Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 1964: Did Paul Need Inspiration?  (Read 4308 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: 1964: Did Paul Need Inspiration?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 12:33:59 PM »

I can see where you're going with that. It seems that Paul can't hear anything withouit wanting (and generally succeeding) in doing it better himself. Whether the positives outway the negatives is something I can't decide.
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 01:44:26 PM »

i just think once he got an idea into his head about how his song should sound he wasn't going to budge as in his head that is how the song would sound best to him.

and that may have led to him having less songs at the start.

also i think the music that Lennon was writing and the music McCartney was writing was starting to go in different directions after please please me, with the difference being Lennons was closer to the original path than Maccas.

And that probably made it easier for those songs to come across better to the rest of the guys in the band as it wasnt too far of what they had already been making and easier for them to get there parts to it and gte there head round it.

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 02:14:39 PM »

Quote from: 758
i just think once he got an idea into his head about how his song should sound he wasn't going to budge as in his head that is how the song would sound best to him.
That makes sense when you consider how years later Paul drove the others crazy getting Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da and Maxwell's Silver Hammer just the way he wanted.

I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »

Considering MSH I'd agree. Paul accepted the 'change' John made on Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, regarding the piano bit at the start. He might have accepted it because it was John.

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 02:29:07 PM »

Oh, I didn't know John helped with Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da. I do know it wasn't his favourite Paul song!

Bobber

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 02:31:49 PM »

Well, 'helped' is a bit too much... The story goes that indeed John was a bit fed up with the song and played it loud on the piano. That seemed to be exactly what they were looking for. Talking of turning agression into creativeness!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 01:00:27 AM »

Quote from: 63
Well, 'helped' is a bit too much... The story goes that indeed John was a bit fed up with the song and played it loud on the piano. That seemed to be exactly what they were looking for. Talking of turning agression into creativeness!

Somewhere there is a take of 'obadi' with John in exasperation doing the piano bit at the beginning, I'll dig it out.

Welcome WaMoZ. Got fed up waiting around for Beatle Boards? Nice to have you around.

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 03:22:53 AM »

Thanks Blue Meanie. At the moment I'm still hoping Beatleboards will be back soon, but no-one seems to know whats going on with it.

Personally I like ObLaDi because it was one of the first Beatles songs I knew as a child. However I can't stand Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

Bobber

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 09:25:41 PM »

Quote from: 63
Today it occured to me that during the days of Beatlemania, most material was written by John. Looking at A Hard Day's Night, Paul comes up with Can't Buy Me Love, And I Love Her and Things We Said Today. All other songs do have John as the main or only composer. During Fall he came up with She's A Woman (backing I Feel Fine). For Beatles For Sale John wrote the better songs (No Reply, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black, I Don't Want To Spoil The Party) again imho. Paul revisited the 'old' I'll Follow The Sun and What You're Doing. Together they wrote Eight Days A Week and Every Little Thing. The songs for the film Help! aren't too good on Paul's part as well. Another Girl and The Night Before can not stand up against John's Help!, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away and You're Going To Lose That Girl. It wasn't until the session for I've Just Seen A Face, I'm Down and Yesterday that Paul came up with excellent material since Can't Buy Me Love again. It looks as if Paul needed inspiration in the second half of 64 and first half of 65. Any thoughts?

I guess I wasn't so wrong. Without knowing, I almost copied Ian McDonalds thoughts on this. I bumped into it as I was checking some things in Revolution In The Head. I quote from I've Just Seen A Face:
Absorbed in his life with Jane Asher, with whose family he now lodged in Wimpole Street, McCartney had fallen far behind Lennon in output since his solo fling with Can't Buy Me Love eighteen months before. His partner had written The Beatles' last four singles and sung lead on and written a third of Eight Days A Week, an extra single issued only in America. Lennon's album material, too, had become deeper, more original, and more varied. While never struck for production ideas, McCartney had ground to halt with his songwriting, only She's A Woman standing out among his contributions since Every Little Thing. Thus far, the only substantial work on the flimsy Help! album had been Lennon's. Unless McCartney woke up, he risked losing his equal status in the partnership.
[He came up with I've Just Seen A Face, I'm Down and Yesterday, all recorded on the same day and it looks as if his status was saved]

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 10:35:51 PM »

He was absorbed in his life with Jane, their theatrical outings and friends and let John take the upper hand almost in everything, songwriting and songsinging as well.
It is mostly John who sings on those albums.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 11:27:18 PM »

^^^ I think there is some truth in that Jane , you get the feeling in "Many Years From Now" that Paul was really enjoying life in London and his new found family the Asher's .
Yes he took a bit of a breather and let John do the Donkey work on the writing front , taking a bit of a rest as been a pattern of his career , it's maybe why he's had a long one , it's quite a skill to be able to pace yourself ?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 04:23:27 AM »

Their roles flipflopped so it all worked out. Paul took the lead role in the second half of the Beatles career in my opinion.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 10:41:04 PM »

well i think john & paul were pretty much the leaders in th early years, then Lennon began to lose interest and met Yoko and of course Brian died. so Paul sort of became a leader.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

BlueMeanie

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 10:45:13 AM »

It's true Lennon owns the AHDN album. Maybe Paul had a few songs rejected?

I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't check, but were a lot of the songs that they were giving away at the time, mainly Paul songs? Maybe what he was writing just didn't fit the band at that time?

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:54 PM »

Funny now you mention it, it was the 1st Beatle album I had and it certainly left me with an early impression that John was the lead singer.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 73 queries.