Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: John Lennon and Manitas de Plata  (Read 1590 times)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
John Lennon and Manitas de Plata
« on: November 27, 2010, 03:58:30 PM »

Rosaura López Lorenzo*, En casa de John Lennon, La Coruña, Hércules, 2005, p. 78 (=I beg your pardon for my bad translation into English):

"...Amongst the few expressions that so gracefully John used in Castilian, it was the name of the flamenco guitar player by whom he had a very fond admiration: Manitas de Plata. But he couldn't understand that I had never heard about him.

- That's impossible, Rosa, Manitas de Plata plays the guitar like anyone. He has to be a star in Spain!!

- Spain is bigger than you figure, John. And not everywhere in Spain** the people listen to flamenco.

- But if Manitas de Plata is a genious! He is a guitar hero! -John insisted and shaked his head as if I myself was comdemned to the ethernal fire by confesing my ignorance..."

Xosé

* As you probably know, Rosaura (=unfortunately, she died in 2006) was the Galician housekeeper who worked for the Lennon's at the Dakota between 1976 and 1980. Her book -in fact, written by two journalists after interviewed her several times between 2001 and 2004- is an absolute 'must' for every Beatlemaniac...

** Rosaura was Galician, and Galicia -my native country in Spain, and where I live- is one of the countries in Spain with no flamenco ttradition...

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 35 queries.