Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Microscope: Electronic Sound  (Read 5367 times)

Bobber

Microscope: Electronic Sound
« on: November 16, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »

George Harrison - Electronic Sound

released May 1969

music
[myoo-zik]
noun

• an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
  • the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
  • musical work or compositions for singing or playing.
  • the written or printed score of a musical composition.
  • such scores collectively.
  • any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound:
    the music of the waves.
  • appreciation of or responsiveness to musical sounds or harmonies:
    Music was in his very soul.

01 Under The Mersey Wall
02 No Time Or Space

Both pieces do not fit in any of the 7 beforementioned points. This is no music. There is not even an idea or an artistic creation. Completely unlistenable. It’s just  a collection of electronic sounds. Maybe in 1969 this was revolutionary. Well, it hasn’t aged well.

More information on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Sound. How allmusic can make 4 stars (of a maximum of 5) out of this is a mystery to me. Can somebody explain that to me?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Microscope: Electronic Sound
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »

George Harrison - Electronic Sound

released May 1969

[
01 Under The Mersey Wall
02 No Time Or Space

It’s just  a collection of electronic sounds.

I suppose the album title is just an accurate description then

;)

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »

I suppose the album title is just an accurate description then

;)

I'm happy he didn't call it Electronic Music.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »

John had the nerve to release "Unfinished Music" Nos 1 & 2 but at least he didn't have the cheek to call them "Finished"!

Like those albums, this one can also be consigned to the "keep closed" vault. I'd actually prefer it to be called "Electronic Noise" since that conveys a more honest hint of the garbage awaiting the unwary listener.

Pure, self indulgent, pretentious, random, shallow, pointless CRAP.

Would it have seen the light of day (or grace any of our record collections) had it not been recorded by a Beatle? Be honest?

For me the Zapple label gave us the musical equivalent of the worst types of "modern art" whereby creative talent is completely abandoned in favour of being self-deluded and articulate enough to concoct an artsy-fartsy argument able to convince enough gullible punters (if you can find them) to swallow such specious bullsh*t.

"Under The Mersey Wall" is the better of the two tracks for no other reason than it finishes six and a half minutes sooner.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:26:05 PM »

Yep this one is total rubbish. What on earth possessed George to release these which are effectively just doodlings checking out his new toy to see how it works. Unless he was testing the limits on what Beatle fans would fork money out for. I do this stuff all the time playing around with my various music software. I didn't know I could be a prolific electronic artist just by releasing it every time I had forty minutes of random noise.

The most amusing line I heard was when Bernie Krause,  his unwitting collaborator on the album, remonstrated with George about using his "themes" the writer pondered why on earth anyone would want to claim it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 12:19:17 AM »

Electronic Sound

01 Under The Mersey Wall
02 No Time Or Space

sh*t

The End

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 12:45:58 AM »

Would it have seen the light of day (or grace any of our record collections) had it not been recorded by a Beatle? Be honest?

It certainly wouldn't have been noticed if it was. The closest I can think of like this is Lou Reeds Metal Machine Music. Which seemed to be a p*sstake relying on fans of the underground to do all the justifying.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 05:21:05 AM »

"Under The Mersey Wall" is the better of the two tracks for no other reason than it finishes six and a half minutes sooner.

LOL, good one Mustard!   ha2ha

And here's my 2-cents: There is certainly No Time or Space in which this record should ever be played and it most definitely deserves to be buried Under The Mersey Wall!
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 08:27:51 AM »

Probably not. George had the equipment, opportunity and label to release it. That's about it.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 09:05:07 AM »

How allmusic can make 4 stars (of a maximum of 5) out of this is a mystery to me. Can somebody explain that to me?

"No Time or Space" is the masterpiece of the record. Dramatically structured, unearthly in its pitchless writhing, flamboyantly manipulating pink and white noise from the opening electronic gun battle onward, "No Time or Space" is still an entertaining listening experience..."

That's how it seems  ???

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 05:08:10 AM »

I suppose to be gracious, it's possible that the Moog was so revolutionary at the time that musos like George genuinely thought people would want to hear the stuff it could do. The fact he had an electronic music guy complaining he'd used his stuff suggests George wasn't alone doing something in this space. And what he was doing wasn't far removed from what others were doing.

Still rubbish though.

Page created in 1.592 seconds with 60 queries.