Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - She Said She Said  (Read 7944 times)

nimrod

Song Of The Week - She Said She Said
« on: December 05, 2013, 01:53:07 AM »

She said I know what it's like to be dead
I know what it is to be sad
And she's making me feel like I've never been born

I said who put all those things in your head
Things that make me feel that I'm mad
And you're making me feel like I've never been born

She said you don't understand what I said
I said no, no, no you're wrong
When I was a boy, everything was right
Everything was right

I said even though you know what you know
I know that I'm ready to leave
'Cause you're making me feel like I've never been born

Everything was right

I said even though you know what you know
I know that I'm ready to leave
'Cause you're making me feel like I've never been born

She said, she said
I know what it's like to be dead
I know what it's like...

Here is a story off Wiki;

In late August 1965, Brian Epstein had rented a house at 2850 Benedict Canyon Drive in Beverly Hills, California for the Beatles' six-day respite from their U.S. tour. The huge Spanish-style house was tucked into the side of a mountain. Soon their address became widely known and the area was besieged by fans who blocked roads and tried to scale the steep canyon while others rented helicopters to spy from overhead. The police department detailed a tactical squad of officers to protect the band and the house. The Beatles found it impossible to leave and instead invited guests including actors Eleanor Bron (who co-starred with them in Help!), Peggy Lipton and folk singer Joan Baez. On 24 August, they hosted the Byrds and Fonda and, all except Paul McCartney, took LSD.
Fonda wrote for Rolling Stone magazine:
“   I finally made my way past the kids and the guards. Paul and George were on the back patio, and the helicopters were patrolling overhead. They were sitting at a table under an umbrella in a rather comical attempt at privacy. Soon afterwards we dropped acid and began tripping for what would prove to be all night and most of the next day; all of us, including the original Byrds, eventually ended up inside a huge, empty and sunken tub in the bathroom, babbling our minds away.
I had the privilege of listening to the four of them sing, play around and scheme about what they would compose and achieve. They were so enthusiastic, so full of fun. John was the wittiest and most astute. I enjoyed just hearing him speak and there were no pretensions in his manner. He just sat around, laying out lines of poetry and thinking – an amazing mind. He talked a lot yet he still seemed so private.
It was a thoroughly tripped-out atmosphere because they kept finding girls hiding under tables and so forth: one snuck into the poolroom through a window while an acid-fired Ringo was shooting pool with the wrong end of the cue. "Wrong end?" he’d say. "So what f***in’ difference does it make?"

As the group passed time in the large sunken tub in the bathroom Fonda brought up his nearly fatal self-inflicted childhood gunshot accident, writing later that he was trying to comfort a frightened George Harrison.[10] Fonda said that he knew what it was like to be dead. Lennon snapped, "Listen mate, shut up about that stuff", and "You're making me feel like I've never been born." Lennon explained, "We didn't want to hear about that! We were on an acid trip and the sun was shining and the girls were dancing (some from Playboy, I believe) and the whole thing was really beautiful and Sixties. And this guy—who I really didn't know, he hadn't made Easy Rider or anything—kept coming over, wearing shades, saying 'I know what it's like to be dead,' and we kept leaving him because he was so boring. It was scary, when you're flying high: 'Don't tell me about it. I don't want to know what it's like to be dead!'" "... [H]e was showing us his bullet wound. He was very uncool," Harrison added.
McCartney recalls: "Fonda seemed to us to be a bit wasted; he was a little out of it. I don't know if we expected a bit more of Henry [Fonda]'s son but he was certainly of our generation and he was alright." Actress Salli Sachse recalled: "Peter was really into music. He couldn't wait until The Beatles’ Revolver album came out. We went to the music store and played it, trying to hear any hidden messages."
When someone realised that they had not eaten all day the group tried to make dinner in the kitchen but Lennon was too confused from the drug to use his knife and fork properly and as he tried to stop his food from moving around on his plate he spilled it onto the floor.

Recording

This was the final track recorded during the Revolver sessions, and was hastily added when the album line-up was found to be a song short. It took nine hours to rehearse and record the entire song, complete with overdubs.[13] After the recording of the song The Beatles' producer George Martin is reported to have said: "All right, boys, I'm just going for a lie-down."
Harrison said he helped Lennon construct the song from two separate "bits". McCartney does not appear on the track; the bass is played by Harrison. McCartney said, "I'm not sure but I think it was one of the only Beatle records I never played on. I think we had a barney or something and I said, 'Oh, f*** you!,' and they said, 'Well, we'll do it.'"

Personnel

John Lennon – lead and harmony vocals, rhythm guitar, Hammond organ
George Harrison – backing vocal, lead guitar, bass
Ringo Starr – drums, shaker

Personnel per Ian MacDonald
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

KelMar

Re: Song Of The Week - She Said She Said
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:34:51 AM »

What I always found interesting about this song was the phrasing John used when he sang
Everything was right

The way he broke it up was kind of unexpected but it works well with the whole trippy feel of the song. That must have been interesting for Paul to be the only one not tripping and just observing the rest of them; kind of like when you're the designated driver with a bunch of drunk people only weirder.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 03:33:50 AM »

"Trippy" is a good descriptor. I'd add "dreamy," too. This is one of my favorites.

Interesting back story; thanks for sharing, nimrod. I had heard John had based the song on a conversation with Peter Fonda but didn't know the details.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 03:51:51 AM »

In my top 5 Beatle songs.

Great bassline by George and awesome drums by Ringo. Johns singing sounds cool too. It's funny how Macca was absent. I wonder what they argued about, lol?

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 03:54:01 AM »

"Trippy" is a good descriptor. I'd add "dreamy," too. This is one of my favorites.

Interesting back story; thanks for sharing, nimrod. I had heard John had based the song on a conversation with Peter Fonda but didn't know the details.

It is an interesting story isnt it. Its great to know what inspiration the songs came from, this is one of my favourite's too.

Ive always loved it and I never seem to tire of hearing it.

In my top 5 Beatle songs.

Great bassline by George and awesome drums by Ringo. Johns singing sounds cool too. It's funny how Macca was absent. I wonder what they argued about, lol?

Yes George was no slouch on Bass Stevie.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 05:12:28 AM »

I didn't like this song when I first played my Revolver LP in 1966.  I skipped it each time I played the record for about two years.  But no, no, no I was wrong to do that.  I liked it a lot in the late 60s and still do today.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:51:17 AM »

Good song. Love Ringos drumming in this one. Great atmosphere and good production. George does well on the bass here too. I love Revolver now that I think about it.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:06:53 PM »

Yep. One of the best.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »

Even on the magnificent Revolver, 'She Said She Said' stands out as a 24 carat gold classic.

How can an LP have this, and 'Eleanor Rigby', and 'Tomorrow Never Knows', and 'Got To Get You Into My Life', and 'Good Day Sunshine' on it?.....and still be able to leave 'Paperback Writer' and 'Rain' for the 45s market!!!!!!

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 10:35:55 AM »

Even on the magnificent Revolver, 'She Said She Said' stands out as a 24 carat gold classic.

How can an LP have this, and 'Eleanor Rigby', and 'Tomorrow Never Knows', and 'Got To Get You Into My Life', and 'Good Day Sunshine' on it?.....and still be able to leave 'Paperback Writer' and 'Rain' for the 45s market!!!!!!

Not to mention 'Taxman', 'For No One', 'And Your Bird Can Sing', 'I Want To Tell You'!

Quite simply, Revolver is the best album ever made. Period.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »

Quite simply, Revolver is the best album ever made. Period.

Its damn close for sure. Easily the Beatles best record in my opinion.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »

I agree! Best record ever for me, Beatles or not!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »

Tut! Tut! Let's not forget the splendiferous 'Odyssey & Oracle.'

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »

And this guy—who I really didn't know, he hadn't made Easy Rider or anything—kept coming over, wearing shades, saying 'I know what it's like to be dead,' and we kept leaving him because he was so boring.

Peter Fonda wrote a similar line for Easy Rider.  In the tripping scene, the prostitute character played by Karen Black says: "I'm gonna die...I'm dying...I'm dead."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 02:20:31 AM »

I liked this one since the first time I listened to it, and it have become one of my favorite songs too. I love the whole ambient, with those triumphant drums and sharp guitars. And I especially love the ending, with superposed vocals in the fade out.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »

Never been that much of a fan of the song itself, but the sound is indeed great.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 10:06:21 PM »

I liked this one since the first time I listened to it, and it have become one of my favorite songs too. I love the whole ambient, with those triumphant drums and sharp guitars. And I especially love the ending, with superposed vocals in the fade out.
Me too, I love that song from the beginning; I even prefer it to "Rain", which much more popular, never quite unterstood why... the drums are amazing and the whole sound just captivates me each time I listen to it. Just too pity that the ending doesn't last longer...

Snoopy

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 11:33:57 PM »

I may be one of those rare people who do not like so much this song nor Revolver as a whole.... This song lacks melody or beat for me. Metaphorically, it is like a mansion built on little cement or shaky foundation...

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 12:34:15 AM »

I even prefer it to "Rain", which much more popular, never quite unterstood why...

Snoopy, here in the United States, Paperback Writer and Rain were released on the same 45 RPM single.  The B side was Rain, but with Beatles 45s we can consider them "Double A" records.  In fact the sleeve had the song names in reverse orders front and back...

I remember both songs being very popular during the early part of the summer of 1966 and they got a lot of airplay.  But in August, Yellow Submarine was released which went on to eclipse both songs.  That's how quickly things were changing in those days!  there just wasn't enough room on an LP for all the songs The Beatles were recording during this prolific time.

Personally, considering this particular year of 1966 where so many genres of music were popular, I feel that if they released She Said She Said as a sinle, it would have done just as well in popularity and sales.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 12:56:26 AM »

I may be one of those rare people who do not like so much this song nor Revolver as a whole....

I know how you feel, KE.  Several songs on Revolver put me off on the album too.  I just played Rubber Soul more frequently instead.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.631 seconds with 87 queries.