Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33

Author Topic: Bob Dylan!  (Read 127956 times)

McLennon

• Getting Better
  • There are 7 levels!
Re: Bob Dylan!
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2007, 03:52:35 PM »

Quote from: 9
I liked what Bob had to say about Paul.  Coming from Bob, well, that show's you where Paul really ranks--no matter what detractors may say.   Thanks for the link, Sandra.

BTW, there's a good bootleg of Bob and George doing "Yesterday" which some have called a send-up or a joke.  I think it's a fairly serious version, with Dylan really singing it (maybe thinking of using it on "Self-Portrait").  I also think it's a great adaptation that someone alt-country flavored should try out.  

Course I can't hear Bob doing "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" but who knows--maybe he could pull it off.

yes, i have that bootleg of bob and George singing yesterday! its really good! do you know when it was from? possibly the basement tapes? are there anymore covers that bob done of the beatles?

I know the beatles sang "blowin in the wind", "positvly forth street" from dylans list! they are cool! not too clear though!

I think thats really cool what Bob said about McCartney, i always got the impression that Bob didn't respect McCartney as i don't think he has ever played with him? he has with george and stuff so assumed he was closer with him which is probably true, i just don't see bob to be one of those people who likes Pauls ballad songs!
There are 7 levels!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »

Quote from: 544

I think thats really cool what Bob said about McCartney, i always got the impression that Bob didn't respect McCartney as i don't think he has ever played with him? he has with george and stuff so assumed he was closer with him which is probably true, i just don't see bob to be one of those people who likes Pauls ballad songs!

I think that had more to do with Paul's decision not to surround himself with superstars post breakup. And George had hung out with Bob prior to the split. I may be wrong, but I don't think John did anything with Dylan (?)
don't follow leaders

McLennon

• Getting Better
  • There are 7 levels!
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2007, 04:02:16 PM »

Quote from: 185

I think that had more to do with Paul's decision not to surround himself with superstars post breakup. And George had hung out with Bob prior to the split. I may be wrong, but I don't think John did anything with Dylan (?)

thats a true point, I always just think bob and john did something after the car scene and similar styles but maybe they didn't perform together! obviously george had the travelling wilbury's!
I saw that in some paul interview a few days back that when Paul had formed wings he didn't want a group of famous people which would have been too easy or something, and wanted just decent people who were less known! i think he made a wise choice on that one!
There are 7 levels!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2007, 04:11:05 PM »

thats a true point, I always just think bob and john did something after the car scene  

You mean in '66? Poor old John - I think the thought of doing anything with Bob would have mortified him. I think John was in awe of him, and scared sh*tless. Bob would have torn him to shreds.
There's that scene in the Dylan movie (the name escapes me) when he's in the room with Donovan, and he's pretty merciless towards him. I think he regarded them (rightly or wrongly) as imitatators and was rather contemptious of them
don't follow leaders

McLennon

• Getting Better
  • There are 7 levels!
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2007, 04:14:55 PM »

You mean in '66? Poor old John - I think the thought of doing anything with Bob would have mortified him. I think John was in awe of him, and scared sh*tless. Bob would have torn him to shreds.
There's that scene in the Dylan movie (the name escapes me) when he's in the room with Donovan, and he's pretty merciless towards him. I think he regarded them (rightly or wrongly) as imitatators and was rather contemptious of them

in "don't look back"? i have got that, i don't remember him mentioning the beatles, or maybe actually, during an interview!
the only simulairty would have to be norwegian wood/fourth time round and i'm a loser!
There are 7 levels!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »

in "don't look back"? i have got that, i don't remember him mentioning the beatles, or maybe actually, during an interview!
the only simulairty would have to be norwegian wood/fourth time round and i'm a loser!

No sorry, I meant he was merciless towards Donovan. Knowing Bob, and reading how John was so nervous about meeting Dylan in that cab (he was sure Dylan was setting him up) that it wouldn't have gone well.
Do you really think those songs are the only ones that are similar? I hear many more. John  changed the way he sang - lowering his voice - in a bid to be Dylanish. He wore a Bob Dylan hat. Girl, Help!, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away ( a real showcase for John's growly Dylan-voice)
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2007, 08:08:34 AM »

I saw that in some paul interview a few days back that when Paul had formed wings he didn't want a group of famous people which would have been too easy or something, and wanted just decent people who were less known! i think he made a wise choice on that one!

I know that Paul said that but I still think it's crap. He didn't want anyone taking the focus away from him. Whereas George was quite happy to sit back and be the sideman at times, Paul would never have been happy with that. Even in The Beatles! Witness how out of place and uncomfortable he looks on Concert For George because he's not the main man.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2007, 07:22:50 PM »

I don't agree with that assessment at all. I think it would have looked ridiculous for Paul to put together some kind of super group right after the demise of the Beatles. George at least waited many years before taking that leap so it worked better. And even then it was more of a novelty act or something. I think Paul would be more than willing to share the spotlight if he found another partner he could fit with. I don't think it's so easy for him to go from the type of working relationship he had with John, George and Ringo to something subpar. He did try something with Elvis Costello. That worked out fairly good for both of them. At any rate, I think it's rough being a Beatle and NOT being the center of attention. Especially for Lennon or McCartney. You notice John was never into the super group thing much either. Other than for a joke. George was the quiet one, so of course it was easier for him to blend.

Also, I don't think he felt out of place because he wasn't the center of attention at the Concert for George. I think that had more to do with tensions from past relationships and things like that. He was pretty laid back and supportive. I mean, stick Paul McCartney on a piano so Clapton can showcase himself? I think he handled it pretty well. And another thing about the concert and Dylan. Why are people getting on Dylan for not appearing? He did his own tribute during his show at Madison Square Garden. He sang Something and spoke about his friend. I mean, does he have to go make a public appearance to show his respects? How do we know what he did in private? None of the Harrison family seemed to be offended about it. It was all Clapton's doing anyway. It was his way to make himself feel better. How many of them or even Beatles showed up to the Lennon tribute?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2007, 08:05:13 PM »

Wait a minute. I'm confused. Is it the wake that Paul didn't go to, or Concert for George, or both? Or does the concert count as a wake? None of the wakes I've gone to were like that.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2007, 10:01:26 PM »

Quote from: 218
Wait a minute. I'm confused. Is it the wake that Paul didn't go to, or Concert for George, or both? Or does the concert count as a wake? None of the wakes I've gone to were like that.

Bob didn't go to The Wake (Concert For George).

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2007, 10:19:33 PM »

I somehow don't think George had a conventional wake Mairi.

The Concert was basically a 'wake'.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2007, 08:19:19 AM »

Quote from: 216
I don't agree with that assessment at all. I think it would have looked ridiculous for Paul to put together some kind of super group right after the demise of the Beatles. George at least waited many years before taking that leap so it worked better.

The personel on All Things Must Pass:
don't follow leaders

McLennon

• Getting Better
  • There are 7 levels!
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2007, 01:35:17 PM »

Quote from: 483

I know that Paul said that but I still think it's crap. He didn't want anyone taking the focus away from him. Whereas George was quite happy to sit back and be the sideman at times, Paul would never have been happy with that. Even in The Beatles! Witness how out of place and uncomfortable he looks on Concert For George because he's not the main man.

Well I would agree with Paul even if he didn't want the focus taken off him, i respect him enough to think he should deserve much focus on him, I mean yes its good to work with others but i agree with sandra, it would have been too much of a leap to go streight in with others! and he done stuff with jackson and many famous people but do you think Paul would have had as good a songs on his albums or taken the same route of creativeness if he had others along side him! His albums show his thinking and contribution, had other famous stars helped on alot of his stuff it could have ruined it! I think having the band like he does now with rusty and abe shows alot more excitement and creativeness then it would do anyway with him along side clapton or someone!
There are 7 levels!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2007, 02:11:48 PM »

, I mean yes its good to work with others but i agree with sandra, it would have been too much of a leap to go streight in with others!

But John and George did and made what are generally considered the best works of their solo careers. Paul didn't and made McCartney and Wild Life.
don't follow leaders

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2007, 07:47:29 PM »

The personel on All Things Must Pass:

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2007, 08:59:06 PM »

I think Paul basically wanted bandmates who would play what he told them to play.  And smile, dammit!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2007, 10:12:20 PM »

Aww, you guys just won't give Paul a break will you!!   ;)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2007, 12:33:22 AM »

Quote from: 483

Bob didn't go to The Wake (Concert For George).

I meant to say Bob in that last post, but I think everyone knew that right?

Anyway, now that I know that the Concert was considered George's wake, I can't really get too upset with Bob. Everyone has different ways of dealing with grief, and Bob especially is notoriously private about his personal life. You can't expect him to grieve openly the way, say, Paul did with Linda, or Clapton did with his son. Not everyone wants to make a big public affair of their losses.  You're being a little hard on him. I'm sure he spoke privately with Olivia and Dhani.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2007, 12:48:03 AM »

You don't ave to live on your sense of greif
As it won't ever die on your own belief

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2007, 02:55:11 AM »

Quote from: 216
Even when George brought up forming a band again after playing for him John thought it was a bad idea. He said he was embarrassed for him for even thinking he would consider such a move.  
If I understand the situation, John was disappointed that George would ask him to be in a band that did not include Yoko.  John said (paraphrasing), "George knows that I don't want to do anything without Yoko." It wasn't the band that John was objecting to so much, as a band without Yoko in it.

One of my regrets is that both John and George did not form a band again after the Beatles broke up (I mean just any band, not a band with both of them in it). George is an incredibly social creature, and he enjoyed it when he played with other players.  I think John also did better when he had other people around him than just Yoko.  I think just the two of them tended to get rather isolated in their own world. John was a tricky beast to coax out of his shell.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 78 queries.