Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Sgt. Peppers  (Read 64358 times)

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
Re: Beatles under a microscope - Sgt. Peppers
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2011, 09:28:29 PM »

One of the aspects of A Day in the Life that makes is approach masterpiece level for me is the insertion of the middle section.   I don't think the middle section is anything great by itself but by significantly changing tempo and/or voice mid song and then back again really resonates with me.  I'm trying to think of another example where this approach was done but coming up blank this morning.

I agree with that... I personally prefer the Lennon bits of "A Day In The Life" but it is enhanced immeasurably by the inclusion of McCartney's middle section and the change in tempo. Not unlike Paul's "We Can Work It Out" which benefits so greatly from John's "Life Is Very Short" interlude.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2011, 11:42:53 PM »

Perhaps I worded things rather clumsily... by "lagging behind" I meant, for example, that "Here There And Everywhere" has a Rubber Soul feel to it, and "For No One" and "Good Day Sunshine" (not very "Revolver-ish") are, to my mind, quite conventional, straight laced and old fashioned.

Yes, I can see that also. The way I look at it is that John and George were moving to be more experimental where Paul was falling into his own groove and improving upon familiar areas where he felt comfortable. Without taking too much away from 'Here There & Everywhere' and 'For No One', I feel that Paul could write songs like these all day long. They are nice enough songs and well done, but nothing that causes the casual listener or even Beatle fan to sit up and take notice. I think we're on the same page for the most part Mr.M.

I agree that "Eleanor Rigby" and "Got To Get You Into My Life" are two of the very best cuts on the album.... then again, "Good Day Sunshine" and "Yellow Submarine" - also McCartney songs - are the weakest.

Its pretty clear that I have more tolerance for 'Good Day Sunshine' and 'Yellow Subamarine' than you do and thats perfectly ok. 'GDS' makes me feel happy when I hear it. It has an up tempo and I cant beat it up for what it is, which is a fairly simple pop tune. Maybe its not a great fit on Revolver, but its never bothered me being there either. I think it brings the album up some. 'YS',,,we'll just skip over this song for now. It is what it is.

Paul seems to be going in one direction whereas John, George and even Ringo are heading in the other. Significantly "She Said She Said" - which just might be my very favourite on this album - apparently doesn't feature Paul at all.

Agreed and he still didnt stray very far on Peppers with songs like 'She's Leaving Home' and 'When I'm 64'. John (and even George) were definatly the psychedelic song writers where Paul liked to stay closer to pop and ballads. I have a hard time thinking of any Paul songs being actual pysch ones to be honest. Thats alright though.

nimrod

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2011, 12:22:59 AM »

'Here There & Everywhere' and 'For No One', I feel that Paul could write songs like these all day long. They are nice enough songs and well done, but nothing that causes the casual listener or even Beatle fan to sit up and take notice.

I wouldnt call HT&E a nice enough song, Id call it a classic, It was ranked the 4th greatest song of all time by Mojo in 2000.

McCartney said the song is one of his favourites. Beatles' producer George Martin has also mentioned it as one of his favourite McCartney songs. John Lennon reportedly told McCartney it was "The best tune on the album" and said in his 1980 Playboy interview it was "one of my favourite songs of the Beatles."

I also thought Eleanor Rigby was a very innovative song for the mid sixties and is also important in The Beatles' evolution from a pop, live-performance band to a more experimental, studio-oriented band.
In a 1967 interview Pete Townshend commented "I think 'Eleanor Rigby' was a very important musical move forward. It certainly inspired me to write and listen to things in that vein."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2011, 01:11:46 AM »

I wouldnt call HT&E a nice enough song, Id call it a classic, It was ranked the 4th greatest song of all time by Mojo in 2000.

McCartney said the song is one of his favourites. Beatles' producer George Martin has also mentioned it as one of his favourite McCartney songs. John Lennon reportedly told McCartney it was "The best tune on the album" and said in his 1980 Playboy interview it was "one of my favourite songs of the Beatles."

It must be me, because I have never felt that this song was all that much. For the life of me, i'll never figure out why its so highly touted. I think a song like 'And I Love Her' is far superior and even a song like 'Michelle' would rank right there beside it. I guess i'll never get it.

I also thought Eleanor Rigby was a very innovative song for the mid sixties and is also important in The Beatles' evolution from a pop, live-performance band to a more experimental, studio-oriented band.
In a 1967 interview Pete Townshend commented "I think 'Eleanor Rigby' was a very important musical move forward. It certainly inspired me to write and listen to things in that vein."

I've often talked about 'Eleanor Rigby' and thrown the word masterpiece around when doing so. No argument here.

nimrod

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2011, 02:49:47 AM »

It must be me, because I have never felt that this song was all that much. For the life of me, i'll never figure out why its so highly touted. I think a song like 'And I Love Her' is far superior and even a song like 'Michelle' would rank right there beside it. I guess i'll never get it.

I think its the melody Todd, HT&E has an exquisitely beautiful melody, all Pauls love songs do but this one is just so achingly gorgeous, a bit like God Only Knows has.....I always the beach boys did it too fast, neil diamond did a slower more dramatic version of GOK and for me it brought out the sheer beauty of it.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »

No doubt Sgt. Peppers would be hard to beat with Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane on it. Never understood this policy with leaving the singles out of the albums.
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

nimrod

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2011, 10:45:57 PM »

No doubt Sgt. Peppers would be hard to beat with Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane on it. Never understood this policy with leaving the singles out of the albums.

For me, if those 2 songs had made the album it would have been THE greatest album ever made Brynjar

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2011, 10:58:55 PM »

For me, if those 2 songs had made the album it would have been THE greatest album ever made Brynjar

You're probably right, since it would be the greatest single ever included on one of the greatest albums ever. Which songs would you have replaced? For me it's hard to tell. I think A-side is great the way it is; probably I would have quit "Lovely Rita" and "Good Morning Good Morning", but I still like them both.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2011, 04:34:54 AM »

You're probably right, since it would be the greatest single ever included on one of the greatest albums ever. Which songs would you have replaced? For me it's hard to tell. I think A-side is great the way it is; probably I would have quit "Lovely Rita"

Todd just choked on his Wheaties  ha2ha

I would take away Fixing A Hole and She's Leaving Home

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2011, 06:48:19 AM »

NO GOD! PLEASE NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOO
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »

I love both songs, especially the latter, which I think is one of the most beautfiul pieces of music in The Beatles catalogue.I would've replaced "When I'm Sixty Four" with "Strawberry Fields" because I think it would fit good after "Within You Without You" and "Good Morning" with "Penny Lane" just to keep the kind of happy mood along with "Lovely Rita" and the "Reprise".
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2011, 01:45:24 PM »

Paul doing "Aaahhh" on "Lovely Rita" I reckon.

But I'll never hear anyone but John when I listen to the "Aaahhh" on "A Day In The Life"  ;)

It's just come on as I was reading that. I think it's  Paul. John might be in there but I'm convinced it's predominantly Paul.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »

And who couldn't love Lovely Rita with that spangly guitaaahhh aaahhhhr intro

Good to see LR gettting some love on this thread. I've always loved it. Pure melodic macca magic. I like yer discription of the intro guitar work as spangly.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2011, 02:21:20 PM »

I think Revolver is the only Beatles album where John and Paul are virtually tied. First, each one was the main author of 5 songs (though I'm not counting "Yellow Submarine"). I agree with you that Paul wrote the best songs there in terms of songwriting, but John's ones were much more innovative in terms of sound, they sounded like nothing made before, though it seems that most fans don't like "Tomorrow Never Knows" as much as I do.
Thing is with that is that it was Paul who brought in the tape loops that made TNK so innovative and George played the backward guitar solo and if I remember rightly I've read somewhere that he did the guitar while no one else was there or maybe that was the guitar solo in I'm only sleeping.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »

P Significantly "She Said She Said" - which just might be my very favourite on this album - apparently doesn't feature Paul at all.

No. He left the stuido after an argument. I wonder what happend that day. Very s trange.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »

YWithout taking too much away from 'Here There & Everywhere' and 'For No One', I feel that Paul could write songs like these all day long. They are nice enough songs and well done, but nothing that causes the casual listener or even Beatle fan to sit up and take notice.
What a strange thing to say! Most Beatles fans seem  to consider them sublime masterpieces of the very highest order!
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2011, 02:42:26 PM »

I've often talked about 'Eleanor Rigby' and thrown the word masterpiece around when doing so. No argument here.
Not from me either. I think it's the Beatles greatest song which it is a bit of sorry thing to say considering it's only got Paul on it...or has it? ;D
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

KelMar

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2011, 03:28:02 AM »

I love both songs, especially the latter

I'm glad I'm not the only one who really likes "She's Leaving Home." I thought it was just because I'm sentimental and have looked at it as both a daughter and a mother. Although my daughter has come back and sometimes it's more like a country song here..."How Can I Miss You When You Won't Leave" or whatever it's called. I know she feels the same at times too!

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2011, 03:56:44 AM »

I love every single song on the Sgt. Pepper's album! In my opinion, you have to listen to the Sgt. Pepper's album in its entirety, every song contributes as an important element.     

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2011, 05:31:09 AM »

probably I would have quit "Lovely Rita"

What in Gods name are you thinking man.  ha2ha
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Page created in 1.26 seconds with 82 queries.