL, UK
WHEN – WEDNESDAY 8TH DECEMBER, 8PM – 9.30PM GMT

Since its unveiling by Julian & Cynthia Lennon on Lennon’s birth date (October 9th), the monument - entitled ‘Peace & Harmony’ - has become a popular focal point for visitors to the Beatles home city looking to celebrate Lennon’s life and message of peace through his music.

The monument represents Liverpool's ever physical focal point for fans of Lennon and The Beatles to congregate and remember the artistic and creative legacy of the world icon.

The vigil of remembrance will form a counterpoint to the ‘Lennon Remembered – The 9 Faces of John’ concert taking place at Liverpool’s Echo Arena the following day (Thursday 9th December). All profits from the concert are being donated to regional charities Alder Hey Imagine Appeal, Radio City’s Cash For Kids and the Mathew Street Festival. The evening event will close the enormously successful John Lennon Season that is taking place right across the city.

Created by American artist Lauren Voiers, the striking ‘Peace & Harmony’ monument features a white feather at its apex; a detail created to the express wishes of Lennon’s son Julian. As Julian comments, “One of the things my father said to me was that should he pass away, if there was some way of letting me know he was going to be ok, it was by, in some shape or form, presenting me with a white feather.”

Jerry Goldman, MD of The Beatles Story comments:

“Although the European Peace Monument has only been on public display for just over a month it’s already taken on a global significance of its own. People from all over the world are coming to the city to pay their respects and consider Lennon’s message of peace through his music.

“The city is very excited that we finally have a focal point at which to remember Lennon and look forward to a vigil that will reach out to people the world over.”

The vigil at the Lennon Peace Monument will take place at 8pm on Wednesday 8th December on Chavasse Park, Liverpool ONE, Liverpool L1 8LT, overlooking both The River Mersey and The Albert Dock.

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 36 queries.