Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 25060 times)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
Re: Religion
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2006, 02:22:23 AM »

im not upset by the fact that politicans believe in it, its the fact that they are using it as perfect justification for doing something, and then fail to realize that there are plenty of others that dont believe they have the right to simply because its justified religiously. Like the Terry Schivo case, seriously how was that something political. she was in a coma and wasnt improving and her husband had right of attorney and it became a huge political and religous thing.

...im sorry, did i miss something? are we so pathetic and needy that we must pry into someone's life, who we didnt know, and try to force them to put the feeding tube back in by saying that its God's will.

why do we care about that more then say...declaring wars based solely on religious disagreements or not caring that millions are dying in Africa (which is as christian as the US) and its like we dont care, but not when some random comatose person dies?

society needs to get its prioities straight, because religion shouldnt stop us from stopping genocide or mass starvation.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2006, 04:28:51 AM »

You're being rather ethnocentric, don't you think? Last time I checked, politics in the UK and Canada had little to do with religion. I don't know enough about world politics to say, but I'm pretty sure they're not as heavily into it as the US.
also, I would also like to add that I noticed the conservative Christians are more into following the Old Testament, while liberal ones such as myself are more heavily influenced by the New Testament. Just an observation.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2006, 10:14:54 AM »

Quote from: Mairi
You're being rather ethnocentric, don't you think? Last time I checked, politics in the UK and Canada had little to do with religion.

The church is dead and buried in the UK, except in parts of Scotland and Ireland where they still fight over it.
For us more harmonious people the church is nothing more than dodgy effiminate vicars riding motorbikes to show the kids how groovy they are. i don't know a single person who attends church.
But as I've said before, the biggest social concerns in Britain at the moment are the breakdown of social and family values and the lack of respect for people and property. Their is a general feeling of morale decline.
I doubt if the two things are disconnected.

I think our society would be infinately better off if we all went to church on Sundays, met our neighbours, sang together and prayed for a common good together. I don't need to believe in God to see the benefits of that.
don't follow leaders

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2006, 09:15:13 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
You're being rather ethnocentric, don't you think? Last time I checked, politics in the UK and Canada had little to do with religion. I don't know enough about world politics to say, but I'm pretty sure they're not as heavily into it as the US.
also, I would also like to add that I noticed the conservative Christians are more into following the Old Testament, while liberal ones such as myself are more heavily influenced by the New Testament. Just an observation.

sorry, i personally dont know much about politics and religion outside the US except for the ones that Commander Monkey-Nuts is whining about because they actually do have a reasonably powerful religious backing in their governments. most of those are in the middle east and africa.

i dunno, it seems like America is the home of christian nut-jobs as much as the middle east is the home of isamic nut-jobs. seriously, the civil war hasnt really ended, it really is like two different countries here. someone from the north or someone thats catholic   are really shunned if you go south. in the "bible belt" (between the Atlantic and Texas, as far north as West Virginia) you cant say one word denoucing chirisianity (catholicism yes, other chrisitian religions no) without being hung.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2006, 09:57:57 PM »

Whut ya'll gum-flappin' 'bout the South, boy?!   You bitter wawtch whut you'se seyin' er I'll sic the ghost of Ronnie Van Zant on you!

Mean_Mr_Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2006, 10:53:14 PM »

Instead of asking for proof ask for evidence, proof can me anything to anyone "OMG Mother Mary is on my Toast GOD IS REAL" :p

Sandra, you say you know that Vampires were made up by a guy that wrote a book.. How do you know the Bible wasnt just someone way back in time writing a history book aswell?

I wouldnt worship someone just because they walked on water, Id probably give them a high five or something though. Still I would prefer going in a boat much fast probably. Unless he could drive a car on the water that would be sweet.

Sorry I am a little high.. :p

Mean_Mr_Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2006, 11:00:19 PM »

Quote from: somedude210
im not upset by the fact that politicans believe in it, its the fact that they are using it as perfect justification for doing something, and then fail to realize that there are plenty of others that dont believe they have the right to simply because its justified religiously. Like the Terry Schivo case, seriously how was that something political. she was in a coma and wasnt improving and her husband had right of attorney and it became a huge political and religous thing.

...im sorry, did i miss something? are we so pathetic and needy that we must pry into someone's life, who we didnt know, and try to force them to put the feeding tube back in by saying that its God's will.

why do we care about that more then say...declaring wars based solely on religious disagreements or not caring that millions are dying in Africa (which is as christian as the US) and its like we dont care, but not when some random comatose person dies?

society needs to get its prioities straight, because religion shouldnt stop us from stopping genocide or mass starvation.

Or better yet realize there are millions of americans in poverty that need help. I dont disagree with helping Africans and such, but I think we should help everyone here first before we start helping the rest of the world.

I dont mean helping in the Imperialst "Take over your government and install a new one" way.. I mean helping as in sending aid and medicine and such.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2006, 12:03:32 AM »

oops i think i made a wrong turn in albakerky

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2006, 10:04:39 PM »

One of the problems we face is how to translate an archaic mythology, the roots of which are over 4000 years old, into something we can understand now.

I think that's what the Beatles were doing in their music--helping to create a new mythology to help people identify with and love God as well as their fellow humankind.  

All You Need is Love, Let it Be, Across the Universe, A Day in the Life, Within You, Without You--all these songs are spiritual in nature.  I don't think it's an accident that this topic comes up on the forum.  It's completely natural.  We are trying to understand and explicate the mythology that the Beatles built out of their experience.

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2006, 10:56:44 PM »

It's all "Man's Search for Meaning". People don't want to think they're here and then dust to dust. Whether or not there is life after death, it doesn't matter. If God and religion give people the strength to get through another day, its a wonderful thing, and if it's a hoax, it's still a wonderful thing because it helped an incredible amount of people, mere mortals, get through another day, and that's all we can really ask for. I have an absolute disdain for organized religion, but I consider myself to be very spiritual. And whether it's Jehovah, Jesus, Buddah, Gouda, whatever, it doesn't matter. The bible is parables about sin. Written and re-written a thousand times. Great book though I won't base my life on it. Enough. Sorry.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2006, 02:39:20 AM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
And whether it's Jehovah, Jesus, Buddah, Gouda, whatever, it doesn't matter.

LOL I vote for Gouda!  As long as it's a little bit sharp.

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2006, 02:50:43 AM »

Our Gouda Adam will have no pre-disposed notion and will take whatever cracker you are or choose to be, and will accept it unconditionally. I fine metaphysical spread, if you will.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2006, 07:32:53 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b
^ Curse you Biscuitpower for turning my science against me.

Sorry dude.

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2010, 09:13:05 AM »

john lennons point of the rc church vanishing is almost there. rc=rapes children?
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2010, 06:57:17 PM »

Yes, because the abuse of children is just SO hilarious.

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »

Yes, because the abuse of children is just SO hilarious.

you think so? theres lots of cases in the western world

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2010, 02:51:47 PM »

I was being sarcastic.

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »

im sorry that the rc church rears its ugly head

Bobber

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2010, 07:20:55 PM »

Do you think the pope should reseign?

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2010, 03:12:09 AM »

Is this discussion centered around the belief of God in general, or Christianity?

George does not approve.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 78 queries.