Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Norman Chapman  (Read 40647 times)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Norman Chapman
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2008, 09:05:30 PM »

thanks again...i'll get back on subject after a dump run....garbage dumping is no fun...

lilian chapman

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2008, 11:34:10 PM »

many apologies for not knowing who Bill Harry was! ive just googled him!  (oooh matron!) lol!
i remember the mag and may even have a few in the house somewhere!
 again my sisters would have been the ones to buy it!

Bobber

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2008, 01:05:37 PM »

Welcome Lilian! Hope you stick around in here.

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2008, 01:11:25 PM »

Hello Everyone,
I am quite impressed also at this site. Norman Chapman was also my uncle, being Lilians sister, I am glad to see she has posted here. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Ann Marie? When I left UK to come to America, she was so young and we had never kept in touch.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »

thanks for joining in lass...hopefully we can get the story straight now...how long ago did you move to the u s???
and thanks again lil for joining in the discussions...if you are ever in florida...the teas on me.... ;) lil..you didn't know who bill was????????i find that very funny...bill keeps a low profile i guess..one guy in england once told me he thought that bill had died...i told no he was alive and kicking...he was surprised...but any how i hope you girls also get reaccquainted with the rest of the family....this is a great thing...

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2008, 04:51:03 PM »

I have only painted one oil painting in my life. It was a painting I did of Virginia in 1960. I took it to the framers opposite the Jacaranda to get it framed. I believe it was Norman who framed it. I still have it. Did you know that Norman's drums are on display at the Jacaranda?
If Lilian can find one, I'd love to see a photograph of Norman as he was in the early Sixties.

Bobber

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2008, 01:40:19 PM »

Quote from: 1794
i have great memories of parties in the 80s at Alan and Beryl Willaims house being entertained by Bob Wooler and even having a wonderfull calypso, about me,   sung to me by Lord Woodbin

Lilian, we are very interested in stories (and pictures!) of and about Lord Woodbine as well! Please share!

Bobber

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2008, 01:41:29 PM »

Quote from: 1800
Hello Everyone,
I am quite impressed also at this site. Norman Chapman was also my uncle, being Lilians sister, I am glad to see she has posted here. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Ann Marie? When I left UK to come to America, she was so young and we had never kept in touch.

Thanks and welcome. Please stick around! I have Ann Marie's e-mailaddress and will send it in a PM to you later.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »

A big welcome to all the Chapman family!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »

Honoured to have you around. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2008, 04:15:45 PM »

Welcome aboard!  :)

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2008, 11:56:16 PM »

PC31 wrote:

thanks for joining in lass...hopefully we can get the story straight now...how long ago did you move to the u s???
and thanks again lil for joining in the discussions...if you are ever in florida...the teas on me....  lil..you didn't know who bill was????????i find that very funny...bill keeps a low profile i guess..one guy in england once told me he thought that bill had died...i told no he was alive and kicking...he was surprised...but any how i hope you girls also get reaccquainted with the rest of the family....this is a great thing...

My what a nice welcome. Thanks to all.

I came to the United States in 1965, I was quite young but not too young to have experienced the musical explosion in Liverpool of all of the other groups of the time.
Oh boy, when I think back I remember the Iron Door, The Temple, as well as the mentioned Jacaranda Club. My sister used to sneak me in to listen to our Uncle Norman who was playng there at the time.

And of course, there was  the infamous Cavern!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2008, 03:46:50 AM »

nothing about the casbah??give mona at least a little credit.....i remember learning about these clubs,that they were in somebodys basement...man that must have been loud.....didn't the neighbors ever complain or were they invited too????
isn't also true some of those club served no alcohol,but tea and coffee?????the misconception some have is they all served beer....who else have you've seen in those show?you probally saw lots of up and comings....i grew up on country music myself and still listen to it to this day...but i dig that mersey beat...old rockabilly is a personal passion...i think the only thing that transends the beauty of music is the feeling you get when you share it...keep warm safe in dry in your endevours girls and keep us updated...and ps what color eyes have yous' got...my are brown.... ;)

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2009, 11:57:08 PM »

Quote from: 284
nothing about the casbah??give mona at least a little credit.....i remember learning about these clubs,that they were in somebodys basement...man that must have been loud.....didn't the neighbors ever complain or were they invited too????
isn't also true some of those club served no alcohol,but tea and coffee?????the misconception some have is they all served beer....who else have you've seen in those show?you probally saw lots of up and comings....i grew up on country music myself and still listen to it to this day...but i dig that mersey beat...old rockabilly is a personal passion...i think the only thing that transends the beauty of music is the feeling you get when you share it...keep warm safe in dry in your endevours girls and keep us updated...and ps what color eyes have yous' got...my are brown.... ;)

Was the Casbah a coffee shop? I seem to remember that we spent lots of itme in a coffee shop on Bold Street. It did look very "Casbah" Otherwise I cannot help you, or Mona. Sorry! :-)
To some degree you are correct though! The basements were not in a residential area. They were in the center of Liverpool and away from any homes.
There were lots of pubs and clubs in the middle of Liverpool, some were located in cellars which were more like caves and perfect for loud music. Usually they were beneath another business. It was in cellars like this, that the clubs were located. If my memory serves me correctly, the Cavern was in a wine cellar.
I also recall that the Iron Door was in an upstairs location on a side street in sort of an alley. But I cant recall what was downstairs. I can only remember that there were steps leading to this big iron door.
Yes, they used to serve just tea or coffee and soft drinks which you bought at the counter. And after you paid your entrance fee, which was usually a few shillings, you could stay there all night long if you wished.
BTW, my eyes are green..

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »

sweet!!!green!!!!is that from an irish ancestor mayhaps????when i was growing up concerts were usually outside or in a theater...sometimes a school would host them and the bars always had friday shows...i once went to an allman brothers concert in the middle of a cow pasture...and there were mushrooms growing there which some of us patrons ingested and washed down with whiskey...it was a benefit concert for a kid that was hit on his bike....then there were garage parties,sort of like your basements because we don't have basements in florida...and this is me,last year sometime... a black haired brown eyed handsome man...
2DWU8zvk2Zo

what kind of music do you listen to???i listen to country,rockabilly and rock and roll mainly.... ;)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »

What happened with this thread?? ???

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »

What happened with this thread?? ???

Xosé

What's wrong? It went off topic somewhat but that's not unusual.

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2010, 02:58:22 AM »

pc31, were you flirting with a stranger over the Internet? Careful not to scare off anyone we might want information from... :P

This is all very interesting, to the point where I've kept my fiancée waiting. I told her I'd go to bed and call her cell phone to say goodnight within a few minutes, and it's been more than a few minutes. I better go...  ;sorry

Bobber

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »

I forget to tell you all that Bill and Liverbird have been in contact after all.

Xose, Bill might have a renewed entry on Norman Chapman and might be able to help you.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2010, 10:32:17 AM »

Xose, Bill might have a renewed entry on Norman Chapman and might be able to help you.

Thanks Bobber!! ;)

I wrote to him, but no replay so far...

Xosé
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Page created in 0.621 seconds with 76 queries.