Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Cry Baby Cry  (Read 8586 times)

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
Re: Song Of The Week - Cry Baby Cry
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 12:33:06 AM »

Rather like leaving a door ajar in a haunted house.... somehow by leaving things suspended in icy limbo the track achieves a level of unease it would otherwise lack... for me at least!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 02:01:29 AM »

Can You Take Me Back jam session following Take 19 of I Will...

I Will [Take 19] (Can You Take Me Back?) - The Beatles
I can stay till it's time to go

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 05:53:08 AM »

Rather goes against the idea that there is nothing left in the vaults to (officially) release.

Because I adore his first LP, if Apple put out a CD entitled 'Fiddly, inconsequential, airy-fairy bits that Paul McCartney did for the White Album' I'd be the first in the queue. 

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 10:43:28 AM »

Never liked it at all to be honest. Monotonious dragging on. Nothing in it for me.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 04:00:35 PM »

Can You Take Me Back jam session following Take 19 of I Will...

I Will [Take 19] (Can You Take Me Back?) - The Beatles
Maybe he was thinking about Jane!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 09:44:41 PM »

When you remember how Manson interpreted the White Album, some of the songs feel a bit 'creepier' I guess, and this is probably one of them.

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 10:33:13 PM »

When you remember how Manson interpreted the White Album, some of the songs feel a bit 'creepier' I guess, and this is probably one of them.

Strange isnt it, that Manson chose the White Album and not the real bad boys

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2014, 01:25:23 AM »

That's for sure. He even gave a level of creepiness to his interpretation of "I Will." Now that's something I wouldn't think anyone could accomplish. I love the song anyway. 

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2014, 05:49:05 PM »

Afternoon all.
Agree with Bobber on this - don't care for this song at all. Sounds lazy and uninspired. The imagery thing that worked so well in the past (Lucy, Walrus) now sounds hackneyed and over used. I don't think he tried this type of song again ??? Like George's Indian stuff it belonged to a psychedelic era that had now had its day.
Move on man, move on.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »

I'm more about the coda than the song itself.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

nimrod

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2014, 10:54:48 PM »

Seems to be an incomplete song, but I've always liked that moment of the white album.

Hi Hombre, I read this post a few days ago, but I didn't really 'read' it if you see what I mean..

As I mentioned earlier I too think he could have spent more time on it and give it more, in what way do you think it incomplete ?
Do you feel like me it needed more lyrically to create some sort of resolution or was it more erm musically you meant ?

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2014, 11:37:08 PM »

Afternoon all.
Agree with Bobber on this - don't care for this song at all. Sounds lazy and uninspired. The imagery thing that worked so well in the past (Lucy, Walrus) now sounds hackneyed and over used. I don't think he tried this type of song again ??? Like George's Indian stuff it belonged to a psychedelic era that had now had its day.
Move on man, move on.

There is a much more melancholic tone to it, the imagery is more dry, the words more stark. I've always enjoyed it and don't think it belongs in the psychedelic basket.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2014, 12:53:03 AM »

I'm with you Ovi - not a hippy tune at all to my ears.... more of a ghost story set to music. The Kings and Duchesses and so on are transient, phantom figures trapped in a tableau of regret and despair - melancholic is indeed the right word and it was never done better than here.... that's why, unlike nimrod, I'm glad that John didn't beef it up - it demanded to be left hollow and unresolved.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:58:54 AM by Mr Mustard »

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2014, 06:35:53 AM »

I'm not so taken any more with 'Lucy', 'Walrus' or even 'A Day In The Life', but George's 'Wonderwall Music' and weird, relatively obscure, tracks like 'Long Long Long', 'The Inner Light', 'I Will', 'Martha My Dear' and 'Cry Baby Cry' seem, for me at any rate, to improve year on year.
But then I prefer 'John Wesley Harding' and 'Nashville Skyline' to 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Blonde on Blonde'. 

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2014, 07:32:26 AM »

I'm not so taken any more with 'Lucy', 'Walrus' or even 'A Day In The Life', but George's 'Wonderwall Music' and weird, relatively obscure, tracks like 'Long Long Long', 'The Inner Light', 'I Will', 'Martha My Dear' and 'Cry Baby Cry' seem, for me at any rate, to improve year on year.
But then I prefer 'John Wesley Harding' and 'Nashville Skyline' to 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Blonde on Blonde'.

I thought I was going a bit potty because quite a bit of Wonderwall Music I like a lot. Glad I'm not the only one.

Cry baby Cry has such a wonderful low key quality to it. I think I appreciate it a lot more now than as a youngster. Back then Back in the USSR,  While My Guitar and Im So Tired were the key tunes of the White Album.  Now my main thought listening to that album is I just wish they'd produced Long Long Long better.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 09:01:26 AM »

I'm with you Ovi - not a hippy tune at all to my ears.... more of a ghost story set to music. The Kings and Duchesses and so on are transient, phantom figures trapped in a tableau of regret and despair - melancholic is indeed the right word and it was never done better than here.... that's why, unlike nimrod, I'm glad that John didn't beef it up - it demanded to be left hollow and unresolved.

Beautifully put.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

nimrod

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014, 09:10:21 AM »

I agree, not hippy psyche to me either, not in the way of Lucy or Walrus, I see it as a wonderful haunting song using a nursery rhyme as its inspiration, I think for the average songwriter, an incredibly hard thing to do, its a typical later Lennon song to me, full of imagery, John doing a mixture of Edgar Allan Poe & Alice In Wonderland..

"The Duchess of Kircaldy. always smiling..
& the Duke having some problem at the local Bird & Bee "

I just love that sort of imagery, how he brings a local pub into this mysterious story..........The Bird & Bee !   ha2ha  Brilliant.

nimrod

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »

Beautifully put.

Mr M has a very nice habit of doing that !

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2014, 02:42:51 PM »

Just gave this another listen today. I really do think it is one of the highlights of the album. For me anyway.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2014, 11:38:05 PM »

Mr M has a very nice habit of doing that !

Yes he does. Great to see he and Kevin posting again. Love reading their responses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.893 seconds with 90 queries.