Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Help! DVD Release in OCTOBER!  (Read 11447 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Help! DVD Release in OCTOBER!
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2007, 10:58:44 PM »

I hope I get it for Christmas :)
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2007, 03:47:36 PM »

I got it in the mail the other day from Amazon.com (havent had time to open it yet)..no rush, I've seen it probably 70 times during the course of my life (and had VHS copy for ages)

just wanted to make sure I had DVD copy for posterity.

lotta wonderful memories in Help ! for me.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2007, 03:00:47 AM »

I just got this as a gift today from one of my students. I'm excited. Too tired to watch it now. The extras that is. I've seen the movie a zillion times.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2007, 11:02:35 PM »

i think the extra's could have been slightly better though but a what i'm
i complaining about, it's out on dvd at last!!! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2007, 05:50:26 AM »

I wish the movie had commentary from Paul and Ringo. How cool would that be???????

KevinP69

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2007, 02:45:39 PM »

I can't wait to see it soon. I'm getting it for Christmas.
I thought HELP was a good action packed/comedy film and not as bad as some say.  I know it's not A Hard Days Night but I think it stands out well!
It would have been cool if Paul and Ringo commentated on the film.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2007, 09:46:29 PM »

Quote from: 957
It would have been cool if Paul and Ringo commentated on the film.
Muchly so. But I am happy with the extras they did provide. I think Dick Lester is a riot!

I do enjoy my shiny new DVD. I have one extra left to play, but I've seen the rest. I'm happy to have the set.

Question: Does anyone else feel the bass on the songs is overpowering? During "You're Gonna Lose that Girl" I could hardly hear the singers! Does this sound like a really strange mix to anyone else?

Cheers!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2007, 11:07:12 PM »

Quote from: 551
Muchly so. But I am happy with the extras they did provide. I think Dick Lester is a riot!

I do enjoy my shiny new DVD. I have one extra left to play, but I've seen the rest. I'm happy to have the set.

Question: Does anyone else feel the bass on the songs is overpowering? During "You're Gonna Lose that Girl" I could hardly hear the singers! Does this sound like a really strange mix to anyone else?

Cheers!

I love my shiny new dvd too...I mean I presume it's shiny coz I havent taken the plastic wrap off it yet--I have too many other dvds to open before I get to Help! (I can wait--it's not as if I've never seen the film b4)
and Hari, if the bass sounds like you've described...COOL!!! love those strong bass lines. :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2007, 05:18:45 AM »

Quote from: 829
and Hari, if the bass sounds like you've described...COOL!!! love those strong bass lines. :)

You're a big help!  :P ;D

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2007, 10:38:55 AM »

Mine sounds OK. The bass is more noticeable, but not overpowering. Are you sure you haven't got your sub-woofer cranked up too high?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2007, 02:49:32 PM »

Thanks for confirming the bass is more noticeable, BlueMeanie. The first thing I did was check my settings. Then I checked the credits, and it appears they did do a remix for this DVD. So I suppose they boosted the bass because... they expected people to play this DVD over the radio? Play it downstairs while they were busy upstairs? Not sure why. I got used to hearing the songs the original way, but I suppose I can get used to the remix. It's a shame, because I love the Beatles' harmonies and I want to hear the voices up front, not some repetitive dum-dum-dum. I'm not on the dance floor or trying to impress gangsta's in my car, I'm watching a movie.  

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2007, 02:54:25 PM »

... not some repetitive dum-dum-dum.  

!!!! Go to your room and don't come out until you've had a good think about what you've just said.

don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2007, 03:07:23 PM »

*slams bedroom door in a pout * can still hear that throbbing sound from downstairs*

Sorry, Paul, but when you overpower John Lennon's voice, I have to give your song mixer a really nasty glare.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2007, 03:10:41 PM »

Thanks for confirming the bass is more noticeable, BlueMeanie. The first thing I did was check my settings. Then I checked the credits, and it appears they did do a remix for this DVD. So I suppose they boosted the bass because... they expected people to play this DVD over the radio? Play it downstairs while they were busy upstairs? Not sure why. I got used to hearing the songs the original way, but I suppose I can get used to the remix. It's a shame, because I love the Beatles' harmonies and I want to hear the voices up front, not some repetitive dum-dum-dum. I'm not on the dance floor or trying to impress gangsta's in my car, I'm watching a movie.  

They will have done an extensive remix for the 5.1, and for the stereo version. It's likely that both have been derived from a different master tape source than the original CD and vinyl. Contrary to popular belief there was always more than one master tape. Possibly 5 or 6 of them. It was usually considered too risky to use the first master to make the vinyl, so a 4th or 5th generation tape would have been used. Most people don't have a good enough system to be able to tell the difference anyway. Because now it is relatively cheap to have a superior system (compared to the 60's and 70's) any reissues from older material involve going back to the original studio takes, or at the very least a first generation master. You're probably hearing how it was meant to sound in the first place.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2007, 07:13:14 PM »

All good info, Paul! Your conclusion might well be right, even though I'd consider it an act of compensation for the technology. The Beatles songs were meant to be played over the radio, or on cheap record players. And they were often danced to. In all these cases you'd want to go heavier on the bass. It was just a little shocking to hear a tune I knew so well sound so altered. But I've always been a fan of the boys' voices, and so I'm keen to hear the lovely harmonies.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2007, 01:52:47 AM »

I'm used to hearing the bass on that album anyway. I've got a CD of a needle drop from a very good quality American vinyl pressing. The bass hits you in the throat, especially with the sub-woofer on. But it really all sounds so clear that it doesn't drown anything out.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2007, 03:26:07 PM »

Thank goodness we have a solution! Just send me your sound system, and all will be well. :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »

Thank goodness we have a solution! Just send me your sound system, and all will be well. :)

Maybe Santa will be kind to you! ;D

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2007, 06:52:19 PM »

I hope I've got it for Christmas, although there is so much beatle merchandise to choose from these days! Hope the bass has been beefed up. He's quite a good bassist y'know  ;D
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2007, 06:58:01 PM »

Quote from: 158
Hope the bass has been beefed up. He's quite a good bassist y'know  ;D

You won't be disappointed.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 84 queries.