Other forums > Current Affairs

Kosovo Independence

<< < (3/3)

Kevin:

--- Quote from: 15 ---Thanks for your real perspective Nousha. My humble thoughts are with you. Many countries take their stability for granted. Much respect & hope. x  :B
--- End quote ---

Agreed. and also a very levelled headed analysis from someone so close to the consequences. All the best.

nousha:
Thank you a lot :)

I'll try to give some facts today - Bulgaria, Croatia and Hungary made a joint statement and will recognize Kosovo. First neighbouring countries to do this. It will be voted tomorrow in our Parliament, I think. 100 intelectuals signed an open letter to express their indignation. Most politicians said they agree.
Consequences: I wanted to go for a Nick Cave concert in Belgrade in June. In the morning a friend of mine send me a message - "See the news. End of our plans for Belgrade." We wont go there - we are afraid, we're going to have problems there. Serbian embassador in Bulgaria said that every country that recognizes Kosovo could not expect good relationships with Serbia. And Serbian people will not be very happy to see Bulgarians in their country although only the politics took the decision. Once again, like during the war, we are going to avoid entering Serbia. I can't believe this is happening.

I talked to a friend in Greece. He says Albania is claiming part of Macedonia now, by the same reasons that made Kosovo independent. A part ot Romania wants to split because ot ethnic reasons. I and the Greek friend of mine we think of Thrace - a common area of the two countries and Turkey, where there are a lot of Muslims.
I'd like to add that never in the past neither Macedonia, nor Thrace have been part of anything else than Bulgaria and Greece (we still argue about theese lands ;) but a Bulgarian proverb says: When two are in a fight for something, it's the third one who wins.
With the precedent of Kosovo it becomes easier for such territories to split.
My friend said "Our only hope is Russia". Ironically, because after communist regime a lot of people here don't love the country, although it helped us and Greece to fight the Turkish empire in order to regain our freedom (after 500 years of yoke) and then in the 40s to fight the Nazis.
Serbians too rely on Russia.

Reporting from the Balkans, your newswoman ;) Nousha   (beammeup)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version