Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Sgt. Peppers  (Read 64347 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Beatles under a microscope - Sgt. Peppers
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 11:39:04 PM »

I always thought it was because we didn't have to listen to it for a longer time.

OK, OK...

The Beatles - When I'm Sixty-Four

;D
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 12:54:24 AM »

She’s Leaving Home - When I first listened to the stereo CD in 1987, this song sounded a bit different to me so I pulled out my mono LP and gave it a listen.  The mono version was sped up a semitone higher in pitch.  I prefer the stereo mix; Paul's voice and accent sounds so sad.  It is a sad song after all.  The harp and orchestra add to the morose atmosphere of this song.  John's background vocals and "bye-byes" intensify the gloom.  Regardless, I like this song.  It always stirs up a lot of emotion each time I hear it.

nimrod

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 02:20:54 AM »

I guess it's no coincidence that all my favourite bands appeared on the scene before Sgt. Pepper's was released; but I don't blame the Beatles, someone had to do that soon or later.

With me its the opposite hombre, Im a huge fan of prog/art/symphonic whateveryouwanttocallit rock, all of which appeared AFTER Pepper.
Pepper for me is a defining moment in rock/pop music, its when pop became serious art and bands saw each album as a statement, some bands took the concept album concept to heart and made lots of them, others didnt, but the biggest difference for me was that bands started using the studio as an instrument and taking much longer to craft an album, and utilyzing a huge range of instrumentation and even full orchestra's, like Caravan..

Caravan - For Richard {Part 1 of 2}

After all my studies of the progressive rock era (and I know Im a Beatle fan) I have to cite Pepper as the catalyst for changing everything, someone said (I think it was Bill Brufford) 'after pepper you could do anything, make a song 20 minutes long in 6/8 etc' and that was very very true, popular music did become a serious artform after this album, the possibilities were endless, the Moody Blues did their neo classical Days of Future Past, Pink Floyd did their phsyc classic Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and King Crimson did possibly the first full blown prog album In The Court Of The Crimson King...

It wasnt just the music though, album covers became a piece of art in themselves, Pepper was the first to have lyrics printed on it, and the first to have a gatefold sleeve, and the first to have 'gifts', really it was the first to have something highly creative and not just a photo of the group (although the same could be said of Revolver).......from a black and white world we were transformed into a wonderful world of colour, highly brightly coloured, it seemed to usher in a brave new world where all things were possible and there were new freedoms to enjoy, not just the physical freedoms, but the ones in your head.

Musically the album was a classic.....a masterpiece, from the opening lines of the opener "it was 20 years ago today" sung by Paul with such a masterfull rock voice (was there any better?) Ive seen tribute bands do this, even very good tribute bands, and nobody gets that vibe that Paul got, a subtle level of distortion and clarity.......SURELY, its one of the best sung lines in the history of Rock music.
Absolutely NO fillers for me on here, just pure class and enlightenment, right through to the Lennon masterpiece A Day In The Life, John with this awesome track struck the chord for the times, his creepy distant echoridden deep and meaningfull (slightly mocking) voice with the surreal lyrics (although put to an 'accessible for all' melody) annointed himself emporer of music and popular culture throughout the world.

To truly understand the influence of Sgt. Pepper's one might have needed to have been alive in the 60's. (Im dont know really, I was alive though) we all wanted to buy into this titanic shift in culture of self expression, love and peace......While musically, the album was ambitious and varied, it was the massive cultural effect that makes this one of the all-time great albums in rock history- if not the greatest.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 12:50:03 AM »

Lovely Rita - Does John do the opening ‘Ahhh’s’ here? Sounds like him to me.

It was Paul.

Hey!  Another Ahhh thread would be fun.   ;D

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »

It was Paul.

Hey!  Another Ahhh thread would be fun.   ;D
for what it's worth,i think it's paul 'aaahhh' ing at the start of lovely rita and i am also convinced that they are pauls' 'aaahhh's on a day in the life also.the register is pretty high,i would put money on that it's paul in both cases.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »

...and i am also convinced that they are pauls' 'aaahhh's on a day in the life also.

I agree.

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 11:39:11 PM »

It was Paul.

Hey!  Another Ahhh thread would be fun.   ;D

Its amazing, I always though it was Johns Ahh's on Rita (at the beginning) but since I git the high qaulity headphones its obviously Paul.  :o

John does some greats Ahh's just before the piano solo in the middle though.

I agree with tkitna btw, this is a fantastic song I have always loved it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 12:10:19 AM »

Its amazing, I always though it was Johns Ahh's on Rita (at the beginning) but since I git the high qaulity headphones its obviously Paul.  :o

Now listen to A Day In The Life, Kevin.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »

With me its the opposite hombre, Im a huge fan of prog/art/symphonic whateveryouwanttocallit rock, all of which appeared AFTER Pepper.
Pepper for me is a defining moment in rock/pop music, its when pop became serious art and bands saw each album as a statement, some bands took the concept album concept to heart and made lots of them, others didnt, but the biggest difference for me was that bands started using the studio as an instrument and taking much longer to craft an album, and utilyzing a huge range of instrumentation and even full orchestra's, like Caravan..

Sgt. Pepper's is one of my favourite albums, I just don't like its influence on new bands. My very favourite period in rock music is 1965-1967, more simple times and still very inventive. Rock music didn't need to be serius art to be innovative and enjoyable. I miss those times that I didn't live.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »

Now listen to A Day In The Life, Kevin.

Hmmm...this is different, my head can make it sound like Paul, or John, Im just not sure  ???

nimrod

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »

Sgt. Pepper's is one of my favourite albums, I just don't like its influence on new bands. My very favourite period in rock music is 1965-1967, more simple times and still very inventive. Rock music didn't need to be serius art to be innovative and enjoyable. I miss those times that I didn't live.
of course it didnt, I love that period too, I suppose I was a lot more impressionable in the late 60's early 70's and thats when I started to go to lots of concerts

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 10:45:06 PM »

Hmmm...this is different, my head can make it sound like Paul, or John, Im just not sure  ???

:)

nimrod

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 12:25:43 PM »

Magical Mystery Tour coming soon.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 01:29:38 AM »

Magical Mystery Tour coming soon.

Roll up, roll up... ;)
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »

for what it's worth,i think it's paul 'aaahhh' ing at the start of lovely rita and i am also convinced that they are pauls' 'aaahhh's on a day in the life also.the register is pretty high,i would put money on that it's paul in both cases.

Definitely Paul on Lovely Rita. A Day in the Life however....  roll:)
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2011, 12:08:20 AM »

Paul doing "Aaahhh" on "Lovely Rita" I reckon.

But I'll never hear anyone but John when I listen to the "Aaahhh" on "A Day In The Life"  ;)

The best closure of a Beatles album since the barnstorming Twist And Shout, A Day In The Life must rank as their most truly awesome (in the real sense of the word) track. Within You Without You is more profound, but is lumbered with George's saturnine vocal and a ponderous vibe whereas ADITL simply soars.

A Little Help From My Friends was easily Ringo's finest moment to date, and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds is the definitive Pepper track for me - absolute genius with its hallucinatory merry-go-round melody. I love Getting Better and Fixing A Hole equally - they both have the bright and shiny rainbow coloured stamp of the album about them and I always think of them as sister tracks somehow - two sides of the same coin. Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite! nails the Victorian carnival fairground atmosphere perfectly (largely thanks to George Martin of course - and not for the first time).

The only tracks I don't much care for on side one are the opening theme (but then again it's only really a warm up/scene setter - I prefer the reprise on side two which is much snappier and rockier) and She's Leaving Home which never fits with the rest of the album for me I'm afraid. Too slushy and old fashioned in a way, and at the same time puncturing the dreaminess of the Pepper bubble with its flat, forlorn, humdrum message. That harp promised so much before we were jolted awake into that bleak workaday morning. You can almost hear the milk float and the drizzle above dad's snoring. Too dreary, I want to fall back into the dreams please! Never much cared for it myself though I know it's a highlight for many fans. By comparison When I'm Sixty Four at least has a jaunty mischievous feel to it which I personally find hard to dislike. And who couldn't love Lovely Rita with that spangly guitaaahhh aaahhhhr intro and the cheeky comb and paper? Good Morning Good Morning is another one of the album's few weak spots for me; I can take it or leave it to be honest - perhaps the nearest thing to a filler on this wonderful recording.

How about that LP cover then? Talk about a visual and aural collage....here they went again, blazing trails and setting trends. Fantastic album all round of course...but a sort of psychedelic vaudevillian time capsule which perfectly preserved the zeitgeist of the summer of love in amber- and has consequently dated much more obviously than Revolver, which refuses to be pinned down or categorised.

You've got to hand it to Paul, he had the chutzpah to remould the Beatles as an alter ego travelling sideshow band and the result was an unassailable triumph with John, Ringo, and a strangely subdued George on board.

Paul was the only one who didn't suit a moustache though.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2011, 12:40:17 AM »

Seriously Mr. M, you are the one who should be doing these reviews. You write on a level than I can only dream of scratching. Well done.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 12:56:31 AM »

That's very kind of you tkitna but as usual you're being too hard on yourself. Much as I enjoy chipping in with my opinions these great threads are your baby and I always really look forward to your reviews above all else (no disrespect to others whose contributions always add so much; I love to read everyone's different takes on these wonderful albums).

yerblues1234

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 08:07:32 AM »

that was great!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:11:55 AM by Bobber »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Page created in 0.858 seconds with 82 queries.