Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What Beatles/Solo Book are you reading?  (Read 13842 times)

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
What Beatles/Solo Book are you reading?
« on: June 19, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »

Thought this would be interesting this morning I finished Phillip Norman's The Life of John Lennon and I'm now started reading George Harrison Behind The Locked Door.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: What Beatles/Solo Book are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 03:13:02 AM »

Thought this would be interesting this morning I finished Phillip Norman's The Life of John Lennon and I'm now started reading George Harrison Behind The Locked Door.

Is the George one  by Graeme Thompson? (There are two similarly named book on George). If it is I liked that one. A good bio.

I've just started Maximum Volume, the first part of a two book bio of George Martin.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 12:36:28 AM »

This past weekend, I started reading "Once there was a way:  What if the Beatles stayed together," by Bryce Zabel (2017).

My only problem is accepting his imaginary assumptions which not only project into the future but somewhat modify what actually had already happened.  I won't give any clues but I intend to finish the book.  I really want to read about what he imagines they might have done further down the road.

I'm also wondering if Yoko remains in the picture or not.  I haven't read that many pages yet.

Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 05:48:00 PM »

I just noticed there's a books thread in Different Conversations.  Where should we post to??

KelMar

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 05:15:13 AM »

I just noticed there's a books thread in Different Conversations.  Where should we post to??

That’s a general book discussion thread.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 02:00:29 PM »

Oh, okay.  That makes sense.  Thanks and good morning to you!  Happy Sunday.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 11:50:52 PM »

Below I was talking about the book that speculates about the Beatles having remained together and never breaking up.  I felt that a lot of people could write a book like this because it's just your theories anyway.  So, I thought I'd try my hand at it.  Here is a brief story I came up with.  I hope someone out there enjoys reading it.

Return of the Beatles.  (by loco mo)

The Beatles had broken up and it seemed it would be permanent.  As much as fans hoped they’d get back together, an overall feeling of pessimism tended to overshadow that hope.

Many believed that as long as John remained with Yoko the Beatles could never re-band.

In this imaginary history, however, something strange and unexpected happened.  Yoko disappeared.

That’s right.  She just disappeared.  At first, John thought she had left him or just went away for a while in order to have some distance from him.  Their relationship had seen some difficult times so a temporary separation would not seem too unusual.

But time passed, weeks and then months and no word from Yoko.  At a point, John alerted law enforcement and the search was on for Yoko.  Had she been abducted by a crazed fan who blamed her for breaking up the Beatles?  Did she just decide to go somewhere and live an anonymous life apart from the unrelenting and oftentimes negative celebrity spotlight?

There were no notes or messages left for John.  There were no clues.  John was distraught.  Some people even speculated that John had done her in during a fight.  He had a somewhat turbulent and violent period in his life when he was younger.  Was he capable doing this and then covering it up somehow by paying accomplices to keep the crime a secret?

After trying to avoid publicizing Yoko’s disappearance for some time, word got out and everyone was talking about Yoko being missing.  Many fans who didn’t like Yoko nevertheless sympathized with John and offered notes of empathy and letters of support.  No one wished her ill in terms like this.  Fans really just wanted the Beatles back together.  Now, many were saying that they just wanted John to be happy and if that meant Yoko’s return in his life, then so be it.

But more time went by and the missing Yoko became a cryptic mystery which many people the world over were trying to solve.  It was a fascinating puzzle because it didn’t make much sense that Yoko would have chosen to remove herself from the public eye.  Because of this, most speculators envisioned foul play as the cause.   Maybe a crazed fan believed that if he got rid of Yoko, the Beatles would get back together.  That was a very popular theory.

Even so, John held out hope.  He offered a reward to anyone who could help unravel her whereabouts or lack of whereabouts (assuming the worst case scenario of a terminated life).

But John grew increasingly gloomy as time passed by and he began to feel very alone.  It was during this time that John thought about his stint as a Beatle.  He began to remember the affinity they shared together.  They were family to him at one time, not just band mates.  John was starting to miss what they used to have together.

John felt like giving up on everything.  He felt like his life was empty without Yoko.  He was so attached to her.  There was no one to take her place and he wasn’t looking for anyone to do that.

But John kept thinking about the Beatles and wondered if it would help if he and they got together and sang a few songs.  So, John got on the phone.  “Hey, Paul, this is John.”

Months afterward, a rumor was spreading wildly that the Beatles had gotten together and recorded some new songs.  Maybe they recorded an album.  And Yoko was still missing.

To be continued maybe. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 11:53:45 PM by Loco Mo »

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 04:40:32 AM »

Oh, okay.  That makes sense.  Thanks and good morning to you!  Happy Sunday.

You’re welcome.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 12:35:54 AM »

This past weekend, I started reading "Once there was a way:  What if the Beatles stayed together," by Bryce Zabel (2017).

My only problem is accepting his imaginary assumptions which not only project into the future but somewhat modify what actually had already happened.  I won't give any clues but I intend to finish the book.  I really want to read about what he imagines they might have done further down the road.

I'm also wondering if Yoko remains in the picture or not.  I haven't read that many pages yet.

I read this a while back. It was only $1.99 on kindle or something. The author is doing a series of “what if” novels. He did another on JFK surviving the assassination attempt. It’s pretty cheesy but fun enough for a light read. It lost me a bit when they had Steve Jobs working for the Beatles’ Apple (how did they think of that) in the 70s and him referring to things like “social networks” literally in quotation marks.

You’re right that, once you get past the early seventies where you can postulate on potential next moves by the Beatles with some confidence, the plot points descend into just making sh*t up (pardon my French).

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 07:16:45 AM by Moogmodule »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 12:46:35 AM »

Below I was talking about the book that speculates about the Beatles having remained together and never breaking up.  I felt that a lot of people could write a book like this because it's just your theories anyway.  So, I thought I'd try my hand at it.  Here is a brief story I came up with.  I hope someone out there enjoys reading it.

Return of the Beatles.  (by loco mo

(...)

To be continued maybe.

I’m liking your plot better than the other book Loco. It makes the central issue the mystery of the disappearance of Yoko, with the reunion sort of a sideline.

Of course isn’t it obvious they’ll eventually find Yoko tied up in Paul’s basement. Next to the real Paul. Because of course it’s been Faul all this time.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:48:48 AM by Moogmodule »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 06:24:02 AM »

I’m liking your plot better than the other book Loco. It makes the central issue the mystery of the disappearance of Yoko, with the reunion sort of a sideline.

Of course isn’t it obvious they’ll eventually find Yoko tied up in Paul’s basement. Next to the real Paul. Because of course it’s been Faul all this time.
Real Paul is dead Moog. roll:)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 06:28:43 AM »

Real Paul is dead Moog. roll:)

Maybe ...  glassesslip

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 12:36:38 AM »

I found that one of the creepiest clues when I was a youngun.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 08:03:18 PM »

Yeah, Moog.  And a couple of months later when we played the Yellow Submarine LP backwards, we heard this...

https://youtu.be/73lj5qJbrms

https://youtu.be/qsBk8iaPAVc

https://youtu.be/TOb0giGydZc

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 11:15:15 PM »

And they sound so cheerful about it  ha2ha

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 01:20:39 AM »

And they sound so cheerful about it  ha2ha

The crowd sounds even more cheerful when you listen to them chanting backwards at the end of I Am The Walrus...

https://youtu.be/vpoY3awRPmY

Ha ha Paul is dead...Ha ha Paul is dead...

;D

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 12:06:08 AM »

Moog:  I like your plot twist about my story in which Yoko is found tied up in a basement next to the real Paul.  This made me think instantly of Scooby Doo where they had the craziest plots and where the most zany, magical and improbable situations could happen.  For example, they could change into amazing disguises in an instant.

If I wrote the story plot line you suggest, it'd probably be very silly and comical.  Now that's not at all me, Loco Mo, who is by nature very introspective, withdrawn, socially isolated and somewhat diffident.  Why, I'm too shy to look at myself in the mirror.  But let me ask you this, who can face the man in the mirror?

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 10:44:39 PM »

Moog:  I finally finished reading "Once there was a way."  I put it away for weeks and then picked it up and couldn't stop reading it.  The more I read it the more I felt like the Beatles could never have gotten back together.  There was just too much stuff going on.

The author takes a certain approach with the Beatles in which they work together despite all their differences.  We didn't see this in real life but in a book of fiction, you can imagine it.

I'd like to read more books of this type.  I read that there's one called "Paperback Writer" that's supposed to be very good.  Trouble is it's out of print and copies of it on Amazon are expensive.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 03:19:04 AM »

Moog:  I finally finished reading "Once there was a way."  I put it away for weeks and then picked it up and couldn't stop reading it.  The more I read it the more I felt like the Beatles could never have gotten back together.  There was just too much stuff going on.

The author takes a certain approach with the Beatles in which they work together despite all their differences.  We didn't see this in real life but in a book of fiction, you can imagine it.

I'd like to read more books of this type.  I read that there's one called "Paperback Writer" that's supposed to be very good.  Trouble is it's out of print and copies of it on Amazon are expensive.

I’ve heard about Paperback Writer too but never read it. It’s supposed to be more funny/satirical and by all accounts is very good. It’s a pity it’s not out at least on a kindle version.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.686 seconds with 78 queries.