Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Geneaology  (Read 4740 times)

KelMar

Geneaology
« on: July 12, 2013, 03:47:11 AM »

Quote from: Dcazz
Quote from: In My Life on October 09, 2012, 12:46:14 AM

I can't lay claim to that myself; the kids are related to Samuel Adams on the other side of the family. But there was a relative in my maternal grandmother's  family who thought she might be able to prove eligibility for the DAR. She never finished her research and somehow my mom ended up with the letters and documents she collected. They are somewhere in my attic. Maybe some day I'll see if I can continue with it.

That would be a worthy endevour. I think a DAR certificate would make an excellant Christmas or birthday gift when the time is right. My wife and her family are descended from Gen. John Stark and she has the certificate somewhere. It's very interesting.

I finally have started and you're right Dave; it's very interesting! Just Googling has allowed me to find ancestors in the time of Henry VIII! The ones who came from England to the US had a daughter who was tried for witchcraft in 1695 in Connecticut! She was lucky; she was acquitted but the court of public opinion never found her innocent. Apparently there are accounts of this in several books on the subject of witchcraft trials. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me to document all this but I think it will fun. I'm signing up for Ancestory.com this weekend.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Geneaology
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »

I finally have started and you're right Dave; it's very interesting! Just Googling has allowed me to find ancestors in the time of Henry VIII! The ones who came from England to the US had a daughter who was tried for witchcraft in 1695 in Connecticut! She was lucky; she was acquitted but the court of public opinion never found her innocent. Apparently there are accounts of this in several books on the subject of witchcraft trials. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me to document all this but I think it will fun. I'm signing up for Ancestory.com this weekend.
That's great! Keep us informed with what you find out!
I get a kick out of our Caswell ancestry. I believe our earliest ancestors was Cassivallaunus who was the Chieftan of the Cantalluvian(?) tribe in SE Britain. He unified the other tribes to fight Julius Caesar in 54 BC. There is a mention of his father before that but I can't remember his name. In Wales he is known as Casswallon and is a legendary figure of ancient lore.
I have no idea where I fit into this but it's fun to think...!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:39:15 PM »

That's great! Keep us informed with what you find out!
I have no idea where I fit into this but it's fun to think...!

I will Dave. Your history is interesting too. Yes it is fun to ponder but unfortunately I read this stuff at night and all my pondering makes it hard to sleep! It's just so exciting. Apparently this ancestor has had a lot written about her. Her name was Mary Bliss Parsons: http://ccbit.cs.umass.edu/parsons/hnmockup/home.html
She was a tough old broad!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:54:23 PM »

I will Dave. Your history is interesting too. Yes it is fun to ponder but unfortunately I read this stuff at night and all my pondering makes it hard to sleep! It's just so exciting. Apparently this ancestor has had a lot written about her. Her name was Mary Bliss Parsons: http://ccbit.cs.umass.edu/parsons/hnmockup/home.html
Northampton is about 75 miles from where I live. Back then I think a lot of the odd(unique) personalities went out this way to be away from civilization.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 01:36:47 AM »

Interesting subject that I know little about. As far as I can roughly gather my Paternal Great Grandparents were from Dorset and possibly  roll:) Ireland/Oxfordshire and Maternal Great Grandparents Cardiff  roll:) docks/Devon and Bristol/Kent.

I look like a Jute.

I wonder if a Eugenics thread would get as much up-take as this one?

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »

I have been reading your Mary's site a bit lately and knowing what I know about this area since I moved here can sympathize with her quite a bit!
This area in the 1600's was the end of the world! The people who came here were either hunter/trappers, farmers looking for better land, adventurers or crazies/criminals that were driven out of the more structured or civilized area's like Salem or Boston area's. For a wealthy family to move out here at the time would not only be risky for them because of the Indian Wars, French(Quebec) antagonism but from the residents themselves. In a society that had so many pressures(let's not forget disease) just to survive the day a newcomer that had money would be fair game for the mentality of the day! If Mr. Parsons didn't hire someone they could hate him, a hungry person might hate him because he had plenty of food just for a couple of examples. Being out on the frontier, justice could be slow to non existent.
One other thing that many of us don't consider that in the Puritan world of the day, gossip, slander, fabricating lies and manipulating for bad intent was what was considered "conjuring"! In fairness this practice was a serious concern because it could be so devastating to a small town always on the brink of starvation or war that it was necessary to maintain a cohesiveness in the town or area for survival. This was not always fair but just how it was. These accusations had to be addressed and that's how they did it. The poorer uneducated frontiers people probably didn't even realized this was happening, they were just going with what they thought was right. Superstition and fear ruled the day back then and it's how it was.

Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 02:03:28 PM »

Interesting subject that I know little about. As far as I can roughly gather my Paternal Great Grandparents were from Dorset and possibly  roll:) Ireland/Oxfordshire and Maternal Great Grandparents Cardiff  roll:) docks/Devon and Bristol/Kent.

I look like a Jute.

I wonder if a Eugenics thread would get as much up-take as this one?
Probably would! I have connections to either Somerset area or Guernsey and Ulster on my Irish side. A little Swiss and Scot for good measure!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »

You all have interesting -- and distinguished! -- family histories. I'm descended from an Irish family and a Lithuanian family who came to the States in the 1800s, as far as I know. I've always been tempted to sign up for Ancestry.com to try and learn more.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »

You all have interesting -- and distinguished! -- family histories. I'm descended from an Irish family and a Lithuanian family who came to the States in the 1800s, as far as I know. I've always been tempted to sign up for Ancestry.com to try and learn more.
You probably have a good chance to find your ancestors if they came through Ellis Island! In the 1800's that's where most European immigrants came through. You can dabble without joining for a while and contact the members if something jumps out at you that might be connected. There are many very helpful people there too, just like here.
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »

I have been reading your Mary's site a bit lately and knowing what I know about this area since I moved here can sympathize with her quite a bit!

Unfortunately it looks like the family tree we saw that suggested we are related to Mary had a serious error in it. It was correct up until Thankful Moon, whose maiden name had been a big mystery for many years. We now know it was Clark but someone put a Thankful Gardner in this tree and she's the link to Mary. It was a good lesson to my daughter and I both though! Still, I know we do go back to early New England so your insights are much appreciated! I wish Mary was in my tree; she was one strong lady!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »

Unfortunately it looks like the family tree we saw that suggested we are related to Mary had a serious error in it. It was correct up until Thankful Moon, whose maiden name had been a big mystery for many years. We now know it was Clark but someone put a Thankful Gardner in this tree and she's the link to Mary. It was a good lesson to my daughter and I both though! Still, I know we do go back to early New England so your insights are much appreciated! I wish Mary was in my tree; she was one strong lady!
That's funny. There is a Gardner, Mass not too far from there. I live in Fitch Farm (originally) on Fitch Rd. whose town namesake is Fitchburg, Mass.
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »

I've always been tempted to sign up for Ancestry.com to try and learn more.

I love Ancestry.com for many reasons but I am also finding out a lot from the many free resources that abound on the web. If you are interested I can send you some links. Beware though; once you get started it is highly addictive!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 05:01:47 PM »

I'm sure there are some strong women in you ancestry! Remember, it's like a box of chocolates...
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »

That's funny. There is a Gardner, Mass not too far from there. I live in Fitch Farm (originally) on Fitch Rd. whose town namesake is Fitchburg, Mass.
Sounds like the Fitches were important people. I'm about ready to take this search on the road. Our county's historical society is at the top of my list to visit. It's housed in a building that was once part of the Almshouse. My great granduncle actually lived there in 1880, not as a pauper but as a farm laborer. I was very surprised when I found him in that particular census!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »

Sounds like the Fitches were important people. I'm about ready to take this search on the road. Our county's historical society is at the top of my list to visit. It's housed in a building that was once part of the Almshouse. My great granduncle actually lived there in 1880, not as a pauper but as a farm laborer. I was very surprised when I found him in that particular census!
It seems they were. My knowledge of them is limited but... They were captured by Huron Indians during the French and Indian War. Taken to Canada and held for ransom. John's young son Paul was carried on one of the backs of the Indians and he smelled so bad they agreed to strap him on facing outward so he would stop crying! As a result of the straps he had withered legs as an adult because the straps cut his circulation off. He bought the farm I live on in 1773. His father John was an industrialist and a scallywag of sort having numerous affairs and was run out of Fitchburg and he moved in with his son Paul and lived in Jaffrey for 10 years until the Jaffrey residents ran him out for the same thing! he died somewhere down in Mass's south shore area penniless. This property was sold later and a Master Mason named Amos Shedd built this house in 1800-1. He built most of the mills along the Connecticut River valley. Other Another owner of the house was Benjamin Peirce, the nephew(?) of President Franklin Pierce.
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 05:38:56 PM »

^^^
That is so interesting Dave! I haven't had a chance to look at your Facebook pictures yet but I will soon. It just blows my mind to think of these houses that have been around for so long.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 05:43:06 PM »

^^^
That is so interesting Dave! I haven't had a chance to look at your Facebook pictures yet but I will soon. It just blows my mind to think of these houses that have been around for so long.
It is hard to imagine! The wear on the stair treads attest to it!

Gotta go to work. Talk to you soon!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 06:12:18 AM »

I found my Revolutionary War ancestor tonight, Lt. Benjamin Lynde, Massachusetts Line!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »

I found my Revolutionary War ancestor tonight, Lt. Benjamin Lynde, Massachusetts Line!
Any idea yet as to what town and/or regiment?

I found some basic info on Lt. Ben. He was from Melrose, Mass. There is more info in The History of Middlessex County 1903. pages 211-216
It's a start!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:40:47 PM by Dcazz »
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 02:29:57 AM »

Any idea yet as to what town and/or regiment?

I found some basic info on Lt. Ben. He was from Melrose, Mass. There is more info in The History of Middlessex County 1903. pages 211-216
It's a start!

Yep, I found that too! If you're really interested in him you can look at the U.S. Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files on Ancestry. He died in Springfield, Vermont and these are the records relating to his wife's attempt to receive his pension. It's interesting reading if you can decipher it! Sorry for the long link but it should work.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1995/MIUSA1775D_136187-00559/38049?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3drevwarpbountylandgrants%26h%3d38049%26ti%3d0%26indiv%3dtry%26gss%3dpt%26ssrc%3dpt_t58703797_p44075060943_ktidz0q3d58703797z0q26pidz0q3d44075060943z0q26hidz0q3d81840744004z0q26dbidz0q3d1995z0q26rpidz0q3d38049z0q26ssrcz0q3dptz0q26pgz0q3d32780z0q26pgplz0q3dtidz0q257cpidz0q257chidz0q257cdbidz0q257crpidz0q257cssrcz0q26pgpsz0q3d44075060943_h81840744004&ssrc=pt_t58703797_p44075060943_ktidz0q3d58703797z0q26pidz0q3d44075060943z0q26hidz0q3d81840744004z0q26dbidz0q3d1995z0q26rpidz0q3d38049z0q26ssrcz0q3dptz0q26pgz0q3d32780z0q26pgplz0q3dtidz0q257cpidz0q257chidz0q257cdbidz0q257crpidz0q257cssrcz0q26pgpsz0q3d44075060943_h81840744004&backlabel=ReturnRecord
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.053 seconds with 74 queries.