Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: George & Paul's relationship after The Beatles  (Read 36333 times)

Marvin

• A Beginning
Re: George & Paul's relationship after The Beatles
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 11:57:42 AM »

In Anthology Paul admits that he alway talked down to George. He said "I knew George when we used to get the same bus to school as kids. We would sit next to each other and being the older Kid I used to talk down to him like you do when you are are young.It was probably a failing of mine talking down to George because I'd always known him as the youger kid." (not word perfect but you get the gist)
next scene George joked

"Paul was always 9 month older than I. Even now he is still 9 months older than I"
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:36:29 PM by Marvin »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 03:03:33 AM »

In Anthology Paul admits that he alway talked down to George. He said "I knew George when we used to get the same bus to school as kids. We would sit next to each other and being the older Kid I used to talk down to him like you do when you are are young.It was probably a failing of mine talking down to George because I'd always known him as the youger kid." (not word perfect but you get the gist)
next scene George joked

"Paul was always 9 month older than I. Even now he is still 9 months older than I"

The Beatles -interview with John Paul and George.

Thank you, Marvin.

Paul and George attended the Liverpool Institute for Boys and met while they were there.  Paul's report card indicates that he did well in math but somehow he thought that nine months was a year and a half.  :)

I love George's dry wit.  I miss him.

I can stay till it's time to go

chrisjacob

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 10:00:15 AM »

The issues between George & Paul’s are still a mystery to the fans, even though the media people states many reasons. It is a known fact that Paul is very hard to work with which is stated by most of his co-workers. That is what the Media tell as the major reason.

LOURENE

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:05:06 AM by Bobber »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »

Some years ago I read an article relating to this where George said he was just fed up with his backseat position in the Beatles. John and Paul were openly critical of his music and playing while he kept his mouth shut(basically) about theirs. I think(my opinion) that when they got back from India George became more opinionated and the change upset the balance and caused a rift. I think some good examples of this was his critical view of how Hey Jude should be played, openly disliking Obaldi-Oblada which he included lyrics to that effect in Savoy Truffle, Not Guilty, which makes me think the difficulties started over India. Even WMGGW evokes his feelings about the situation over his playing. Into 69 he had more arguments and dissatisfaction to the point of leaving during Let It Be. I, Me Mine is a good example of his overview of Apple, Old Brown Shoe is probably a self descripted title of how he saw himself in the Beatles. My guess is Here Comes The Sun is a bit of relief as I'm sure he felt the End was near.
If you look at the photo's for 68's mad day out there are only a couple of them where George is smiling. The April69 shoot he is totally unhappy and the August69 photo shoot at Titenhearst he is totally disengaged.
All in all it probably became ridiculous for him to imagine that arguably the 3rd greatest rock star in the world could barely get a song recorded !
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 11:12:09 PM »

At one stage in the Pete Best era George was singing as many if not more cover songs at their gigs, so for a time he was equal with the others.
When J & P started their writing partnership they apparently deeply considered having George in as well but they decided against it, its a great pity it wasn't a 3 way thing - Lennon/McCartney/Harrison

all those get togethers of John & Paul at Kenwood etc, George must've felt like he'd had his nose pushed out. But he persevered and started to write songs on his own...good songs too

They shouldve included him.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 12:17:03 AM »

At one stage in the Pete Best era George was singing as many if not more cover songs at their gigs, so for a time he was equal with the others.
When J & P started their writing partnership they apparently deeply considered having George in as well but they decided against it, its a great pity it wasn't a 3 way thing - Lennon/McCartney/Harrison

all those get togethers of John & Paul at Kenwood etc, George must've felt like he'd had his nose pushed out. But he persevered and started to write songs on his own...good songs too

They shouldve included him.

It was an interesting decision given that it affected George's share of income. It's hard to know how much he was showing interest in actual song writing at that stage. He wasnt exactly prolific until 67-68. Still. Including him would have reaped later benefits. As well as sped up his learning curve.

On the post Beatle relationship between Paul and George everything I've read suggests George simply was very reluctant to work with Paul again. So professionally there was definitely lingering bad blood. I liked a quote from Henry McCullough after George signed him to Dark Horse records post-Wings. He said he and George found they had a lot in common.

That said I haven't heard of too much personal (as in non - work related) animosity between George and Paul.  It's not uncommon with friends to be able to get along perfectly well socially and like each others company but not want to work together on something.

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 02:32:02 AM »

'Paul ran out of good songs of his own "

ouch !!

George Harrison Talks About Paul McCartney

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »

There are quite a few similarities to the situation experienced by Brian Jones in The Rolling Stones.....only without the tragic ending.

nimrod

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »

There are quite a few similarities to the situation experienced by Brian Jones in The Rolling Stones.....only without the tragic ending.

Yes Id never thought of that angle.

It was also obvious to me that George & maybe Ringo wouldve been a bit upset/offended by Paul re-recording Beatles songs on the Broadstreet album, kinda saying 'its better without you guys on them' I actually thought him doing the scene where he was every band member for one of the songs was very crass, people had said that John lost it big time post Beatles (they were right in a lot of ways) , but when I saw Paul being every member of the band and re-recording Beatle songs I thought he'd lost it big time to snub his ex band mates likes this, very insensitive.

Im a massive fan of Pauls Beatle songs, I love 90% of them, but I think he could be an awkward sod

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 01:20:43 AM »

Yes Id never thought of that angle.

It was also obvious to me that George & maybe Ringo wouldve been a bit upset/offended by Paul re-recording Beatles songs on the Broadstreet album, kinda saying 'its better without you guys on them' I actually thought him doing the scene where he was every band member for one of the songs was very crass, people had said that John lost it big time post Beatles (they were right in a lot of ways) , but when I saw Paul being every member of the band and re-recording Beatle songs I thought he'd lost it big time to snub his ex band mates likes this, very insensitive.

Im a massive fan of Pauls Beatle songs, I love 90% of them, but I think he could be an awkward sod

I think it's true Paul was difficult. Although George was also a perfectionist in the studio. So I could imagine how the two would rub each other the wrong way professionally.

George had earlier got Paul's goat as well by unfavourably comparing him to Willie Weeks as a bass player. So I'm sure Paul wasn't out to spare George's feelings from that angle.

Didnt Ringo join Paul on Broadstreet? I seem to recall report of Ringo and Paul agreeing what ones to redo.

Regardless, none of the remakes are a patch on the originals.

nimrod

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 04:25:03 AM »

I think it's true Paul was difficult. Although George was also a perfectionist in the studio. So I could imagine how the two would rub each other the wrong way professionally.

George had earlier got Paul's goat as well by unfavourably comparing him to Willie Weeks as a bass player. So I'm sure Paul wasn't out to spare George's feelings from that angle.

Didnt Ringo join Paul on Broadstreet? I seem to recall report of Ringo and Paul agreeing what ones to redo.

Regardless, none of the remakes are a patch on the originals.

yeah and whats the point, whats he trying to prove ?  Beatles songs without Beatles ?  crazy !!

This is the one I meant Moog - No Ringo there

Paul McCartney - Coming Up-HQ

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 04:48:30 AM »

yeah and whats the point, whats he trying to prove ?  Beatles songs without Beatles ?  crazy !!

This is the one I meant Moog - No Ringo there

Paul McCartney - Coming Up-HQ

Ah yes. Paul's ideal band. All him. I wonder if he got the point when the version that went to no 1 in the US was the live one with him playing with Wings.

Ringo sighting here. 

Yesterday - Here There And Everywhere - Wanderlust / Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr

Yesterday - Here There And Everywhere - Wanderlust / Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 10:07:23 AM »

The problem always seems to arise when a song-writing partnership is established and, probably for legal difficulties, the notion of a Lennon-McCartney-Harrison composition wouldn't be entertained, as it might have been pre-Northern Songs.

Going back to The Stones, the majority of 60s Jagger-Richard songs would have been ho-hum (i.e. like post-60s Stones songs!) if it hadn't been for Brian's contribution e.g. 'Paint It, Black', 'Under My Thumb', 'Ruby Tuesday', 'Lady Jane', 'No Expectations', and Bill Wyman apparently came up with the riff for 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' but didn't receive a writing credit (how does that work?).

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 11:51:39 PM »

I think George was jealous that Paul was so much better then him at everything.

Bobber

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »

Ha! I have somehow missed this thread altogether when it was actual! Interesting points. Btw Ringo did play on Paul's album Tug Of War. I don't recall George and Paul ever being on the same record after the Beatles split up. Well, besides the songs that came with the Anthology project, Free As A Bird and Real Love.

George never looked happy during the Anthology jam, neither did Ringo. Paul seems to be the only one who's enthusiastic about the whole thing. The chat they have around the table seems more natural. I recall an interview the Dutch presenter Ivo Niehe had with George in 1988. Towards the end, George mentions he is late for dinner. With Paul and Ringo.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDwsDa0wC0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDwsDa0wC0</a>

Bobber

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »

Ha! I have somehow missed this thread altogether when it was actual! Interesting points. Btw Ringo did play on Paul's album Tug Of War. I don't recall George and Paul ever being on the same record after the Beatles split up. Well, besides the songs that came with the Anthology project, Free As A Bird and Real Love.

Wait! Paul and George were together on George's All Those Years Ago in 1981.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNFQxgJc8Qw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNFQxgJc8Qw</a>

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »

Nimrod I'm sure I heard in an interview that George was asked to be involved in Give My Regards to Broadstreet but he (wisely I think) turned Paul down. George's involvement in films has been a lot more artistically successful.

Also you say Paul was trying to be all of The Beatles in that video but Coming Up wasn't a Beatles song or am I missing something?

Bobber

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 08:58:28 AM »

Nimrod I'm sure I heard in an interview that George was asked to be involved in Give My Regards to Broadstreet but he (wisely I think) turned Paul down. George's involvement in films has been a lot more artistically successful.?

True. Although he did have some unsuccessful projects as well I think.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »

True. Although he did have some unsuccessful projects as well I think.

Shanghai Surprise I think was one.

But his company did give the world Life of Brian, Withnail and I and The Long Good Friday. So I think he wins by a knockout over any cinema ambitions Paul had.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »

Nimrod I'm sure I heard in an interview that George was asked to be involved in Give My Regards to Broadstreet but he (wisely I think) turned Paul down. George's involvement in films has been a lot more artistically successful.

Also you say Paul was trying to be all of The Beatles in that video but Coming Up wasn't a Beatles song or am I missing something?
Sometimes I think Paul's sarcasm can be misconstrued. When he did C-Moon or Hi, Hi, Hi he was censored by the BBC so he put out Mary Had A Little Lamb as a protest, not because that's all he had as he felt they thought his songs should all be Paulie songs. With Coming Up I think the underlying sarcasticness of him playing all the parts could just be his response to the critical accusations of him wanting to be the everything Beatle! It doesn't work so well! Good song though!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 2.06 seconds with 86 queries.